facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 22, 2011, 02:14 PM
Cricket Guru

My dear BC members can you please keep the discussions to the cricket topic. We as a organizer need to worry about good organizing at this moment as our team is out, so why not do something that is important. Enjoy the cricket.

Old March 22, 2011, 07:13 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Morgan and Big Z

I am supporting West Indies for the match, same reason as night wolf and roni_uk.
Old March 22, 2011, 07:51 PM
Test Cricketer

My uncle's friend supports Pakistan even when they play Bangladesh and he's Bangladeshi !!! he loves pakistan team that much :|

And can someone tell me about the Courtney Walsh story that has led to a lot of support in Bangladesh for the West Indies..Khaled Mashud briefly mentioned it yesterday on coverdrive but didnt elaborate!
Old March 22, 2011, 11:10 PM
Banned

me a bangladeshi. But Pakistani cricket team is awesome, especially team of the past. b4, BD supporters were like Pak >> WI >> India

I will support Pakistan. and mr night wolf is rong (colour) to the bone. LOL. Why he so upset ?
Old March 23, 2011, 12:05 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

^who told u i was upset??
Old March 23, 2011, 07:42 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainab
I dont think that it will be a full house, I am pretty sure that no one will be supporting the Windians after the thrashing they gave BD, also, the way they threw away the match against England, thus ensuring that BD was knocked out from the QF. Also, a lot of Bangladeshis hate the Pakistanis.
Two hated teams, why would people waste their money?
Boy were you wrong. Just goes to show how passionate our fans are about cricket.
Old March 23, 2011, 09:54 AM
Cricket Legend

The sad part is that our cricket crazy public dont have a cricket team they deserve.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old March 23, 2011, 11:24 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat_02
The sad part is that our cricket crazy public dont have a cricket team they deserve.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
as Jaaved Jaffrey says in the movie Salaam Namste.."EK-Jactly!"
Old March 23, 2011, 02:14 PM
Club Cricketer

I'm a Bangladeshi patriot but I support the Pakistani team when we're not playing them. Why? They've always been exciting to watch (fastest centurians, fastest bowlers etc.), they're at their best when cornered, they derive their passion from Islam to a great degree (I can relate to that), most of them regret what happened in 1971 (most Pakistanis weren't even born in 1971 or before that), they're not shooting our innocent fellow citizens at the border.
Old March 23, 2011, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif68
this match will surely be more competitive and exciting than the WI vs BD and SA vs BD match. I don't support Pakistan but there is nothing wrong with BD people supporting Pakistan, the Pakistani cricketers have nothing to do with what happened in 1971. None of them were even born back then.
Old March 23, 2011, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING-KHAN
What has Pakistan cricket team got to do with politics??

What happened in 71 is regretted by all Pakistanis. It was the dirty politicians, military and has nothing to do with the general population.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Then Apologize for Gods sake and get off your high horse.
Old March 23, 2011, 03:48 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

So I'd say a great turn-out. Numbers have been great for neutral matches in Mirpur and in Sri Lanak. It's India where the stadiums were half empty most of the time, even during big games like Eng-SA, NZ-Aus!

The stadium will be empty during the Final if India doesn't make it. And who knows what will happen if Pakistan makes it and India doesn't. If Sri Lanka plays a neutral team in the final then it should be moved to SL. I'd want that if I were a Sri Lanakan fan.
Old March 23, 2011, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar11432
Then Apologize for Gods sake and get off your high horse.
The general public, population is apologetic over the events of 71 however the govt doesn't. The govt is corrupt and not a true reflection of Pakistani ppl.

Old March 23, 2011, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakirshuvo
I'm a Bangladeshi patriot but I support the Pakistani team when we're not playing them. Why? They've always been exciting to watch (fastest centurians, fastest bowlers etc.), they're at their best when cornered, they derive their passion from Islam to a great degree (I can relate to that), most of them regret what happened in 1971 (most Pakistanis weren't even born in 1971 or before that), they're not shooting our innocent fellow citizens at the border.
Definitely not shooting our citizens at the border. They did one better, they shot, killed and maimed millions inside the border. It was their "passion for Islam" that drove them to it. Mind you, I do not believe sins of the father should be bestowed to the children but despite protestations to the contrary many either do not yet know nor have come to terms with the magnitude of the inhumanity and depravity that they had wrought. An anemic proclamation of regret does not an apology make.

