facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 3, 2007, 05:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Default The best ball bowled by a Bangladesh bowler..yet

Mashrafe Murtaza’s recent first ball dismissal reminded me of the best ball I have seen bowled by a Bangladeshi as yet. You may have your own personal favourite but what follows is mine.

The Bangladesh – Australia series in 2006 was not covered by any TV channel in the UK. However, the resourcefulness of the Bangalee diaspora knows no bounds. banglacricket.com came up with several options to follow the matches on the web with varying degrees of legality one presumes. But I remain eternally grateful for one such tip. The tipper I do not remember but he enabled me to make a massive financial killing though not of the monetary kind!

Somewhat apprehensively, I parted with $15 using my credit card to watch the series. But I need not have worried. Soon after I entered my password a tiny screen emerged on my laptop. I saw Bangladesh play as yet its best test innings with Nafees excelling, particularly sweeping against Warne. What followed, my return on investment merited an SEC enquiry.

Bangladesh were all out for 427 soon after lunch on the second day. The Australians were soon in trouble. Hayden went cheaply. But Hussey, sent to open, and Ponting carried on as Australians do. Ponting was lbw to the brisk Shahadat. Martin went soon after not reading Rafique who was bowling very well when Clarke walked in. Hussey was also soon bowled by Rafique.

Ponting’s injudicious remarks about the hosts’ right to test status had riled the Bangladeshis. Clarke and an uncharacteristic Gilchrist plodded on. To cut the preamble short, they added a pedestrian 18 runs off 7 overs.

Enamul Haque Junior to give his official name bowled spectacularly against Zimbabwe in the home series a year earlier. This was not good enough for Whatmore & co. to pick him in England because as the explanation went you needed three seamers in England! So, we picked Anwar Hossain Manju for the two tests here. Remember him? But I digress. I must return to the ball. So my story can really begin.

It was the 32nd over when Habibul Bashar turned to Enamul. Clarke played the first ball, bowled from round the wicket, defensively.

As Enamul walked in for his second ball there was nothing to indicate that a moment of true magic was about to be conjured.

He flighted the ball and it simply soared into the atmosphere almost at zero pace, if that was possible. Newton’s law of gravity was simply suspended. As Enamul himself explained later, he had concealed the shiny side inside thus letting the ball drift. To me that is the science part of the delivery. The romance is in the arts of it!

Modern television cameras are very sophisticated. They capture the minutest movement of the ball. Even the maker’s name is visible. However, no such technology could pick up the thin string, so thin that it could only be measured in nanometers, but a thousand times stronger than the spider’s thread, that Enamul had attached to the ball.

The ball had soared into space. It was meant to follow a parabolic route. That is what Clarke also thought. Little did he know that the wily Enamul was about to tug that string. As he gave that invisible tug, the ball lost pace, the flight changed. Clarke lunged forward in a classical forward defensive style , bat and pad together, knowing the ball would hit the middle of the bat as was pre-ordained. It was not to be. The ball fell well short.

So far I have only revealed the intricacies of the flight. But what about the spin! King Warne was in the pavilion next man in. But he too must have been impressed by the sheer rip that Enamul had given the ball. Clarke had already been, what cricketers knowledgably refer to as, beaten in flight. But the ball had more mysteries to offer.

As it made its descent from orbit, the ball hit Fatullah’s turf. No other projectile has ever made such an impact. It spun visciously out of Fatullah’s green earth, metamorphorising into a lethal cobra. Only Bangalees can tell you about the cobra’s sting. This is not the time or place to discuss that. Suffice to say, the ball spat like a cobra’s venom and sprung out for its prey. Clarke had not seen a Bengali cobra before but Khaled Mashud had. His gloves had transformed into a snakecharmers pouch. He may have seen such snake dance before. He need not have bothered this time.

The ball eluded Clarke’s broad bat – by a cat’s whisker. It did not reach Mashud’s pouch. The timber behind Clarke rattled. But only the off bail was disturbed. Or, so I like to remember. Clarke looked mesmerised, not believing what he had just seen. In fact, he probably still could hear the snakecharmers tune. For a thousandth of a second there was a stunned silence before the entire Bangalee nation rose as one.

