facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 23, 2011, 09:36 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Football world cup er shomoi Bangladesh e ki hoy janen vai ra? Prottek barir saad e hoy Brazil na hole Argentinar potaka urte thake. Manush jon Brazil Argentinar jersey pore, gaal e potaka eke "Argentina Brazil" bole chilla chilli kore gola fatiye thake...Abar ei shob manush rai jokhon Bangladesh er khela hoi tokhon Bangladesh Bangladesh bole gola fatai..

Shadhinotar maash e ei rokom Nirlojjo achoron...Ki aar bolbo vai. Nichu matha aaro nichu hoye gese..

Old March 23, 2011, 09:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
mate, i have no problem with supporting other teams or even Pakistan. read it carefully what i meant ! I find it offensive to wear Pakistani flag specially coloring your body with Pakistani flag color. More even, when we are going to celebrate Independence Day just after 3 days. anyway, You have to be old enough to understand such emotion. Emotion and logic does not always go hand in hand.
What does this cricket match have to do with Independence day?! You're bringing politics into sport, I dont think theres anything wrong with wearing another countries flag or coloring their color on your body , I painted my face red,black and yellow(german flag colors) during the 2010 football world cup, its scary that you find it offensive, maybe because you're a little narrow-minded, and I think im old enough to understand both emotion and logic. The nationalism every person feels is upto them, you cant and shouldnt force you're national beliefs and emotion on someone and also cant expect them to see things the same way you do, the fans in the stadium didnt think about all these bs when they were supporting another team, they were celebrating cricket.

Last edited by Abirz; March 23, 2011 at 10:14 AM..
Old March 23, 2011, 09:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
Football world cup er shomoi Bangladesh e ki hoy janen vai ra? Prottek barir saad e hoy Brazil na hole Argentinar potaka urte thake. Manush jon Brazil Argentinar jersey pore, gaal e potaka eke "Argentina Brazil" bole chilla chilli kore gola fatiye thake...Abar ei shob manush rai jokhon Bangladesh er khela hoi tokhon Bangladesh Bangladesh bole gola fatai..

Shadhinotar maash e ei rokom Nirlojjo achoron...Ki aar bolbo vai. Nichu matha aaro nichu hoye gese..
Yea exactly, During the football WC people die for Brazil and Argentina, the whole country, I see more Brazilian and Argentinian flags than Bangladeshi flags, the streets are full of Brazil/Argentina flag grafitti, people dont have a problem that time about nationalism and other things, so why now

Main thing is, sport and politics shouldnt meet, they're 2 different things and should stay that way, Enjoy sport as sport, nothing more
Old March 23, 2011, 09:51 AM
Club Cricketer

On the Government and International level, Pakistan and BD are friends and help out each other whenever they can.
On the people level they both recognize and support each other
I dont know why people keep bringing this up. Noone is happy about 71, but its important to learn from mistakes and move on. There is no enmity among our nations.

I expect BD to be fully supported in Pakistan as well. Afridi and Hafeez failed to realize that most of the people supporting them were actually bangladeshis. But while we are watching everything so clearly on the screens they are in the field thinking about the game, not the fans.
But I would personally like to thank all the BD supporters.
PS. I would be waving BD flag on any BD match, unless its against Pakistan.
Old March 23, 2011, 10:02 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abirz
, I dont think theres anything wrong with wearing another countries flag or coloring their color on your body , .
There is nothing wrong with that but keep in mind that this is March we are talking about. Our Independence month. Even though I hate to mix sports with politics, I find it offensive to see a Bangali guy painting his body with Pakistani flag. I have no problem supporting Pakistan team but paining your body with Pakistan flag? Its like seeing a jewish guy painting his body with Nazzi Swastica.
Old March 23, 2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Lol Afridi and Hafeez thanking the crowd who they think "came all the way from Pakistan." They don't realise that 95% of those who were supporting them were Bangladeshi. A big slap on the face of the crowd but I doubt they even mind. It's good to see the crowd enjoy themselves but the level of support some of them showed was frankly embarrassing. With all the face (and body) painting and Pakistani flag waving you would think that Pakistan is their first team. And mind you it's supposed to be our independence day in three days!!
Why mixing sports with politics? WI ruined our QF dream, thus, Tiger supporters were cheering for the Pakis. Don't see anything else here.
Old March 23, 2011, 10:19 AM
Administrator