And with all that, I can still acknowledge Imran Khan as one of my favorite cricketers.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old March 23, 2011, 07:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

A status update on a Facebook page

Quote:
Just two days before the black night of March 25 and we have thousands of Bangladeshis waving the same flag under which the genocide began. Sad.
My edited comments on that page:

That cricket team carries their flag, unlike a club team from there, and therefore also represents that country politically, fact!

Sadly, Pakistan, as a nation, has yet to officially acknowledge and apologize for its crimes against humanity and the Bangladeshi people, and has yet to offer reparation to the surviving victims of those crimes, the way Germany compensates Israel for example. In fact, Pakistan has gone out of its way misguiding the world about the truth, and deliberately failed to fulfill its obligation under the Simla Agreement by refusing to try the alleged war criminals in its custody.

It was not "just the military" but also the popularly elected PPP and all of the Islamist parties that actively carried out genocide, mass rape, mass torture and brigandage in the name of Islamic and national unity. VERY FEW Pakistanis protested the atrocities and MOST were upset by the fact that they lost the war. FACTS! READ! KNOW YOUR HISTORY!!!

All decent Pakistani individuals need to inform themselves of the brutal legacy of their government's crimes in 1971 and before that, and then actively spread the truth. Hopefully such knowledge and resultant public pressure will eventually result in the acknowledgment, apology and reparations necessary to begin the long overdue expiation . Pakistan also needs to actively assist the Bangladeshi government in the International Crimes Tribunal underway here, rather than trying to subvert the process, while holding its own trials with regards to the accused in its territory.

Until that happens, unlikely in my lifetime, there are 4 things I'll NEVER do: 1) believe in religious supremacy, 2) hit a woman or a child, 3) vote Republican and BNP, and 4) support Pakistan, so help me GOD.

If it does happen in my lifetime, I may consider dropping #4.

To quote Rezaul Bari from that Facebook page:

Quote:
the notion that "I don't think sports should be intertwined with history, religion or politics rather should be viewed on it's own merit" is untenable at the end of the day. Take the case of a Pakistan vs Bangladesh match. Who among us will view the match on it's own merit?
Untenable indeed within our historical context. We're not carrying superficial baggage due to some pointless little war centuries ago, and to imply that it isn't anything more than that, and we ought to just move on and enjoy the game is either stupid or cruel or possibly both.

This half-baked attitude reminds me of the fallacy in another cliché with regards to stoic objectivity, rather than human passion balanced with fairness in journalism. Anyway, the discussion is about a flag and what it means to us, not the cricket or how great some of the Pakistani cricketers are to cricket fans everywhere. I loved watching Zahir Abbas, Javed Miandad, Wasim and Waqar as I love watching Gul and Misbah now.

Again we ought to wonder just how many Holocaust survivors would have waved the unchanged German, in other words the Nazi flag, within 40 years of their liberation from death camps, in a country where the atrocities took place, just 2 days before the date commemorating the beginning of the atrocities?

I don't know what's worse, the heedlessness of the Bangladeshi urban petit-bourgeoisie, or the Bangladeshi war criminals and their misguided children still getting a hard-on for Pakistan and their brand of Islamism/Totalitarianism. SHAME!

From a Bangla blog. Can't read Bangla? maybe you should learn.

Quote:
কতোটা ঈমানী জোর থাকলে সাচ্চা মুসলমান হওয়া যায়, পাকিস্তানীরাই তার সেরা নিদর্শন। যে আল্লার নামে আধা মুসলিম-পুরা হিন্দু বাঙালি মেয়েদের ধর্ষণ করে করে পয়দা করতে পারে নি এক প্রজন্ম সাচ্চা মুসলিম, সেই আল্লার নামে এখনো তারা মাজেদের সাথে ফিক্সিং করে, ক্রিকেটের মাঠে খেলোৎসর্গ করে।

সাধে কি বলি, বাঙ্পাকিরা পাকিস্তানে হিজরত করুন
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; March 24, 2011 at 01:54 AM..
Old March 23, 2011, 08:50 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
A status update on a Facebook page

My edited comments on that page:

That cricket team carries their flag, unlike a club team from there, and therefore also represents that country politically, fact!

Sadly, Pakistan, as a nation, has yet to officially acknowledge and apologize for its crimes against humanity and the Bangladeshi people, and has yet to offer reparation to the surviving victims of those crimes, the way Germany compensates Israel for example. In fact, Pakistan has gone out of its way misguiding the world about the truth, and deliberately failed to fulfill its obligation under the Simla Agreement by refusing to try the alleged war criminals in its custody.