The best ball by a Bangladeshi had been bowled and Clarke was comprehensively bowled! Australia were 79 for 5 in the 32nd over. What Shane Warne had made of the delivery as he walked in to bat is not recoreded. Gilchrist played a responsible heads down test innings. Australia eventually won by two wickets.

Old June 3, 2007, 05:55 PM
Administrator

All I can say is maahvellous. Check your PM, please.
Old June 3, 2007, 05:59 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

very good post.
any link to watch this one?
Old June 3, 2007, 06:05 PM

Excellent post, Imtiaz Bhai. Agreed wholeheartedly. Thought of Enam's ripper as soon as I read the thread title. Mashrafee's first ball strike of Wasim Jaffer comes 2nd, no doubt. Followed by his deliveries to remove Sehwag and Dravid in 2004
Old June 3, 2007, 06:07 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Here is my Bangladesh Wonder Balls

Quote:
31.2 Enamul Haque jnr to Clarke, OUT: ripper! flighted delivery on the
middle and leg stump line, drifting in with the arm and this one
turned square after hitting the deck, Clarke was clueless, ball
turns away just enough to beat the outside edge and the off stump
is pegged back
Quote:
12.6 Syed Rasel to Sangakkara, OUT: What a delivery, completely fooled
Sangakkara, first five delivery were the outswingers and now, this
one comes in sharply,, Sangakkara tries to left it and ball hits
the off stump, top class bowling!
Quote:
0.3 Mashrafe Mortaza to Sehwag, OUT: bowled'm! good length delivery,
pitched outside the off stump and swinging in, Sehwag pushes
forward and gets beaten, ball crashes into the stumps, perfect
start for Mortaza and Bangladesh
Does anyone remember this ball? Warnesque ball from Ash
Quote:
130.1 Mohammad Ashraful to Kumble, no run, BEATEN!!!, Kumble plays
forward to a big turning leg break and the ball just passes the
outside edge of the bat

Last edited by cricman; June 3, 2007 at 06:16 PM..
Old June 3, 2007, 06:14 PM
Street Cricketer

To me it's Mashrafe, but I can't decide which one is the best. There are two at least: first, when Mashrafe bowled Dravid in the 1st Test (India in BD, 2004). And second, when he recently bowled W. Jaffer in the 1st Test (India in BD, 2007).

There was one more I can remember still bowled by Marshrafe (ok.. no surprise I'm his fan! which he bowled V. Sehwag in the 2nd ODI (India in BD, 2004).
Old June 3, 2007, 06:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Excellent post, Imtiaz Bhai. Agreed wholeheartedly. Thought of Enam's ripper as soon as I read the thread title. Mashrafee's first ball strike of Wasim Jaffer comes 2nd, no doubt. Followed by his deliveries to remove Sehwag and Dravid in 2004
Didn't realise it would generate reacations so quickly. Now I have been reminded Rasel's dismissal of Sangakarra at Colombo - particularly the horror on Sangakarra's face - also stands. Particularly, if you remember from the replays Rasel had scrambled the seam unlike his stock deliveries which face 1st slip.

Of course, Murtaza's dismissal of Sehwag at Port-of-Spain was the most decisive. But the romance still is with Enamul's delivery. I do regret not seeing him play in England just after he took 18 wickets in 2 tests. Must have shattered his confidence. Notwithstanding the Clarke ball, he has never been the same.
Old June 3, 2007, 06:22 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee and Enamul jr

when enamul haque jr dismised M clark at fattulah 1st test 1st inn, bit like the shane warnes ball of the century.
Old June 3, 2007, 06:26 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I must have missed Enamul's gravity-defying, magic delivery. Is there any video for it?
Old June 3, 2007, 06:33 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahriar Nafees

Ah you missed a great delivery man.. =p soon rafique took warny's wicket with another beautiful delivery.. 91/6 !
Only if gilly didnt played that innings!
Old June 3, 2007, 06:35 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Hang on, are we talking about the match in Fatullah? In that case I may have watched it.
Old June 3, 2007, 06:39 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahriar Nafees

