facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 2, 2006, 07:46 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: আশরাফুল
Default India does not want to play Bangladesh and Zimbabwe

Anger over India's threat to Test schedule

Kevin Mitchell
Sunday January 1, 2006
The Observer

Only days after cricket's great revolutionary Kerry Packer died, the game's leaders are trying to head off another major upheaval.

Key members of the International Cricket Council (ICC) have been meeting at their Dubai headquarters discussing a veiled threat from India to run their own international programme if the Test and one-day schedule is not radically altered.

The new regime of the Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI) say they have cut a bilateral deal with Cricket Australia to play more games between their national teams, at the expense of the minnows - Zimbabwe and Bangladesh - though the Australians deny this.

The Indian negotiators, who want their team to play more one-day games, have a meeting with the England and Wales Cricket Board on 9 January and it is understood they will get a favourable response to their requests.

It is an open secret that the leading cricket nations are unhappy having to play so many one-sided, and unprofitable, matches against the weaker of the 10 Test-playing countries.

The ICC executive meet on 11 January to work out a compromise deal before their full meeting in March. At the October meeting of the ICC in Sydney, there was a report on the practicality of replacing the five-year playing calendar with a six-year schedule. India want to speed up that process.

The decision on who will host the 2011 World Cup is expected in June. Australia, whose turn it is to host the tournament, have yet to make up their minds and India are favourites to step in.

The BCCI deny they are holding the ICC to ransom, but sources told The Observer that there have been heated telephone exchanges between Dubai and Mumbai in the past few weeks. "They [the ICC] are very, very angry about this," said a source close to the negotiations. "They see it as a challenge to their authority and reckon it will undermine the whole structure of the game if individual countries act like this. It is a very disturbing development."

A key figure in the showdown is the new vice-president of the BCCI, Lalit Modi, a thrusting young television executive and skilled cricket administrator. Modi told The Observer: "We have already had bilateral meetings with Australia and will be making an announcement shortly. There is no threat to the ICC Trophy here next year. We are just fine-tuning the calendar and there will be an equal number of games for India and the other main countries. There will be reciprocity between all of them.

"We are meeting England on the ninth, ahead of the ICC executive board meeting on the eleventh. We have had a positive response from member countries we have spoken to. This is not a challenge to the ICC. This is just a fine-tuning.

"We will be having bilateral talks also with South Africa and New Zealand. The old programme was always a problem for member nations. India was never listening to what they were saying under the old regime [headed by Jagmohan Dalmiya, who was recently ousted]. Under the new regime it is. I think this will be fair to all countries."

James Sutherland, the chief executive of Cricket Australia, denied there was a split between the BCCI and the ICC but said: "It is a well documented fact that more than half of international cricket's revenue has its source out of India."

It is this fiscal buoyancy - thanks largely to the phenomenal success of one-day cricket on the subcontinent - that has encouraged the new young bloods who have moved into the BCCI leadership to chance their arm. Modi claimed last week that Indian cricket was the number-one sports brand in the world. It is some claim, but the figures are impressive.

Sponsorship of the India shirt brings in $27.12million a year - outstripping even the Brazil football deal with Nike ($16million a year) and top clubs Juventus ($22.2m), Chelsea ($17.5m) and Manchester United ($16.8m). The BCCI have completed several major deals in recent weeks, with bidders clambering to be associated with their brand. The biggest is with Air Sahara for $70m over four years.

It is estimated Indian cricket generates £90m a year overall.

Source: Guadian, UK

Edited on, January 13, 2006, 6:30 AM GMT, by TeamManager.
Reason: Title
Old January 2, 2006, 07:57 AM
ODI Cricketer

Source: AmarDesh

This is totally frustrating news. I read it this morning and got very upset with it. Cricket is played between 10 countries and other than these 10 countries almost none seems to care about this game. And cricket in West Indies and Zimbabwe are waiting for extinction. The way few country's cricket governing body are trying to make this game even more elite i am worried about this game's future. Among the test playing countries only in the subcontinent cricket is regarded as the number one game in terms of popularity. In Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, England Cricket is probably the 3rd most popular game let alone the most popular. India's decision to avoid Bangladesh and Zimbabwe will further make this problem even critical. If this decision upheld by India and supported by Australia and England i think this is going to challenge the cricket's governing body ICC's future tours program.
Old January 2, 2006, 08:24 AM
ODI Cricketer

What is really frustrating is if this proposal is successful then few other test playing nation might join in the chorus which means stripping off the test staus effectively. We will not be stripped off test status but effectively will not get playing schedule with few of the top rank test playing nation. India used to boast about supporting Bangladesh's test status, what an irony.

Daily Star Report Link: India getting on ICC's nerves?

Edited on, January 3, 2006, 6:12 PM GMT, by TeamManager.
Reason: Format.
Old January 2, 2006, 08:36 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

[edit]

Edited on, January 2, 2006, 6:53 PM GMT, by chinaman.
Reason: mod.content
Old January 2, 2006, 08:55 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
The BCCI deny they are holding the ICC to ransom, but sources told The Observer that there have been heated telephone exchanges between Dubai and Mumbai in the past few weeks. "They [the ICC] are very, very angry about this," said a source close to the negotiations. "They see it as a challenge to their authority and reckon it will undermine the whole structure of the game if individual countries act like this. It is a very disturbing development."
This development is actually challenging ICC future tours programme(FTP). Which also means india is forcing ICC to act as their puppet. As much as i want ICC to act against this development, india at the moment defending their decision with diplomatic yet crude voice.
Old January 2, 2006, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Rubu
[edit]
well said

Edited on, January 2, 2006, 6:54 PM GMT, by chinaman.
Reason: mod.quote
Old January 2, 2006, 10:23 AM
ODI Cricketer

[edit quotes]

Calm down RUBU Bhai.It's not wise to loose your temper this early.Cheer UP it's 2006 :embaressed:

Edited on, January 2, 2006, 6:55 PM GMT, by chinaman.
Reason: mod.quote
Old January 2, 2006, 11:28 AM
Cricket Legend

[edit]. its realley sad that after the fall of Dalmia the Indian board is acting like a new born tiger. I am sure every bangladeshi cricket fan is woried about our future tours.