This is not about mixing sports and politics. This is about our self respect as a nation. Just 2 days before the black night of March 25, we Bangladeshis wave the same flag under which the Genocide was wrought. I see no harm in supporting Pak over WI in a sporting fashion but the degree to which we sold our self respect was sad to watch.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old March 23, 2011, 10:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
There is nothing wrong with that but keep in mind that this is March we are talking about. Our Independence month. Even though I hate to mix sports with politics, I find it offensive to see a Bangali guy painting his body with Pakistani flag. I have no problem supporting Pakistan team but paining your body with Pakistan flag? Its like seeing a jewish guy painting his body with Nazzi Swastica.
I understand where you're coming from, but I guess for most bengalis nowadays(atleast those my age group-yound adults), they've moved on from 71, because that happened in a different age and generation, it doesnt really affect people my age now in bangladesh or bengalis living abroad, same with Germans today, one of my friends a german, you can imagine what she must go through(shes been called a nazi many times) but she doesnt care because it was wayy before any of us were born, another generation, so doesnt really affect us
Old March 23, 2011, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
What does this cricket match have to do with Independence day?! You're bringing politics into sport, I dont think theres anything wrong with wearing another countries flag or coloring their color on your body , I painted my face red,black and yellow(german flag colors) during the 2010 football world cup, its scary that you find it offensive, maybe because you're a little narrow-minded, and I think im old enough to understand both emotion and logic. The nationalism every person feels is upto them, you cant and shouldnt force you're national beliefs and emotion on someone and also cant expect them to see things the same way you do, the fans in the stadium didnt think about all these bs when they were supporting another team, they were celebrating cricket.
AbirZ - you do know about Bangladesh history don't you? Perhaps then you could understand the distinction of someone sporting the colors of Brazil or Argentina and that of sporting the colors of Pakistan.

Gander over to http://www.virtualbangladesh.com/history/ for some context. It is relevant.

Old March 23, 2011, 10:27 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Morgan and Big Z

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from, but I guess for most bengalis nowadays(atleast those my age group-yound adults), they've moved on from 71, because that happened in a different age and generation, it doesnt really affect people my age now in bangladesh or bengalis living abroad, same with Germans today, one of my friends a german, you can imagine what she must go through(shes been called a nazi many times) but she doesnt care because it was wayy before any of us were born, another generation, so doesnt really affect us
I am about the same age as you, I was like you before but after reading about our history and the genocide it did affect me. There are videos which one of my friend showed me and I tell you it's horrific and sad. I would never paint a flag of Pakistan on my face because we are not doing justice to the people who have sacrificed their lives for our freedom of speech. Also, hearing stories from my grand father who was a target as he was an economics professor in City College made me feel quite disgusted. It's funny how many still roots for Pakistan and not for India.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMg9Ly9nK0g
Old March 23, 2011, 10:29 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Don't think there was anything political in my post. Just pointing out the lack of self-respect of some Bangladeshis. Even after their vehement support the captain and MoM of the team didn't feel it necessary enough to acknowledge them. And those who think the support will be reciprocated when we play in Pakistan go look at the highlights of the Asia Cup. Not even a 100 people turned up to watch Bangladesh play.
Old March 23, 2011, 10:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
AbirZ - you do know about Bangladesh history don't you? Perhaps then you could understand the distinction of someone sporting the colors of Brazil or Argentina and that of sporting the colors of Pakistan.

Gander over to http://www.virtualbangladesh.com/history/ for some context. It is relevant.

