facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Closed Thread

Old September 8, 2017, 02:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

If cricket becomes all T20, then majority will stop watching/following the sport, except for those in India.

You take FIFA as a prime example, they are vertically integrating almost everything, the world cup has 64 teams(yes 64) and a qualifying stage consisting of 164 nations participating even North Korea. Meanwhile ICC is still stuck having only 12 Full member nations, with no signs of expanding the game. I wonder where all this revenue goes, if the game isn't expanding it will be never close to league of Football, basketball of even hockey.

Old September 8, 2017, 03:01 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: MS.Dhoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Bhai, if the world is going to be just T20s then indeed us old fogies will probably fade away. If it is to be, it is to be. I cannot get excited by a format that is just instant gratification. It's like taking a love cuppa tea and rusk and then just grinding the biscuit into the tea, NO2 cooling it and drinking it down in one gulp.
Don't worry RazabQ, our(BCCI) next project is ITL(Indian Test League).

The business model of ITL differs slightly from IPL, here you and sponsors will pay certain amount and once we get enough profit, we will conduct the test match between preferred city teams.

If you want country vs country then BD has to compete with other world teams in bidding for the honor of playing with India. Bidding can be in any form like 6 away tour for 1 home tour (or) sharing greater than 90% media revenue in home tours etc.,
Old September 8, 2017, 03:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Quote:
Originally Posted by senman
Don't worry RazabQ, our(BCCI) next project is ITL(Indian Test League).

The business model of ITL differs slightly from IPL, here you and sponsors will pay certain amount and once we get enough profit, we will conduct the test match between preferred city teams.

If you want country vs country then BD has to compete with other world teams in bidding for the honor of playing with India. Bidding can be in any form like 6 away tour for 1 home tour (or) sharing greater than 90% media revenue in home tours etc.,
I hope you are being sarcastic, because this looks like a very scary business model.
Old September 8, 2017, 03:48 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Great Job senman, you are making austin proud in his absence
Old September 8, 2017, 04:11 AM
Cricket Legend

India should play most their tests at home or nearby.
Oh they do.
Old September 8, 2017, 04:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockley
India should play most their tests at home or nearby.
Oh they do.
I don't understand how is this comment even relevant to this thread topic mate.

Check our schedules from 2011-early 2015, we played majority of the tests outside, why so much hurt-burn over our home session?
Old September 8, 2017, 04:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Its called fishing for a comment.
I would have used the emoji,but it wasn't there.
Old September 8, 2017, 08:11 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Beautiful! I am tempted to screenshot Semen's post and actually email BCCI. It is a crime not to be monetarily rewarded for such devotion dedication and most of all, for having such an amazing strategic foresight.

We BCites should not just stand here and see such a talent wasted on our unimportant and insignificant forum space. We are gonna disappear anyways once IPL takes over so while we still have time, we must help our fellow member out and force BCCI to cough up at least a contract for Senmen. Shastri Gavakar can step aside.. what they do.. they do it because they are paid millions but what Senmen does day in day out is just give and give selfless love. He was fighting for BCCI for the revenue distribution, he was strategizing for BCCI before the Champions Trophy pull out... yes I know the naysayers will say but India didnt pull out!.. but that is beside the point. Strong work ethic and dedication must be rewarded and it is time for BCCI to step up. I know everyone is with me on this.
Question...just what frequency are you using to jam Senman's sarcasm detector?

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 8, 2017, 08:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

Question:

The English Football league is the richest in the world.

So why do people still follow the international team?

I say this as senman pointed out that becuase of IPL people won't follow international matches?

Want to know why he thinks that.
Old September 8, 2017, 08:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Also!

Can the IPL compete with the proposed English T20 League?

Could that not turn into another English Football league? In terms of value.

Please don't say there isn't any interest or they don't get packed stadiums!
If you watched the T20 blast you would have seen most matches were packed.
Old September 8, 2017, 08:58 AM
Cricket Legend

If big companies like FB, Sky, Google, BT, etc own a T20 franchise..

Would it not easily out value most IPL teams?

If Sky and BT combine or any other broadcaster and pay billions for broadcast rights?
Old September 8, 2017, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportingBD
Question:

The English Football league is the richest in the world.

So why do people still follow the international team?

I say this as senman pointed out that becuase of IPL people won't follow international matches?

Want to know why he thinks that.
People follow players. Let us take the example of Messi. How many games Messi played for Argentina as opposed to Barca?
Have you heard of any player retiring from leagues to prolong their international career (including Messi)?

Now imagine Shakib ,head held high, lifting valuable IPL cup among sea of KnightRider supporters as opposed to wherever he is now.... what do you think is his proud moment? Want to take bet on which he will retire first, country or IPL?

Anyway IPL will have absolute monopoly and we will somehow collect the rightful debt which we were owed but denied.

You can watch IPL through subscription to Star Sports. We will try to recruit good Bengali commentators.
Old September 8, 2017, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
If big companies like FB, Sky, Google, BT, etc own a T20 franchise..

Would it not easily out value most IPL teams?

If Sky and BT combine or any other broadcaster and pay billions for broadcast rights?
FB got out bid in IPL. We only got modest sum of 2.55 Bn $ which in my opinion is too low for the glorious IPL league but we will take it for now.

Competition is good for cricket all others combined should form a league called anti-IPL, may be Google will invest in it!! Who knows....
Old September 8, 2017, 09:41 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

yes of course..Sachin's proudest moment was lifting some t20 cup for bombay
Old September 8, 2017, 09:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
People follow players. Let us take the example of Messi. How many games Messi played for Argentina as opposed to Barca?
Have you heard of any player retiring from leagues to prolong their international career (including Messi)?

