facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: Which Division are you from?
Rajshahi Division 6 16.22%
Khulna Division 2 5.41%
Barisal Division 1 2.70%
Dhaka Division 14 37.84%
Sylhet Division 5 13.51%
Chittagong Division 9 24.32%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 11, 2006, 01:16 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Born in Khulna, brought up in Dhaka, dad's family from Barisal, mum's family from Bagerhat, now living in Sydney.

Need i say more where im from ?
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]

Old November 11, 2006, 03:31 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Next threads to be opened:
1) Which Thana are you from??
2) Which Moholla/Para are you from?
4) Which Golli are you from?

Any more ideas?
Old November 11, 2006, 05:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Man I don't understand how people come up with such stereotype within such a small country like Bangladesh. I have quite a few good friends from Chittagong,Sylhet, Rajhshahi and what not. Haven't found a single trait among either one of those groups, there are people of all kinds..

Not only this, I have had very good experience with Pakistanis, Saudis , Kuwatis, Indians as well as American whites and blacks, contrary to what people at my home use to tell me..

Just open your mind and accept the positives of all groups, we are all part of one human civilization. Men have stepped on moon have visualized stars that are thousands of light years away, yet we divide ourselves in pitty things like dialect,skin color or financial status. Truly sad..
Old November 11, 2006, 06:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
No matter how rich people get, they're still very capable of being 'illiterate', 'uncultured' and sunken in greed.. .

They can be the richest of all Bangladeshis and still be robbed of their dignity,

nor zeal for his country of origin.

And I suppose you show your 'patriotic zeal' and 'dignity' by posting tons of Pro-BNP India conspiracy-themed comments on this site?

See, you complain on the one hand that you cannot fully gain acceptance within the British (Sylheti) Bangladeshi community but you continue to involve yourself in Deshi party rajniti despite having lived in the UK since you were a child.

Most second and third gen Sylhetis (and most of the first) pragmatically cut ties to such irrelevance and look down on those in our communities who insist on dragging us back into the tribal, sloganeering, personality-based politics based on the two criminal cliques currently vying for power in Bangladesh. We can see how parliamentary democracy is supposed to work and thank our lucky stars we were born/bought up here.

You want to do something for Bangladeshis? Good. Go and get yourself an immigration status, go to college and Uni and get a good job. Become a role model for your younger siblings and others in your community. You may even consider learning to speak Sylheti, the language of preference in our community. You shouldn't expect Sylhetis to conform when the British Bangladeshi community is basically made up of Sylhetis.
Old November 11, 2006, 06:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtiaz82
Man I don't understand how people come up with such stereotype within such a small country like Bangladesh. I have quite a few good friends from Chittagong,Sylhet, Rajhshahi and what not. Haven't found a single trait among either one of those groups, there are people of all kinds..

Are you the same Imtiaz82 who hangs around Bangladeshi Military Websites and Pakistani Military Websites? In which case from your various postings, it is self evident you are a right wing 'Islamic brotherhood' type? No? Therein lies your own partiality and 'narrowmindedness'. You would no more agree to call non-muslims brothers than I would non-Sylhetis.

Imtiaz82's opinion and stereotyping of UK Sylhetis (rather in contrast to his stated views above lol) on a Paki military forums....

'Interesting point to note. 99% of the Bangladeshis in UK are NOT even Bengalis!! They are from a district in North Eastern part of Bangladesh called Sylhet. That district was originally part of Assam province and joined East Pakistan through referendum. The sylhetis(Assamese) have a completely different language, which I personally do not even understand.(Urdu comes much easily to me than their "dialect"). The Sylhetis do not even marry with other Bengalis and are very proud to be "Sylhetis" rather than "Bangladeshis" when asked'.

Source: http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...k&ct=clnk&cd=3

See, we agree on more than you care to let on in this site. lol We have our own language and ethnicity. Don't try and come across as being accepting of others when you are not.

I apologise if your views have changed since you wrote this on that Pakistani site belittling the Bangladeshi Liberation War with your Pakistani brothers.
Old November 11, 2006, 06:50 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

I guess sylheti you are very young and still to to learn the basic understanding about community, country, patriotism in a global perspective. I hope with time you will grow up and will be aware of the passion each countryman bears with them.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Miraz; November 11, 2006 at 06:58 AM..
Old November 11, 2006, 10:23 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tiqbal

Quote:
'Interesting point to note. 99% of the Bangladeshis in UK are NOT even Bengalis!! They are from a district in North Eastern part of Bangladesh called Sylhet. That district was originally part of Assam province and joined East Pakistan through referendum. The sylhetis(Assamese) have a completely different language, which I personally do not even understand.(Urdu comes much easily to me than their "dialect"). The Sylhetis do not even marry with other Bengalis and are very proud to be "Sylhetis" rather than "Bangladeshis" when asked'.
care to comment imtiaz82?
Old November 11, 2006, 02:25 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylheti
And I suppose you show your 'patriotic zeal' and 'dignity' by posting tons of Pro-BNP India conspiracy-themed comments on this site?
What are you smoking? I'm a pro-Bangladeshi and I will speak out against any country or group that threatens my country's pride or sovereignty, i.e. when leading Indian politician threatens that Bangladesh should be invaded. So course I will post my views on issues that are relevant.. There are no conspiracy theories, only ongoing issues in Bangladesh that you having lived in the UK most likely all your life wouldn't have a clue about.

