facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 31, 2017, 01:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340
Default Do You Guys Miss Bangladesh

This is a question that I have wanted to ask you guys all, what was the main force driving you guys to leave your own country and to go abroad, do you guys miss your home town/Country.

Just came back from BD 3 Days ago, damn it grows on you after a while, and you miss the hubbub of the streets and people at night, in contrast to Australia where the roads are empty at 8-10pm, except Lakemba of course

Old February 1, 2017, 08:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

I been Bangladesh only few times, but they were some the best times of my life. I have so much, much beautiful, wonderful, sad (happy way) memories in my holidays to Bangladesh!. I can write an whole essay on it. Will do, soon!.
The last time I went was in 2011. So yes I do miss BD, for many reasons.

Good thread. I don't understand why posters havent posted anything here, yet!
Old February 2, 2017, 12:23 AM
Cricket Savant

No I don't. Not one least bit.

If I did, I would have settled there.

It may sound Benedict Arnold like given my love for BANGLADESH cricket but it stems more out of pity for an underdog team who always had the brunt of utter destitute, poverty, flood, cyclone and negative portrayal in media and the possibility to rise above all odds.

Top reasons for not missing my home country:

1. Nationality doesn't define me. Just like skin color, religion, name, culture doesn't define me. Some people will point out but you are born there. SO WHAT! Suppose a woman is born as a woman so her gender defines her? FFS

2. Freedom. This I cherish more than anything. Even though I go to desi parties, but at least I can leave whenever I want. I don't have to put with dadagiri from others about why I don't go to college, why I don't have a job, why I have tattoos, why I am not married and why I don't follow religion.
Of course, this is ironic given our current state of affairs here in US but at least there is law in this land. They can't just nazi up and lock you down for nothing. Sure there are injustices and brutalities and abuses everywhere, but at least unlike Bangladesh I don't live in a fear mongering state where just out of hate and spite and filthy corruption someone can lock you up.

3. Intellectual and cerebral stimulation. This is actually the main thing. Idiots always bring up living as a leech and driving my brand new car, but these idiots fail to see the main reason why I love my country and proudly so, is because of the rampant knowledge, freedom to do so and explore other avenues, libraries, books, creative avenues etc that really opens the door for growth, positive psychology and human development. After all, take a handful of certain population and throw them in a xystus of Olympia and just see who always comes out on top. Of course, there (was) USSR and now China but in 9 times of 10 USA will dominate any given subject, domain and field. And the fact is if US indeed really had hots for cricket, they would have exploded the game inside out and leave no stone unturned to make sure they come out on top.

Patriotism is a MINDSET. US is a brand for pursuit of excellence and human growth instead of victim mentality, excuse culture and blaming others. Sure we got 10000 problems but at the end of the day I will live in no place other than the world, than here....even as a homeless person.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 3, 2017, 10:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

^ Top post.
Old February 10, 2017, 08:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
No I don't. Not one least bit.

If I did, I would have settled there.

It may sound Benedict Arnold like given my love for BANGLADESH cricket but it stems more out of pity for an underdog team who always had the brunt of utter destitute, poverty, flood, cyclone and negative portrayal in media and the possibility to rise above all odds.

Top reasons for not missing my home country:

1. Nationality doesn't define me. Just like skin color, religion, name, culture doesn't define me. Some people will point out but you are born there. SO WHAT! Suppose a woman is born as a woman so her gender defines her? FFS

2. Freedom. This I cherish more than anything. Even though I go to desi parties, but at least I can leave whenever I want. I don't have to put with dadagiri from others about why I don't go to college, why I don't have a job, why I have tattoos, why I am not married and why I don't follow religion.
Of course, this is ironic given our current state of affairs here in US but at least there is law in this land. They can't just nazi up and lock you down for nothing. Sure there are injustices and brutalities and abuses everywhere, but at least unlike Bangladesh I don't live in a fear mongering state where just out of hate and spite and filthy corruption someone can lock you up.

3. Intellectual and cerebral stimulation. This is actually the main thing. Idiots always bring up living as a leech and driving my brand new car, but these idiots fail to see the main reason why I love my country and proudly so, is because of the rampant knowledge, freedom to do so and explore other avenues, libraries, books, creative avenues etc that really opens the door for growth, positive psychology and human development. After all, take a handful of certain population and throw them in a xystus of Olympia and just see who always comes out on top. Of course, there (was) USSR and now China but in 9 times of 10 USA will dominate any given subject, domain and field. And the fact is if US indeed really had hots for cricket, they would have exploded the game inside out and leave no stone unturned to make sure they come out on top.