It was not "just the military" but also the popularly elected PPP and all of the Islamist parties that actively carried out genocide, mass rape, mass torture and brigandage in the name of Islamic and national unity. VERY FEW Pakistanis protested the atrocities and MOST were upset by the fact tat they lost the war. FACTS! READ! KNOW YOUR HISTORY!!!

All decent Pakistani individuals need to inform themselves of the brutal legacy of their government's crimes in 1971 and before that, and then actively spread the truth. Hopefully such knowledge and resultant public pressure will eventually result in the acknowledgment, apology and reparations necessary to begin the long overdue expiation . Pakistan also needs to actively assist the Bangladeshi government in the International Crimes Tribunal underway here, rather than trying to subvert the process, while holding its own trials with regards to the accused in its territory.

Until that happens, unlikely in my lifetime, there are 4 things I'll NEVER do: 1) believe in religious supremacy, 2) hit a woman or a child, 3) vote Republican and BNP, and 4) support Pakistan, so help me GOD.

If it does happen in my lifetime, I may consider dropping #4.

To quote Rezaul Bari from that Facebook page:

Untenable indeed within our historical context. We're not carrying superficial baggage due to some pointless little war centuries ago, and to imply that it isn't anything more than that, and we ought to just move on and enjoy the game is either stupid or cruel or possibly both.

This half-baked attitude reminds me of the fallacy in another cliché with regards to stoic objectivity, rather than human passion balanced with fairness in journalism. Anyway, the discussion is about a flag and what it means to us, not the cricket or how great some of the Pakistani cricketers are to cricket fans everywhere. I loved watching Zahir Abbas, Javed Miandad, Wasim and Waqar as I love watching Gul and Misbah now.

Again we ought to wonder just how many Holocaust survivors would have waved the unchanged German, in other words the Nazi flag, within 40 years of their liberation from death camps, in a country where the atrocities took place, just 2 days before the date commemorating the beginning of the atrocities?

I don't know what's worse, the heedlessness of the Bangladeshi urban petit-bourgeoisie, or the Bangladeshi war criminals and their misguided children still getting a hard-on for Pakistan and their brand of Islamism/Totalitarianism. SHAME!

From a Bangla blog. Can't read Bangla? maybe you should learn.
top top post
Old March 23, 2011, 09:20 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Definitely not shooting our citizens at the border. They did one better, they shot, killed and maimed millions inside the border. It was their "passion for Islam" that drove them to it. Mind you, I do not believe sins of the father should be bestowed to the children but despite protestations to the contrary many either do not yet know nor have come to terms with the magnitude of the inhumanity and depravity that they had wrought. An anemic proclamation of regret does not an apology make.

And with all that, I can still acknowledge Imran Khan as one of my favorite cricketers.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
"passion for Islam"? The war was waged by a power hungry secularist and his drunken dog. They even destroyed numerous masjids in Bangladesh. The story is very much like that of Syria, Libya, Egypt and so on. They only use religion to mask their real aim. "Passion for Islam"? Those munafiks can't be passionate about Islam. However, the general Pakistanis can't be classified as one. Even today their munafik government is killing innocents in their own country (e.g., Wazirstan). Most Pakistanis that I have come across are sorry for what happened in 1971.
Old March 23, 2011, 09:59 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

my own thoughts:

there is no Nationalism in Islam. I support Bangladesh Cricket team(or any cricket team for that matter) because I like them, I like to see them Play Cricket, Simple enough Reason for me to be a cricket fan i think!

Sorry, If i offended anybody!
Old March 23, 2011, 10:08 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

other thoughts:

If indeed anything will go unpunished in this life, it will be fulfilled in the next life(ETERNAL).as Allah says in the Quran:

أَلَيۡسَ ٱللَّهُ بِأَحۡكَمِ ٱلۡحَـٰكِمِينَ (٨)

"Isn't Allah the most conclusive of all judges"(surah Tin/Fig, last Ayah chapter 95, verse 8)

I trust his Judgment and I will leave it up to him to punish criminals without contributing to any more chaos and pre-existing hatred; it will fuel more hatred and Mankind is very very weak, we are desperately running out of time! Indeed, Allah's punishment is More sever and more lasting

problem is this is a test of belief. because before death, this thought crosses our mind: Will we indeed be resurrected and brought forth in front of our Lord? will the promised day of Justice happen? for this reason, we humans want to see justice immediately. this is perfectly a fine trait to desire. however, do we have all the tools to promote true justice such that the punishment received for is EQUAL in amount with regards to the crime committed? do we have all the knowledge and wisdom to implement a truly just system in this world where even a little tiny misdeed will not go unpunished?

an example: person1 who committed 50 murders and get caught, person2 who committed 15 murders and get caught. both receive death penalty. do you think this is fair retribution?

perhaps, something to ponder upon!

by the way, for those of you who don't know, my boro mama fought in the '71 war and Alhamdulillah! he is still alive and well functioning today...

