facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 20, 2012, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Default BCB World T20 Media Release: ‘It is very important to start well’: Mushfiqur Rahim

‘It is very important to start well’: Mushfiqur Rahim

Thursday, 20 September 2012
Rabeed Imam

KANDY – Mushfiqur Rahim at the pre-match presser:

What result in the tournament would satisfy him
I think it is very tough to say in this format, you never know which team is favorite. It is a matter of doing well on the particular day and if we do well in all three departments, the result will take care of itself. I’m quite happy with my team and if they give their best, we will do very well in tomorrow’s game.

Whether Bangladesh have come of age in this format
I think we are in a tough group. But we have a balanced side and that’s one of our strengths. If we do the basics right and execute our plans, we can beat any team in the world. We have been playing together for quite some time now and that’s where the confidence comes from. If we can put a good performance you never know.

Inspiration from the 4-0 whitewash in an ODI series against New Zealand
We played 50-over cricket at that time, and that too back home. Here the wicket is not the typical sub-continent one, it is very different. It has something for the quicks and the batsmen, if they apply themselves properly. It is very important to start well and if we can carry on with the momentum after starting well, anything is possible.

Maturity of the players
That’s what gives us the confidence. Shakib, Tamim and Ashraful are hitting it well; Mashrafe, Razzak and Mahmudullah also make contributions. This has made us a good team in the last two years.

The presence of spin consultant Saqlain Mushtaq
He’s a great inclusion in our squad. Not just the skills, he brings a lot of experience to the setup. And the boys like him a lot. He’s doing a very good job, especially with the spinners.

The Pallekele pitch
I got chance to play two matches during SLPL. Tamim played quite a few games here and Mahmudullah also played. We all know how the pitch plays, it moves a bit under lights. If our pace bowlers strike early, we can restrict New Zealand or defend the targets.

The pace bowlers will get some help, that’s all. It is not the typical wickets that we have found in this region in the past. It is more fun to play fast bowling for those who play the side shots well. If a number of us can apply ourselves, we would make a good match of it.

Impact of Shakib Al Hasan
He is our best cricketer. Probably in the last two years a couple of the guys have also put their hands up so he’s quite free in his role and not under too much pressure to perform. Not just with bat and ball, he is always helping out on and off the field. His presence means a lot in our team.

Preparation for the tournament
I have to say I am happy with how we have prepared. We played in different situations and conditions. Everyone had a good hit. Probably would’ve been better if we played against major teams but still we played some competitive matches and now we are at the business end. So hopefully it’ll go really well.

How important the WT20 is to Bangladesh
After Asia Cup this is another major tournament. We are really looking forward to this. Everyone at home is praying for us and can’t wait for this game.

Pace versus spin
I still think the spinners will do well here, if they bowl in the right areas. The grounds here are also a bit bigger, and also New Zealand play pace bowling very well. If our spinners bowl well, we can contain them.

Prospects of qualifying for the next round
We are doing everything within our powers to give us the best chance to get into the second round, though that comes later. We have to be happy with what we get in the end tomorrow, but we will do everything to win the game. We are confident, if we can apply our skill one hundred percent we can win.

Team combination
We may make one or two changes from the side that played in the practice games but that will all be decided after we see the wicket tomorrow.

Where this side stands compared to the one that had whitewashed New Zealand
That happened two years ago in ODIs and this is a Twenty20 event. It is a totally different setting with some players who weren’t around in 2010. But we have the confidence to make it to the Super Eights.

They (New Zealand) have a lot more Twenty20 experience compared to us. But comparing our team to that in 2010, this has more balance and a few more match-winners. So in that way, this is a better team.

The pedigree of Brendan McCullum and Ross Taylor
They are very important players for their side and we have special plans to contain them. The bowlers have to strike at the top-order to win games, so it’s nothing different now.

Old September 20, 2012, 11:59 AM

To win the match, Mushy has to deliver himself with bat and gloves IMHO.

All the best Captain
Old September 20, 2012, 12:54 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Want the Mushy we saw against India in the Asia Cup. I have a feeling he will do well against NZ

good luck to our boys