Patriotism is a MINDSET. US is a brand for pursuit of excellence and human growth instead of victim mentality, excuse culture and blaming others. Sure we got 10000 problems but at the end of the day I will live in no place other than the world, than here....even as a homeless person.
Top post
Lots to love about Bangladesh and Bengali culture, and lots I wish were different.
Old February 11, 2017, 10:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Bangladesh is a shithole if you aren't filthy rich.. I mean really RICH... Even then you are bound to be exposed to the **** no matter how big of a bubble you create for yourself.

Its a good country to live in for 3 weeks out of the year though...
Old February 11, 2017, 02:08 PM
Cricket Savant

I was a bit excited when I wrote that and in retrospect I certainly won't badmouth my country. When I will be named People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive 2023, I would still liked to be remembered and featured as BANGLADESHI-American and not by the passport that I carry.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 11, 2017, 02:36 PM
Cricket Sage

opssss.... sorry.... wrong thread ... I thought it was about "Miss Bangladesh"...

good bye.
Old February 12, 2017, 05:23 PM
ODI Cricketer

nah i don't, like someone said about- it's good for 3 weeks, and letting your family relatives know that you're still alive.

the place itself, is becoming too americanised/indiansed. backward/archaic/narrow minded traditions and mentalities. Too much 'dadagiri' 'boro lok giri'

like I wrote in another thread, locals have forgeotten their roots more than people who moved abroad- they all cool becuase they hang at gloria jeans but i'm khet for wanting to hang at local street stalls and things.

different standards/social hierarchy depending what your relation/status is etc

people are still evolving there as part of evolution
Old February 12, 2017, 08:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mas_UK25
I been Bangladesh only few times, but they were some the best times of my life. I have so much, much beautiful, wonderful, sad (happy way) memories in my holidays to Bangladesh!. I can write an whole essay on it. Will do, soon!.
The last time I went was in 2011. So yes I do miss BD, for many reasons.

Good thread. I don't understand why posters havent posted anything here, yet!
I think the OP has targeted the thread at people who grew up in BD and then left.
Old February 13, 2017, 04:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Yes I do miss Bangladesh as that is where majority of my family is and where I was born. When I was growing up Dhaka was an amazing city. People were not so crooked, traffic jams meant stuck in traffic for 10/15 minutes extra during rush hour, playing cricket was common, society had more moral values and respect.

But the country and its people was changing rapidly in the 00s in the wrong direction in all aspects which is disheartening. People had forgot the simple pleasures in life and had become too materliastic. Dhaka is not an ideal place for majority to bring up a family.

These days even going back on holiday, its like torture with all these dawats to attend. I try to get out of Dhaka, as its more pleasent and relaxing.

However the love for the country never stops after all its my Motherland. I like being an ambassador and try to give people a picture of the country. Indians and Pakistanis seriously have a misconception about the country and I have managed to atleast correct that. Also try to help the country and its people when I can.

Old February 13, 2017, 04:37 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-man

the place itself, is becoming too americanised/indiansed. backward/archaic/narrow minded traditions and mentalities. Too much 'dadagiri' 'boro lok giri'

like I wrote in another thread, locals have forgeotten their roots more than people who moved abroad- they all cool becuase they hang at gloria jeans but i'm khet for wanting to hang at local street stalls and things.

different standards/social hierarchy depending what your relation/status is etc

people are still evolving there as part of evolution
You wrote exactly how I feel bro .

The youth have these ludicrous luxurious prom nights. You are encouraged to drink booze and take recreational drugs at a young age from peer pressure. Facebook is not to stay connected to mates but a platform for showing off.

Back in the day when someone got hurt people would rush to help them. Now take a selfie first and post it before anyone on facebook.

Alot of non sense stuff has been adopted from India especially in marriages. The mehendi functions are large and the dancing troups are so cheesy these days with dances to bollywood music. Wtf is this "gigu" nonsense? Also alot of them have even developed speaking English with an Indian accent.

I used to always like to hang out at local stalls and still do when I visit BD. I like watching bangla natoks. My cousins tease me for it and say that I have moved abroad thats why I am more attached to these things. I told them I used to do these things when I was their age.
Old February 13, 2017, 05:48 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: ABD

Bangladeshis are day by day becoming more and more polarised in ethics, political views, religiosity etc. Even in dresses(especially woman).

I see both the conservative dresses and liberal open dresses rising among women. Moderate aka old traditional bengali dresses like ghumtas with salwar camiz, simple sutir sharees are vanishing. Jeans, full sleeve shirts/Selwar camiz or odd looking full sleeve sharees with hijab is very common. Not that I encountered with back in 2000s.

WHY is that?