Now imagine Shakib ,head held high, lifting valuable IPL cup among sea of KnightRider supporters as opposed to wherever he is now.... what do you think is his proud moment? Want to take bet on which he will retire first, country or IPL?

Anyway IPL will have absolute monopoly and we will somehow collect the rightful debt which we were owed but denied.

You can watch IPL through subscription to Star Sports. We will try to recruit good Bengali commentators.
Can you answer the question? Instead of diverting to something else please?

Irrespective of if messi/ronaldo etc play, how many people follow national team?

England, they don't have a messi or Ronald Type player, yet why do English fans follow the national team? Even though most of us know they are crap???

i hope it's not a difficult question to answer!
Old September 8, 2017, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
yes of course..Sachin's proudest moment was lifting some t20 cup for bombay
One can have more than one proud moment you know!!! Sachin can pick and choose anything he wants but don't worry Shakib has IPL.
Old September 8, 2017, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Can you answer the question? Instead of diverting to something else please?

Irrespective of if messi/ronaldo etc play, how many people follow national team?

England, they don't have a messi or Ronald Type player, yet why do English fans follow the national team? Even though most of us know they are crap???

i hope it's not a difficult question to answer!
How many follow England team as opposed to Barc, Real or ManU? Give me numbers to do the comparison?

At one point ManU had 659Million supporters
Proof: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21478857
Old September 8, 2017, 10:02 AM
Test Cricketer

If Bollywood survives IPL will survive too. And Bollywood is going nowhere. IPL is the best and worst thing ever happened to India after Bollywood.
Old September 8, 2017, 10:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
How many follow England team as opposed to Barc, Real or ManU? Give me numbers to do the comparison?

At one point ManU had 659Million supporters
Proof: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21478857
You have proven that you're a genuine troll.
England football is shown on free to air channel (mainly BBC/ITV)
The numbers they usually have is HUGE.

I won't spend my time to prove that, as it's against a troll.

If you take MUFC! Not many people in U.K. Follow them! As there are different clubs with their own fan base etc.

They would most likely watch the highlights, and will most likely watch it if their club they support play! You can't compare that support base Vs the international team
Old September 8, 2017, 10:32 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

IPL is the best and it will only get better. That $2.5B was kinda low for this glorious league.

It's the one league that will rule them all.
Old September 8, 2017, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
IPL is the best and it will only get better. That $2.5B was kinda low for this glorious league.

It's the one league that will rule them all.
Finally a believer of TRUTH in BD forum

The ultimate aim should be perfect monopoly and to make bankrupt that backstabbing organization, ICC.
Old September 8, 2017, 12:39 PM

I don't think comparison with international football is valid anymore. Both international football and league matches are essentially 90 minutes matches. T-20 is a concise format that has obvious marketing advantage over both other formats. No one has a day to dedicate to a game to follow and watch. The newer generation will have even less time to follow cricket. Anything beyond t20 will probably be stuck in our generation.
Old September 8, 2017, 02:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
Also!

Could that not turn into another English Football league? In terms of value.
Interesting questions and before I answer, let's think about the countries that play and/or follow cricket. We agree there are 12 full member teams. If you break it down:

Countries where cricket is most popular sport: IND, BAN, PAK, SL, AUS, AFG
Countries that play cricket AND are OECD countries: AUS, NZ, ENG, IRE.
Top 5 most populated countries that play cricket in order: IND, PAK, BAN, SA, AFG.
Test playing nations in the top 10 GDP: IND, ENG
Test playing nations in the bottom 100: ZIM, AFG

The above should show you just how unequal and uneven cricket is in the world. Out of the cricket most popular AND OECD nations, only Australia enjoys cricket as their primary sport. We have two nations in the top ten GDP playing in the same "league" as two nations in the bottom 100.

But more importantly, this shows the massive advantage India has when it comes to cricket: They are the most populated (by a HUGE MARGIN), cricket is the most popular sport, and while they are not an OECD nation, their population collectively put them in the top 10 in GDP. No other country enjoys such a massive advantage in the sport of cricket.

Based on this, to answer your question:
No, cricket following is massively skewed towards India as seen above.

Could that not turn into another English Football league?
No. If you look at the top English teams, they have massive following around the world. The EPL teams benefit from playing a global sport and are popular with most of the fans worldwide. It's not the english market that puts them in the top, its the world that puts them in the top.

For England T20 to out compete IPL, they would need to capture the viewership of most of the cricket fans in the world. Unfortunately for them, most of the cricket fans live in India. So English teams will have to win over the average Indian fan. Given india's intense nationalism, BCCI not letting Indian players play in foreign leagues, and lack of popularity or purchasing power in the other test playing countries, it's just not possible.
Old September 8, 2017, 02:29 PM
Cricket Legend

You find it a rare thing for countries to pick up IPL.
Remember no Pakistani players.
Oz which has the most foreigners hasn't had IPL for 7/8 years.
No where is it free online anymore.
Its mostly and I say mostly a local product,which is fine their is 1 billion Indians.
No way does it compete with English soccer.
Old September 8, 2017, 02:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

T20 is the future of cricket, and IPL as the biggest T20 league, will spearhead that future, whether you like it or not. Those of us who don't enjoy T20 (like me), just enjoy what little TEST and ODI we get now and be prepared for a bleak future.

However, what I find hilarious is the notion that IPL will somehow grow cricket's popularity.
Cricket's "growth" has been pathetic. When a war torn country like AFG or a country with hyperinflation can be part of the 12-team exclusive club, that should tell you all you need to know about how little cricket has grown. All IPL will do is convert the people who would have watched Internationals otherwise.
Closed Thread