Actually I do know about the history sir, just that bengalis and people in general are much more liberal and open minded now when it comes to these things, since it doesnt really affect us, but then again that's only a personal view and coz I was born and raised in another country,someone whos been through 71 and really understands what it means to be Bangladeshi will have completely different feelings and views
Old March 23, 2011, 11:00 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tendulkar & Ash

Quote:
Actually I do know about the history sir, just that bengalis and people in general are much more liberal and open minded now when it comes to these things, since it doesnt really affect us, but then again that's only a personal viewand coz I was born and raised in another country,someone whos been through 71 and really understands what it means to be Bangladeshi will have completely different feelings and views
To show respect to 71 at the month of March needs no reason.

I used to be a hardcore Pak cricket supporter. But day by day I learned by myself that I should not support anything related Pakistan as a son of a freedom fighter, its not like I will hate a Pakistani guy for no reason. But I've problem with that country name and that flag. Some people take easily everything thats bring us to see pakistani flag painted on some faces in the month of March. Its not about politics. Sports is also part of a country's identity.

Last edited by parvez; March 23, 2011 at 11:20 AM..
Old March 23, 2011, 11:12 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

lets not mix sports and politics..Bangladesh crowd is the best, just goes to show the spirit of cricket in this country and heart of the people supporting the game
Old March 23, 2011, 11:19 AM
Cricket Legend

just have one thing to say about this match. We could have scored 112 (if we tried very hard) and lose by 10 wickets as well. thats what you did with our spot WI...?? arrite now come play a series against us now...
Old March 23, 2011, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by munnabhai
I am about the same age as you, I was like you before but after reading about our history and the genocide it did affect me. There are videos which one of my friend showed me and I tell you it's horrific and sad. I would never paint a flag of Pakistan on my face because we are not doing justice to the people who have sacrificed their lives for our freedom of speech. Also, hearing stories from my grand father who was a target as he was an economics professor in City College made me feel quite disgusted. It's funny how many still roots for Pakistan and not for India.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMg9Ly9nK0g
I think the primary reason for rooting for Pakistan and not India is the deep rooted belief of the Two nation theory and the fact that India is predominantly Hindu dominated. Irrational issues, not followed by the majority of Bangladeshi's but then a few like to hold things past. Same on our side.....so what's the point in allowing a fringe movement to take centerstage.......
Old March 23, 2011, 11:32 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco
lets not mix sports and politics..Bangladesh crowd is the best, just goes to show the spirit of cricket in this country and heart of the people supporting the game
We live in a world in which politics are mixed in every school of thoughts. And its not mixing sports and politics. Read Zunaid bhai's post.
Old March 23, 2011, 11:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
I think the primary reason for rooting for Pakistan and not India is the deep rooted belief of the Two nation theory and the fact that India is predominantly Hindu dominated. Irrational issues, not followed by the majority of Bangladeshi's but then a few like to hold things past. Same on our side.....so what's the point in allowing a fringe movement to take centerstage.......
There are loads of India supporters here as well. Its just that the likes of mandira bedi, sidhu, harbhajan, sehwag's attitude towards BD cricket has put some of the ppl off recently.

But still i think you would see a stadium packed when india plays now. Lot of Tendulkar fans here too

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

Last edited by Rifat_02; March 23, 2011 at 12:24 PM..
Old March 23, 2011, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Lol Afridi and Hafeez thanking the crowd who they think "came all the way from Pakistan." They don't realise that 95% of those who were supporting them were Bangladeshi. A big slap on the face of the crowd but I doubt they even mind. It's good to see the crowd enjoy themselves but the level of support some of them showed was frankly embarrassing. With all the face (and body) painting and Pakistani flag waving you would think that Pakistan is their first team. And mind you it's supposed to be our independence day in three days!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubho
Unbelievably disgusting scenes at Mirpur (and on this forum) today. All the fawning, flag-waving for Pakistan has made me sick to my stomach. We need to set up a new Geneva camp where we can ship these people.
+