Go TIGERS GO...
Old February 13, 2017, 05:39 PM
ODI Cricketer

Don't even get me started on wedding bro. nothing against marriages, but i wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy, the troubles and stress of weddings.

i got married recently, though i only had light stuff, holud/reception/akth...a lot of these "traditions" are pathetic i think. I can only imagine back in the day, a lot of wedding events happened out of simplicity and people had to kill time, but these days people have 20 or so events and everything has become a status exhibition. the whole meaning behind mahir is lost and everything is extravagant because "you only get married once" which is as pathetic as mushy reviewing an lbw off the bat.

there needs to be a massive reset in people's way of lives, return them back to the stone age and instill some humility and discipline.

not only do not I not miss bangladesh, but i'm sick of bangali culture living abroad.

there's a lot we can learn from shada manush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
You wrote exactly how I feel bro .

The youth have these ludicrous luxurious prom nights. You are encouraged to drink booze and take recreational drugs at a young age from peer pressure. Facebook is not to stay connected to mates but a platform for showing off.

Back in the day when someone got hurt people would rush to help them. Now take a selfie first and post it before anyone on facebook.

Alot of non sense stuff has been adopted from India especially in marriages. The mehendi functions are large and the dancing troups are so cheesy these days with dances to bollywood music. Wtf is this "gigu" nonsense? Also alot of them have even developed speaking English with an Indian accent.

I used to always like to hang out at local stalls and still do when I visit BD. I like watching bangla natoks. My cousins tease me for it and say that I have moved abroad thats why I am more attached to these things. I told them I used to do these things when I was their age.
Old February 13, 2017, 05:50 PM
Cricket Guru

Congrats man!

I actually like the Bangladeshi culture of the old. Weddings in U.K. remind me of that. I find it more classy and traditional.

yes there are many good things we can learn from the white man, but that doesn't mean there is no merit in our own culture.

One is not using slangs when speaking casually. Washing yourself properly after going to the toilet. Not walking nude in the gym shower and changing area 😀

Quote:
Don't even get me started on wedding bro. nothing against marriages, but i wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy, the troubles and stress of weddings.

i got married recently, though i only had light stuff, holud/reception/akth...a lot of these "traditions" are pathetic i think. I can only imagine back in the day, a lot of wedding events happened out of simplicity and people had to kill time, but these days people have 20 or so events and everything has become a status exhibition. the whole meaning behind mahir is lost and everything is extravagant because "you only get married once" which is as pathetic as mushy reviewing an lbw off the bat.

there needs to be a massive reset in people's way of lives, return them back to the stone age and instill some humility and discipline.

not only do not I not miss bangladesh, but i'm sick of bangali culture living abroad.

there's a lot we can learn from shada manush.
Old February 13, 2017, 07:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

thanks bro!

all that is also true..

Quote:
Congrats man!

I actually like the Bangladeshi culture of the old. Weddings in U.K. remind me of that. I find it more classy and traditional.

yes there are many good things we can learn from the white man, but that doesn't mean there is no merit in our own culture.

One is not using slangs when speaking casually. Washing yourself properly after going to the toilet. Not walking nude in the gym shower and changing area 😀
Old February 13, 2017, 07:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
thanks bro!

all that is also true..
For the people flying from Sydney did you have to shout plane tickets?? HAHA. Saw all the pics man felt like i was there in spirit. Congrats once again bro.
Old February 13, 2017, 10:32 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

https://youtu.be/lLGs5stDzzs
Old February 13, 2017, 10:52 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
For the people flying from Sydney did you have to shout plane tickets?? HAHA. Saw all the pics man felt like i was there in spirit. Congrats once again bro.
haha accom i did to some extent. thanks bro, was pree small!
Old February 14, 2017, 02:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Visited BD recently after a couple of years. Gotta say one of the sad things for me is how the country has become so overly religious. We were always a moderate muslim nation, now you walk around Dhaka and it looks like a Middle Eastern country. Everyone is either dressed like a mullah or in niqab.

We're losing a lot of the Bengali identity- both in clothing and mindset. Where are the colorful saris and selwar kameez? Alot of arabic writings everywhere on the streets. So much for being "Bangladesh"

For someone not overly religious, it was disheartening to see. Might as well become East Pakistan again at this rate.
Old February 14, 2017, 05:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
Visited BD recently after a couple of years. Gotta say one of the sad things for me is how the country has become so overly religious. We were always a moderate muslim nation, now you walk around Dhaka and it looks like a Middle Eastern country. Everyone is either dressed like a mullah or in niqab.