Yeah in which we scored 427! SN & Bashar had a huge partnership..from 51/1 to 231/2 ..then we booked OZs for 265..and we lost eventually due to Ricky Ponting's innings and a drop catch by Mashrafe.. Remember? thats the match.
Old June 3, 2007, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Old June 3, 2007, 06:55 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protic
Yeah in which we scored 427! SN & Bashar had a huge partnership..from 51/1 to 231/2 ..then we booked OZs for 265..and we lost eventually due to Ricky Ponting's innings and a drop catch by Mashrafe.. Remember? thats the match.
I remember.. but I also try to forget the manner in which we let it go.
Old June 3, 2007, 07:06 PM
Cricket Legend
WC 2015 Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imtiazk
Mashrafe Murtaza’s recent first ball dismissal reminded me of the best ball I have seen bowled by a Bangladeshi as yet. You may have your own personal favourite but what follows is mine.

The Bangladesh – Australia series in 2006 was not covered by any TV channel in the UK. However, the resourcefulness of the Bangalee diaspora knows no bounds. banglacricket.com came up with several options to follow the matches on the web with varying degrees of legality one presumes. But I remain eternally grateful for one such tip. The tipper I do not remember but he enabled me to make a massive financial killing though not of the monetary kind!

Somewhat apprehensively, I parted with $15 using my credit card to watch the series. But I need not have worried. Soon after I entered my password a tiny screen emerged on my laptop. I saw Bangladesh play as yet its best test innings with Nafees excelling, particularly sweeping against Warne. What followed, my return on investment merited an SEC enquiry.

Bangladesh were all out for 427 soon after lunch on the second day. The Australians were soon in trouble. Hayden went cheaply. But Hussey, sent to open, and Ponting carried on as Australians do. Ponting was lbw to the brisk Shahadat. Martin went soon after not reading Rafique who was bowling very well when Clarke walked in. Hussey was also soon bowled by Rafique.

Ponting’s injudicious remarks about the hosts’ right to test status had riled the Bangladeshis. Clarke and an uncharacteristic Gilchrist plodded on. To cut the preamble short, they added a pedestrian 18 runs off 7 overs.

Enamul Haque Junior to give his official name bowled spectacularly against Zimbabwe in the home series a year earlier. This was not good enough for Whatmore & co. to pick him in England because as the explanation went you needed three seamers in England! So, we picked Anwar Hossain Manju for the two tests here. Remember him? But I digress. I must return to the ball. So my story can really begin.

It was the 32nd over when Habibul Bashar turned to Enamul. Clarke played the first ball, bowled from round the wicket, defensively.

As Enamul walked in for his second ball there was nothing to indicate that a moment of true magic was about to be conjured.

He flighted the ball and it simply soared into the atmosphere almost at zero pace, if that was possible. Newton’s law of gravity was simply suspended. As Enamul himself explained later, he had concealed the shiny side inside thus letting the ball drift. To me that is the science part of the delivery. The romance is in the arts of it!

Modern television cameras are very sophisticated. They capture the minutest movement of the ball. Even the maker’s name is visible. However, no such technology could pick up the thin string, so thin that it could only be measured in nanometers, but a thousand times stronger than the spider’s thread, that Enamul had attached to the ball.

The ball had soared into space. It was meant to follow a parabolic route. That is what Clarke also thought. Little did he know that the wily Enamul was about to tug that string. As he gave that invisible tug, the ball lost pace, the flight changed. Clarke lunged forward in a classical forward defensive style , bat and pad together, knowing the ball would hit the middle of the bat as was pre-ordained. It was not to be. The ball fell well short.

So far I have only revealed the intricacies of the flight. But what about the spin! King Warne was in the pavilion next man in. But he too must have been impressed by the sheer rip that Enamul had given the ball. Clarke had already been, what cricketers knowledgably refer to as, beaten in flight. But the ball had more mysteries to offer.

As it made its descent from orbit, the ball hit Fatullah’s turf. No other projectile has ever made such an impact. It spun visciously out of Fatullah’s green earth, metamorphorising into a lethal cobra. Only Bangalees can tell you about the cobra’s sting. This is not the time or place to discuss that. Suffice to say, the ball spat like a cobra’s venom and sprung out for its prey. Clarke had not seen a Bengali cobra before but Khaled Mashud had. His gloves had transformed into a snakecharmers pouch. He may have seen such snake dance before. He need not have bothered this time.

