facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 16, 2003, 06:37 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Bangladesh and Wisden

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this board. I read up the responses to what I had written in March, paying special attention to the scathing ones.
For the record, I was in Bangladesh in May 2000 for the Asia Cup and I talked to several ex players and senior fans who reckoned Test status had come too early. But leave that be.
The real question is, why has a team that showed such encouraging signs early on gone backwards so rapidly? There is undoubtedly talent there, which makes it all the more frustrating to watch when performances don't match up - and mistakes are repeated.
Wisden have been equally scathing at times with India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and every other team that has been inconsistent. Did you read any of the headlines when England were being hammered in the Ashes? For the record, what is constructive criticism? Everyone has been talking about the first-class structure for years, but little seems to have been done about it.
The Wisden way is to write it as you see it, and in recent months, Bangladesh haven't deserved much leeway. Mind you, the last couple of games in the Dhaka triangular were a massive improvement and a step forward. Also, a couple of good sessions against South Africa.
I'd really like to know what many of you here think is the way forward for Bangladesh cricket. I was blown away by the enthusiasm of the fans in Dhaka, some of the finest I have seen, which makes it all the more sad that the team lets them down.
Actually, if one of you can send in your ideas on the road ahead in article form (I'll edit it), we'd be only to happy to have it published online, and also in Wisden Asia Cricket magazine.

Regards,
Dileep

PS. It's interesting that many prefer to see me as an arrogant, big-brother Indian with contempt for Bangladeshis. Trust me, no one will be happier if Bangladesh give someone a good working-over one of these days.