Edited on, January 2, 2006, 6:55 PM GMT, by chinaman.
Old January 2, 2006, 01:15 PM
Test Cricketer

ay.... india don't worry, you're already facing a 3-0 and 5-0 whitewhash against Pakistan in the coming series.and after that we know how bcci will react after suffering consecutive defeats that they'll be forced to play against weaker nations. now whatcha gonna do
Old January 2, 2006, 01:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

thats it...from now i on i will support 2 nations in cricket.

1. bangladesh
2. whoever plays against India
Old January 2, 2006, 02:07 PM
Banned

what was wrong with rubu's post? does it mean that we have to be robotic and emotionless to post in this forum?
Old January 2, 2006, 03:19 PM
Retired BC Admin

Nobody has to be robotic and emotionless to follow the guidelines, particularly A.1.3 and A.1.4.
Old January 2, 2006, 04:40 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

to moderation
Old January 2, 2006, 07:14 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TAMIM IQBAL

Tell you what guys. Indian cricket board is selfish and prejudice.

Edited on, January 3, 2006, 5:17 AM GMT, by mshakir56.
Old January 2, 2006, 08:35 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

India is a greedy, selfish, arrogant piece of ____. They are simply using vast popularity of the game to their economic advantage nothing else.. they DO NOT care about 'the game' let alone weaker cricketing nations!

If Australia and England also jump on this bandwagon of greed, BD and Zimbo's future will be seriously at stake.

I wonder how ICC will act...
Old January 2, 2006, 08:43 PM
ODI Cricketer

Guys,
Use this thread for discussion. Sorry have started a thread in protest of this acts.
Old January 2, 2006, 08:44 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ashrafooooooool

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorry
what was wrong with rubu's post? does it mean that we have to be robotic and emotionless to post in this forum?
I agree with you, i didn't even see what's writeen in there..

I'm deeply angered by India's activities.. [edit].... now they're pretending as if they're boss. [edit]

Edited on, January 3, 2006, 1:49 AM GMT, by chinaman.
Old January 2, 2006, 08:47 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Hatebreed
India is a greedy, selfish, arrogant piece of ____. They are simply using vast popularity of the game to their economic advantage nothing else.. they DO NOT care about 'the game' let alone weaker cricketing nations!

If Australia and England also jump on this bandwagon of greed, BD and Zimbo's future will be seriously at stake.

I wonder how ICC will act...
and bcoz of their such greediness cricket would no longer be game, rather it'd be a mean of business, i'm worried.
Old January 2, 2006, 08:49 PM
Cricket Legend

icc vs bcci. if icc boycotts bcci, 9 test nations will still generate enough revenue to run the game and it will probably be as exciting as it is now. on the other hand , if that happens, i guess bcci will have nothing. as almost all money in indian cricket is generated from international matches involving india. who in india cares for local matches. so in that scenerio, i can see within 1 year india cricket administrators coming back to icc turning into "good boys".
Old January 2, 2006, 08:51 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally posted by gravitY
and bcoz of their such greediness cricket would no longer be game, rather it'd be a mean of business, i'm worried.
Yes I remember saying than in the past.... what can we do if ICC doesn't have the guts to take strict action :cool2:
Old January 2, 2006, 08:55 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by BangladeshFan
icc vs bcci. if icc boycotts bcci, 9 test nations will still generate enough revenue to run the game and it will probably be as exciting as it is now. on the other hand , if that happens, i guess bcci will have nothing. as almost all money in indian cricket is generated from international matches involving india. who in india cares for local matches. so in that scenerio, i can see within 1 year india cricket administrators coming back to icc turning into "good boys".
i totally AGREE with you.... ICC should stay rigid on this ... no compromise whatsoever. if they do, next time they'd find more excuses. and ICC would be big trouble in future...
Old January 2, 2006, 08:56 PM
Retired BC Admin

Want to express your anger? Fine. Please look for words that are not forbidden, please phrase your comments that are full of points instead of hate. Thanks.
Old January 2, 2006, 09:00 PM
ODI Cricketer

i think we're all matured enuf, we're not dealing with anyone under 18 here, even if we do, the words i used were not as explicit, rather they're frequently used to express anger in many other forums. anyways, it's your board, you could do whatever you want...

Edited on, January 3, 2006, 2:05 AM GMT, by gravitY.
Old January 2, 2006, 09:09 PM
Retired BC Admin

Yes, we are dealing with under 18s. Besides there are older babies too. And this is not My or Your board, it is Our board. In case anyone forgets, it is a G-rated forum.

We politely ask everyone to be cool and to follow our guidelines - at all times. That's all.
Old January 2, 2006, 09:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

Frustration is getting into me. We are having hard time getting schedule with other countries. I think we have a schedule with Australia later this year. I am afraid but Australia might cancel Bangladesh tour due to this development. What is more frustrating is they will not have to use this acts as an excuse rather they will put the excuse on terror threats and security reasons. Both my eyes are open and both ears listening. I am eagerly awaiting on the verdict on this issue from ICC. If india is successful to put this proposal into perspective, i am afraid its all over.