We're losing a lot of the Bengali identity- both in clothing and mindset. Where are the colorful saris and selwar kameez? Alot of arabic writings everywhere on the streets. So much for being "Bangladesh"

For someone not overly religious, it was disheartening to see. Might as well become East Pakistan again at this rate.
I dont know which part of Dhaka you went to that resembles a Middle Eastern country but I didnt see that much change. Although I did notice more young girls wearing the hijab than before, which isnt a bad change.

However I saw more uni girls wearing non traditional Bangladeshi clothing. And I dont want to tell you what I saw at the 5 star hotels I saw some pictures of the prom nights certain schools hold and it seems you are watching a gala bollywood event.

We have changed as a nation I do agree tbh.

Just out of curiosity are you a non muslim?

Kumar Biswajit sang it right in the 90s: Ek din Bangali chilam re
Old February 14, 2017, 05:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Quote:

Really?

I didnt notice this whilst I was in the Mirpur/Banani Area

To be honest, I really dislike the idea of the complete Burqa that covers everything from head to toe, It really isn`t compatible in todays societal context, and lets not get started on the social implications it draws out, people in this century need to see a face in order to communicate, don`t get why people still wear the Burqa, as I see it as a hinderance to rights plus, its deeming, just my two cents anyway
Old February 16, 2017, 02:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I dont know which part of Dhaka you went to that resembles a Middle Eastern country but I didnt see that much change. Although I did notice more young girls wearing the hijab than before, which isnt a bad change.

However I saw more uni girls wearing non traditional Bangladeshi clothing. And I dont want to tell you what I saw at the 5 star hotels I saw some pictures of the prom nights certain schools hold and it seems you are watching a gala bollywood event.

We have changed as a nation I do agree tbh.

Just out of curiosity are you a non muslim?

Kumar Biswajit sang it right in the 90s: Ek din Bangali chilam re
haha do you think a non-muslim would dare to complain like this? It's bad enough our religious minorities have to walk on egg-shells, lest they say or do something to offend and have an angry mob attack their church/mondirs. I guess that's another aspect of BD I don't like: there are just too many illiterates who use religion as an excuse for violence. It's happened way too much in the last few years and the hindus always get the worst of it.

I visited BD after a 8 year gap, and the conservative garb was one of the first things that stood out. I also grew up in the west so maybe these things are just something I'm not used too? Also, I suppose being a minority in the US means that I'm always sensitive about how minorities get treated elsewhere (including BD).

I don't want to give the impression that I hate BD - I don't. There's a lot I love as well. Gram-er bari, away from Dhaka, is absolutely heaven. Swimming in the pukur, eating fruits that americans have never even heard of, drinking chai at the bazaar.
Old February 16, 2017, 04:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
haha do you think a non-muslim would dare to complain like this? It's bad enough our religious minorities have to walk on egg-shells, lest they say or do something to offend and have an angry mob attack their church/mondirs. I guess that's another aspect of BD I don't like: there are just too many illiterates who use religion as an excuse for violence. It's happened way too much in the last few years and the hindus always get the worst of it.

I visited BD after a 8 year gap, and the conservative garb was one of the first things that stood out. I also grew up in the west so maybe these things are just something I'm not used too? Also, I suppose being a minority in the US means that I'm always sensitive about how minorities get treated elsewhere (including BD).

I don't want to give the impression that I hate BD - I don't. There's a lot I love as well. Gram-er bari, away from Dhaka, is absolutely heaven. Swimming in the pukur, eating fruits that americans have never even heard of, drinking chai at the bazaar.
I asked the question as it seemed you were non muslims, but know atleast I can understand why you made your comments.

Tbh even literates in our use country religion for an excuse of violence. Banani Artisaan, attacks on bloggers etc done by people from good universities. This is worrying and it must be stopped.

However I have a few acquaintaces who are non muslims in Dhaka, and they are living their lives as any other Bangladeshi would. What you have pointed out of temples/churches are happening in the villages as far as I am aware. I personally think these are more politically motivated.

I think the conservative aspect has come about to oppose how fast our culture and country is changing maybe? You only need to go to the clubs/parties to see what I mean.

Btw, I know alot of people who have left Bangladesh and started wearing the hijab or growing a beard. I wonder how people feel about that.

I dont know how much you know about Bangladesh, but when I was growing up people were modest, but the picture you are saying about it has become like Middle East is a bit exxagerated IMO.

The concern for me is how people are manipulating the youth to achieve their ulterior motives, the problem with traffic jams, people getting immoral, the changing pattern of our culture, The decreasing livelehood of the standard citizen to name a few.

Different people will have different impressions/memories of Bangladesh, as you will have yours. Just try to help her as much as you can if you really want to make a difference