facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 16, 2005, 12:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Biggest Positive From Today\'s Match

A lot of people will say Aftab, and of course, Aftab's batting was a delight to watch. What a player he is turning out to be.

But, in my opinion, the best part of Bangladesh' batting today was the number of singles they took. I have been saying this for four years straight, our batsmen always just try to hit boundaries in ODIs, and if they could just learn to place the ball around and take an extra single every over, our scores would be 50 more than what we usually get. That is exactly what happened today.

If Bangladesh played its normal ODI game, we would have been out in the 45th over for 140. But thanks to running a lot of singles, we got up to 190. At times, they took risky singles, especially to a player like Collingwood. And of course, Aftab's dismissal was unfortunate, they shouldn't have taken on Pieterson's arm. So, they have more work to do in figuring out which fielders to take on. But, the general effort was excellent. If we can keep it up, we will put up some decent scores (in BD's context) in this series. If we now can learn to bat for 50 overs, I see no reason why we shouldn't cross 200 a few times.

Old June 16, 2005, 12:17 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Totally agree with you
Old June 16, 2005, 12:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Yes, BD, as a team, took at least one step towards right direction today.

Edited on, June 16, 2005, 5:19 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.
Old June 16, 2005, 12:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Mashrafe and Rafique contributing important runs down the order.
Old June 16, 2005, 12:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

The running was specially good with Aftab in the middle. He is a sure star in the making. His shots race away to the boundary. His biggest attribute to me is his ability to play on the back-foot. Very un-Bangladeshi. Offcourse he makes good timing shots on the front foot as well. He has a particular liking for Flintoff obviously. He is easily the best all-around batsmen that we have. He has been a huge positive for us.

Another positive to me was Mashrafee getting back his batting confidence back. Him and rafiq are valuable lower order run getters for us.
Old June 16, 2005, 12:34 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Idetification of our main problem this series: our bowling & fielding.
Old June 16, 2005, 12:36 PM
Cricket Guru

We should host a fundraiser in this forum to get the money for a one-way tkt home right now. Chacha needs to pack his kits and go back to the cave he came out from. Pathetic..
Old June 16, 2005, 12:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

no possitives to me.........same old story.............before today...........we went 3 step down.....today has progress 2 step........no gain.......er ageu erokom bohubar hoise.......early collapse......Pailot/Rafiq giving some respectabilty.......

ajke possitive mone hocche, karon ajker agey ei tour e amra aro kharap kheltesilam........asole amra 4/5 mas agey jemon kheltam ajke amader batting kichuta serokom hoise.......but agai nai kisu
Old June 16, 2005, 01:21 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Positives

- aftab (good score, and decent pace 51 off 58)
- nafis (can't remember how he got out but played fairly well)
- the many singles we took
- mashrafee back amongst the runs, rafiq contributing something
Old June 16, 2005, 01:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Sham is right- i thought that at one point Rafique played a mature spell taking those valuable singles. I also thought that Naz played intelligently at the end trying his best to give the strike to Masri. My positive was the fact that we played 45 overs.
Old June 16, 2005, 01:31 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Out of those 190 runs....
-90 came from bounderies
-92 from singles and leg-by's
-8 from NB and WB

Thats almost 50%-50% between boundery & running.
Surely a good improvement from BD side.... as they tend to score 60-70% runs via 4's & 6's !!
Old June 16, 2005, 01:32 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by yaseer
ajke possitive mone hocche, karon ajker agey ei tour e amra aro kharap kheltesilam........asole amra 4/5 mas agey jemon kheltam ajke amader batting kichuta serokom hoise.......but agai nai kisu
Right! 190 run kore ar moddhe kono positive khojar mane hoy na.Amar kache setai positive jokhon team ar sobai eksathe valo khelbe or kono na konovabe obodan rakhbe.Ajke aftab 50 korlo so sobar kache aeta positive,next match a marle abar oeta negative.So sobai valo khelle amar kache positive.Arokom choto khato positive khuje nijeke ar koidin santona dewa jae! Akram bulbul der jugeo amra arokom score kortam,tokhono oneke 40+ kore felto,but ajke 2005 ae amader kono unnoti hoy ni.So positive kichue nai.
Old June 16, 2005, 01:34 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

And it was a great relief to see Masree's 29 of 24!!
Old June 16, 2005, 01:43 PM
ODI Cricketer

Its not acceptable that our bowlers couldn't take even one English wicket. Thats the biggest negative.
Old June 16, 2005, 02:12 PM
Street Cricketer

I agree with bd_ cricketer. there sould be some changes FOR NEXT ODI.
Old June 16, 2005, 02:13 PM
Cricket Guru