There are Pakis now that think Paki team will get this sort of support if they play against BD in Dhaka. What a disgrace. Its true what they say "People get the government they deserve"
Old March 23, 2011, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiator
I agree, but I am not surprised. If BD was playing in Pak, they would have gotten similar support, so not surprised at all.
Nope, Pakistanis don't even show up when Bangladesh plays in Pakistan forget about support.
Old March 23, 2011, 12:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

The scoreboard suggests it was a completely one sided affair. Well done Pakistan. Don't be surprised if they go all the way.

As for as Bangladeshis supporting Pak- nothing wrong with that. Infact, I would be surprised if it wasn't. Many of BD fan grew up following Pakistani great fast bowlers and great batsmen. When BD got shot out for 58 and 78 I had nothing but encouraging words from Pakistanis here in England. Many of them are keen followers of Shakib, Tamim, Imrul and Shafiul and Rubel now.

Independence was a monumental achievement for us. We should respect and value this chapter of our history. But we should also move on. Most Pakistanis I know are very remorseful about the whole incident. We have moved on from the British aspect of our history.

As far as the over the top kind of fan behaviour that us just being us. Balanced and Bangali -not a very common commodity in the market. We also have to bear in mind that vast populace of BD are very young in age.
Old March 23, 2011, 02:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Too many unnecessary posts on Pakistan. Its understandable why there is quite a lot support for pakistan, I mean most bengalis (especially muslim) share the same ancestry and culture. There is a lot of common ground to be shared. If this was Bangladesh vs West Indies in Lahore, you would get lots of Pakistanis suppporting BD.

I guess you can see pakistan as the older brother, who beat you up recklessly in the past, but he's still your brother at the end of the day.

And Im so glad, the crappy West Indies got trumped, they dont even deserve to be there.

Last edited by Nafi; March 23, 2011 at 02:15 PM..
Old March 23, 2011, 02:21 PM
Test Cricketer

Ok, just saw the highlights of the match. West Indies were simply out of touch. Pakistan also had some follies on the field. Now, the equation is clear for everybody. You can't win a world cup unless you beat Australia and South Africa in the knock out stage.
Old March 23, 2011, 02:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Some people, specially people who didn't followed PAK team closely from last summer, underestimated the potential strength. PAK is one of the few teams who are balanced.

Unlike other PAK teams of past this team is less talented, but more organized, better motivated and better trained, and more predictable and balanced.

Even without their banned FBs, they are still very good balanced bowling attack. Gul is slowly regainging his form back, As ususal, Afridi is getting wickets, Ajmal/Rehman is above average and effective, Hafeez is just becoming more reliable and effective with the ball that you can trust on him with powerplay. Razzak is ok as a sixth bowler. Only weak link till now is Riaz/S.Akther.

If their opening pair of Hafeez/Kamran works out, then they have solid (but little bit slow) #3/#4/#5 in Asad/Younis/Misbah. Then they have talented Umar, who is regaining his form back; followed by explosive Afridi and Razzak. Gul is not bad with slogging, nor is Riad.

The other suspected areas, fielding and wicket keeping, they did ok for this game.

yes their batting is not as explosive as India or SA, but their bowling is as good and as balanced as SA.

As long as they can keep the oppoenent below 280, their batting lineup is good enough to give PAK a good chance to chase.

Bowling wise very few teams will be able to set a target of 300+ against PAK team, even if the pitch is batting friendly.

So I say watch out, we can see a PAK vs SA final.
Old March 23, 2011, 02:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
I guess you can see pakistan as the older brother, who beat you up recklessly in the past, but he's still your brother at the end of the day.
You can also add 'raped and killed your sister and mother and killed your dad and friends and 'younger' brothers' and they are still the older brother. Salute them, support them, thank them and feel proud that they still consider you as their younger brother.