The ball eluded Clarke’s broad bat – by a cat’s whisker. It did not reach Mashud’s pouch. The timber behind Clarke rattled. But only the off bail was disturbed. Or, so I like to remember. Clarke looked mesmerised, not believing what he had just seen. In fact, he probably still could hear the snakecharmers tune. For a thousandth of a second there was a stunned silence before the entire Bangalee nation rose as one.

The best ball by a Bangladeshi had been bowled and Clarke was comprehensively bowled! Australia were 79 for 5 in the 32nd over. What Shane Warne had made of the delivery as he walked in to bat is not recoreded. Gilchrist played a responsible heads down test innings. Australia eventually won by two wickets.
Awesome! Top class Bowl by Imtiazk. Thats the imtiazk i was talking about in another thread. You just described the beauty consist on one delievery end...less...ly. Please dont stop! want to see more of you....
Old June 3, 2007, 07:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

ImtiazK ... that was probably one of the greatest bits of writing I have come across in BC! The endless-ness of your writing paralelled the soaring of that delivery. I haven't seen Enam bowl that delivery though ... but now you make me wish that I had!

Fellow BC members ... any link to the video?

To me, the best Bdeshi delivery I have seen yet would have to be:

31.2Mohammad Rafique to Flintoff, OUT, we still have a game here ... Flintoff barely moves his feet and is completely undone by the arm ball and bowled neck and crop. A great player but he looked as impotent as a club No. 11 there. He throws his head back and looks to the heavens ...
A Flintoff b Mohammad Rafique 23 (29m 21b 3x4 1x6) SR: 109.52

Last edited by Electrequiem; June 3, 2007 at 07:28 PM..
Old June 3, 2007, 07:40 PM
Street Cricketer

Great piece of writing but can anyone please provide the video link aswell?? I was not able to watch that test match!
Old June 3, 2007, 07:54 PM
First Class Cricketer

i thought u r perhaps the most wise poster here, now i see u r the best writer too.
Old June 3, 2007, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Fast tracked to the front page!

The best ball bowled by a Bangladesh bowler..yet
Imtiaz Kabir
Having just relished Mashrafe Mortaza’s recent first ball dismissal, the author reminisces about the best ball yet bowled by a Bangladeshi bowler. His minds eye takes him back to home Test versus Australia at Fatullah.
Read article »
Old June 3, 2007, 08:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Its Mashrafe's Sewag dismissal on Boxing day, 2005 for me.

A good thread after some time.
Old June 3, 2007, 08:09 PM
Cricket Legend

very nicely put. i saw the delivery but dont have it saved. Its something Enam Jr. also cherishes. I hope he comes back good in the next test.
Old June 3, 2007, 10:12 PM

I remember the interview of Enam after the close of session's play, he said:

"Yes, magic ball. For that ball I put shiny side inside". That genuinely evoked so much pride that here we had a Really good thinking bowler. Add to that What RM had said on enam in bc previously. It felt so gratifying.
Old June 3, 2007, 10:21 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy
when enamul haque jr dismised M clark at fattulah 1st test 1st inn, bit like the shane warnes ball of the century.
my choice also.

my favorites: QUOTE He flighted the ball and it simply soared into the atmosphere almost at zero pace, if that was possible. Newton’s law of gravity was simply suspended. As Enamul himself explained later, he had concealed the shiny side inside thus letting the ball drift. To me that is the science part of the delivery. The romance is in the arts of it!

So far I have only revealed the intricacies of the flight. But what about the spin! King Warne was in the pavilion next man in. But he too must have been impressed by the sheer rip that Enamul had given the ball. Clarke had already been, what cricketers knowledgably refer to as, beaten in flight. But the ball had more mysteries to offer.UNQUOTE

delicious writing Imtiazk, exceptional thread, better decision to fast track it to the front page. thanks Z-bhai.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; June 3, 2007 at 10:56 PM..
Old June 3, 2007, 10:22 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper

A good thread after some time.
ditto.
Old June 3, 2007, 10:29 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Nice write up. Specially the comparison with cobra. Pilot the snake charmer!!

good read.