I really have no answer to why the sudden demise of our bowlers. It has been one constant with us, the relatively better bowling compared to the batting, for the past few years. We have managed to make people compete by taking wkts even when we posted meager totals. Though 190 is not a huge score, under such damp conditions it wasn't such a gimmie total either. Now in this series ( test and ODI ) we can't even come close to bothering any batsman. Trescothic is dominating us in every game from the get go. We all thought our bowlers ( seamers ) will do decent in English conditions. Not to be. Apart from Mashrafee every other seamer is getting pelted. This will put too much pressure on him and I am afraid may get him injured again. Rafiq is being treated like a school boy spinner by the English who supposedly weak against spin bowling. Maybe we need a bowling coach. I think thats a priority. Or, is it could be that England is really really good these days? and better than any team that we have faced in recent memory.
Old June 16, 2005, 02:26 PM
First Class Cricketer

May be we can give Tresco and Straus some extra-jhal chotpoti with vejal toileter pani ?
Old June 16, 2005, 02:27 PM
Cricket Legend

i dont think our bowlers did that bad really. the english batsmen know how to play them well. that's all.
Old June 16, 2005, 02:32 PM
Cricket Guru

I think for certain players struggling at the moment like Nafis, Ash etc, a change of sceneary is needed. Meaning playing against someone other than England. Though Australia is hardly the ideal scenario, it might, just might give the out form players something different for a change. Goes for the bowlers too.
Old June 16, 2005, 03:15 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Beamer
He is a sure star in the making.
I agree with you, but I am scared after I saw ASH, Alok, S Nafees, Nafees Iqbal and all others..

All of them showed great talents, and they just fade away after one or two series.. Hope this is not the case for Aftab..
Old June 16, 2005, 03:32 PM
Cricket Legend

None of the players that you have mentioned (apart from Alok but he will be back) have faded away. They are still there. Some of them, Ash especially, is out of form. That can happen to anyone. Usually, Ashraful gives his wicket away. In this series, apart from that horrendous shot in the second innings of the second Test, Ashraful has just looked generally out of touch.

Now, the biggest problem with our system is, we push young players into the Test side too early. Doing well in an u19 world cup shouldnt get anyone into a national team. The same people they played against and beat at the under 19 level will go back to their countries and play 4-5 years of domestic cricket, get coached, get their game fine-tuned before they are even considered for Test cricket. Whereas our players get thrown in at the deep end and take 10 years to figure out how to survive there. There is a bloody reason why you learn to swim in the shallow end, you dont drown and die if things go wrong.

Aftab will "fade" too, but the point is to give them support, now that we have thrown them all in there, and try to work with them when they are out of form or going through a difficult period. If it were up to me, I wouldn't take any new face in our national team for the next two to three years atleast. No Himel, no Shafaq, no Rassell, no Shamsur! They will have to wait till they are 22-23 before they are considered.
Old June 16, 2005, 03:38 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Did this little research just from curiousity

Aravinda De Silva's early career record, when Srilanka was a minnow in Test Cricket.

(Filter used: matches that ended before 1/Jan/1988)

Test:
Mat I NO Runs HS1 HS2 HS3 Ave 100 50 0
13 24 2 626 122 105 75 28.45 2 1 0

ODI:
42 40 6 791 86 81* 52 23.26 0 6 2
Old June 16, 2005, 03:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

remember couple of months ago

Afridi is worse than Ashraful
Nafees Iqbal next captain of Bangladesh

Sham saying BD will have to play 10 time better than we did vs ZIM when we play Eng.

and now all ths talk, most of us are so quick to come to judgements.

Give some credit to england, there just better than us. Plus were not used to these conditions. If we were playing at Bangladesh we'd make this a real series with enamual and rafique giving england fits. Then being hit by Mashrafe
Old June 16, 2005, 03:41 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

[quote]Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Did this little research just from curiousity

Aravinda De Silva's early career record, when Srilanka was a minnow in Test Cricket.

(Filter used: matches that ended before 1/Jan/1988)

Test:
13 24 2 626 122 105 75 28.45 2 1 0

who r u comparing him to ashraful?still 28 avg would be 2nd best in this team.
Old June 16, 2005, 07:04 PM
Test Cricketer

i think today the posative thing about today was aftabs 51. this is his second consecutive half century in odi. his last one was 81* in the 5th odi against zimbabwe. he had a great test series too. i hope he can keep it up. other then that for us scoring 190 is good but the bowling was pathetic. masrafee, aftab and rafique save some runs but nazmul was dissapointing and khaled mahmud may have put a nail in the coffin of his career with 39 runs in 3 overs.