Last edited by Rifat; March 23, 2011 at 10:24 PM..
Old March 23, 2011, 10:17 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

ok this my story.

1992 word cup. i was only 10 years old. a student of class four. that was the first time i saw a Cricket World Cup. though my father claims i also watched some games of 1987 World Cups when i used to live in Manchester but i cant remember anything.

anyway in 1992 World Cup i had nobody to support particualarly. i watched all the games televised and was mainly interested about learning all the rules and aspects of the game and get to know different players thoroughly. and at the end pak reached the finals.

during the final i decided i will support the team that will win and be champions. and finally Pakistan won.

the next day my grandmother(Nanu) came from Faridpur. I asked my Nanu whether she watched the final and whom she was supporting. she told england. i told she is a loser and i told her although i was not supporting anyone particularly, i decided in future i will support pakistan. I saw Tears in my grand mothers eyes. i could not figure out why. but i figured out in two-three days.

in 1971, my grandmother lost one of his son. he was an engineering student. my grandmother somehow survived from being tortured. my grandfather had to hide out from the Pak military with her other sons and daughter. not only my grandfather-grandmother, most of the people suffered from this scenario. How can my grandmother who lost his son in 1971 can support Pakistan now ??? and also how can she hold his tears when she hears that his grand son decided to support Pakistan ?

i felt ashamed and i decided not to support Pakistan.

another story. i cant exactly say when it was but it was an asi cup and PAK beat IND in Dhaka. they were in Sonargaon Hotel. on of my uncle used to work there and he was asigned as caretaker of pak team. He was lucky to meet some of the Pak great players. He asked one of the PAK players about the support of BD ppl.

he answered "there are two kind of ppl in Bangladesh. one is those who were against the liberation war. they supported Pak in 1971 then and still supports Pakistan. another is those who took part in liberation were. they got themselves murdered, got themselves raped by Pakistanis and doesn't support Pakistan now."

NB: these are only my feelings expressed. i did not post this to force anybody to change who they support. who you support and why you support is up to you. i have no complains .u have ur brains to decide whats good for u. i have mine. SORRY IF I HURT ANYONE OF YOU.
Old March 23, 2011, 10:39 PM
Street Cricketer

Funniest part about this whole issue is, most of us who r muslims get offended for being called terrorists by many in foreign countries. we try to explain it to them that those SOME so called muslims r terrorists...NOT ALL of us r bad....and yet many of us hate pakistan cricket team or anything to do with pakistan by using that exact excuse. since SOME pakistanis committed genocide in 71, it makes all of them bad and we dont like any of them.

p.s.this is coming from a hater of pakistani and indian cricket team, i just can't stand either of those teams for personal reasons, not for anything else related to 71 or politics for tht matter.
Old March 23, 2011, 11:30 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING-KHAN
What has Pakistan cricket team got to do with politics??

What happened in 71 is regretted by all Pakistanis. It was the dirty politicians, military and has nothing to do with the general population.

You are free to live in fools paradise. As far as I am aware of, not a single Pakistani has been punished for those horrendous deeds. Of course, Pakistanis express regret about 1971. That is because that is the best way to divert the issue of not punishing war criminals. If the people really felt like pressing their govt or military to take actions against horrible criminals, they would. Truth is they really don't want to press for such an action. Only fools will believe expressions of fake regrets not backed by any protests or demand for action. In short, without concrete action, expression of regret is not to be taken seriously.
Old March 23, 2011, 11:33 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Boys Boys..we are derailing this thread..there is a Forget Cricket Section in this Forum to Talk about 71
Old March 24, 2011, 12:16 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Top post Sohel bhai.
Enough said of this subject matter.
I find it pretty disturbing to be honest.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 24, 2011, 12:48 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Forgive. Don't you want your Lord (to whom you shall return and there is no doubt about that) to forgive you?

Note, this is not that kind of forgiveness that you will point out in the future, "I forgave you and what you have done for me?" Forgive from your heart. At least try once. Take a step and your Lord will make it easy for you.

Official apology is that important? We have our land for 40 years almost. Look what we have done to it.