Quote:
See, you complain on the one hand that you cannot fully gain acceptance within the British (Sylheti) Bangladeshi community but you continue to involve yourself in Deshi party rajniti despite having lived in the UK since you were a child.
What have my political views on an internet forum have anything to do with gaining acceptance in the British Sylheti community? If you must know, all my Bangladeshi friends here are Syheti and those who aren't are not even from Dhaka. I have a wide perception of politics all around the world, whether it's chaos Bangladesh, British politics or anything else happening around the world. Having views is not same as practising them, and you continue to show your narrow-mindedness by implying that doing so is some obstacle to my assimilation with the UK Bangladeshi community.

Besides, who says I want to fully gain "acceptance"..? I'm better off not having to knowing people like you. There are all kinds of people in the UK and only I will decide who I want to mix with.

Quote:
Most second and third gen Sylhetis (and most of the first) pragmatically cut ties to such irrelevance and look down on those in our communities who insist on dragging us back into the tribal, sloganeering, personality-based politics based on the two criminal cliques currently vying for power in Bangladesh. We can see how parliamentary democracy is supposed to work and thank our lucky stars we were born/bought up here.
My observation tells me otherwise. A significant proportion of British-born Bangladesh youth (mostly boys) do poorly in education, not go into further education or drop-out sooner than later, get involved in 'local crews/gangs', do/sell drugs, many even pay a visit to juvenile prison at least once. This is a common scene throughout the densely populated Bangladeshi/Sylheti communities, especially within London.

Quote:
You want to do something for Bangladeshis? Good. Go and get yourself an immigration status, go to college and Uni and get a good job. Become a role model for your younger siblings and others in your community. You may even consider learning to speak Sylheti, the language of preference in our community.
You don't have to tell me what to do. I have been to college, passed with full distinctions. I already passed my 1st year from Goldsmith with 1.1 and transferred to UCL. I know what I'm doing in life and what kind of example I want to set for Bangladeshis like me.

Though I think your declaration of Sylheti as a 'language' is incorrect, it's a dialect of Bangla and I can understand it pretty well. Most of my Sylheti friends prefer English anyway.

Quote:
You shouldn't expect Sylhetis to conform when the British Bangladeshi community is basically made up of Sylhetis.
I only expect people to be friendly and cut all that seperation non-sense, instead of looking down at non-Sylhetis with prejudice.

You just said yourself most of the British Bangladeshi community comprises of Sylhetis, so that makes them "the host" to Bangladeshis from elsewhere. For Bangladeshis, it's not a crime to expect a little spirit of welcoming and togetherness.

The problem is all yours, I think you're the one having difficulty gaining acceptance of other Bangladeshis and not being able to establish your identity. Your agenda is spread BS propaganda about cultural/ethnic separation and to divide Sylhet from the rest of Bangladesh. God forbid that never happens..
Old November 12, 2006, 01:51 AM
ODI Cricketer

I was born in Rajshahi but settled in Dhaka so which one to put ... ?
Old November 12, 2006, 01:55 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
I don't care for Division. Rather I prefer multipication.

So my answer is "All of the above"
you have to care about all the mathematical operations or you would not be a proper mathematician .

ps : Fazal have you grown back your "dari" or is it still missing ? though if you leave in foreign country it is best that you miss them .
Old November 13, 2006, 12:24 AM

Quote:
... Amrar Sylheti manush're onyo Divisioner manush beshi bala fae na karon thara mone kore thara beshi shikitho ar 'cultured'. Thara E rokhom mone kore karon amra Sylheti bashae mathi. Shobh Divisioner maze Sylhet Divisioner manusher maze oi beshi manush bideshi ar foyshaola (because £1=130 taka). Ami personally mone kori ze E zath manush hingshuk (Jealous). Ita foyshar befar tho, buzcho ni?
Prime reason why people think 'sylheti' people are 'o shikitho'.
Old November 13, 2006, 05:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
Prime reason why people think 'sylheti' people are 'o shikitho'.
Be prepared for the tirade of Sylheti