facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 21, 2019, 10:40 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Pivotal point in BD upsurge

I think one of the most pivotal moment in our cricket history was the year 2014. We had an awful 2014 and managed to lose against Hong kong. It was from that time that BCB brought in Haturisinghe and BCB then appointed Mashrafee as our captain. Mashrafee being the leader just changed the way of our cricket. He changed the mindset of our players. Results may have varied here and there because of ability but the new mindset was visible throughout.

Many times we criticize BCB for their actions but I can’t thank BCB enough for bringing that change in the form of Haturi then Mashrafee and instilling this new mindset in our game.

There is no time to look back now. I believe this world will be a continuation of this journey. So expect great things and all the best to our beloved tigers.

Old May 21, 2019, 10:59 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

I think it was 2012 Asia cup

this was the first time we defeated 2 different G8 team back to back, after the first BPL players confidence was high, We played the Asia cup just right after BPL and players felt they could

2013 was also OK

2014 we was awful but if you look at the matches they were not that awful as we lost many close matches that we should have won, the belief from 2012/2013 was hit under mushfik and at the end the right man who should have been the captain regained it back

So IMHO the starting point was 2012
Old May 21, 2019, 11:01 PM
Cricket Legend

I think it was 2000.

Started from the bottom now we're here.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:15 AM
ODI Cricketer

I think it was AD 1971
Old May 22, 2019, 12:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

2015. beating England in such a dramatic fashion. And then that insane home stand, beating pak, sa, ind. team is still riding on that confidence.
Old May 22, 2019, 03:01 AM
Cricket Legend

I will point to one of the negative pivotal points. Making Ashraful captain. If Mash were given captaincy instead of vice captaincy at that time - who knows - we probably would have progressed much more.
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Old May 22, 2019, 03:32 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

It has to be ICC trophy 1997 that has made the lasting impact on our cricket fortune.

Next will be 1999 World Cup win over Pakistan that secured the Test status.

More recently, Mashrafe and Haturu combination changed the belief system of the team.

Keeping a core group of players and allowing them to develop helped the cause.
Old May 22, 2019, 09:52 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

The Fizz
Old May 22, 2019, 10:00 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

You'll missed the Fool magic beating #1 Australia at Cardiff in 2005? Losing to Canada, winning nothing, there were whispers and murmurs of taking our Test Status away and give it to Ireland. We didn't even believe we could compete let alone win against any big team. That Pak win in the WC was considered as fluke + Pak letting their guard down since they already qualified for the next stage and was a dead rubber match; even though that gave us the test status prematurely.

7 April 2007 beating then #1 team SA in a WC match? How could you?
Old May 22, 2019, 10:01 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
The Fizz
God Send. + Soumya.
Old May 22, 2019, 09:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
God Send. + Soumya.
And Riyad in top form. He eventually came out of his shell and became way more confident with his batting abilities. I never thought he would be a slogger for us either LOL.

At one point time Riyad and Naeem were fighting for positions in the BD team. I wish the management gave Naeem gave the same amount of opportunities that they gave Riyad, and it would have eventually paid off as Naeem would have been a great no. 5 for BD in both ODIs and Tests.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:09 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
And Riyad in top form. He eventually came out of his shell and became way more confident with his batting abilities. I never thought he would be a slogger for us either LOL.

At one point time Riyad and Naeem were fighting for positions in the BD team. I wish the management gave Naeem gave the same amount of opportunities that they gave Riyad, and it would have eventually paid off as Naeem would have been a great no. 5 for BD in both ODIs and Tests.
Nayeem Islam er to sundori shaali chilo na
Old May 23, 2019, 07:54 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_o_mati
Nayeem Islam er to sundori shaali chilo na
Yes, he had close connection with the wrong guy (Shakib). Then captain was Roey's best friend.
Old May 23, 2019, 08:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

For those who are talking about starting point before 2014, I disagree. We played for shommanjonok porajoi. Doesn't count. We were never taken seriously.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:01 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarufH
For those who are talking about starting point before 2014, I disagree. We played for shommanjonok porajoi. Doesn't count. We were never taken seriously.
To some extent, Yes. But without history future can't be build. Those are stepping stones. Without Wright brothers you cannot have Concord.
Old May 23, 2019, 01:43 PM
Test Cricketer

I realized that I should have clarified that I intended the topic to be about recent upsurge in our cricket team and mentality. Obviously there have been great moments in bd cricket historically. But the recent upsurge is what I wanted to talk about. It has lot to do with changing captaincy from Mushfiqur to Mashrafee. I was nervous going into 2015 wc and the match against Afghanistan looking at our poor form in 2014. That’s why the celebration after the win wasn’t onlyabout winning a group match against Afghanistan, It was also relief and a signal of much greater things to come. A confident captain brings contagious confidence to rest of the team. The transformation Mash installed with Haturu was a great transformation which carried onto the pak, ind, sa series and up until now. I cant even imagine how mushfiqur wud have fared if he was still the captain!
Old May 24, 2019, 12:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
To some extent, Yes. But without history future can't be build. Those are stepping stones. Without Wright brothers you cannot have Concord.
Some would argue that we got our test status too early. Think how good South Africa was right after the apartheid. IMHO, our domestic structure was horrendous to call it stepping stones.
Old May 24, 2019, 01:56 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

If we didn’t get Test status when we did we would not have come this far atleast in ODIs. We wouldnt have played that many games.

Yes it was an extremely difficult stage for the team and fans, but all that misery and struggles are soon starting to paying off.
Old May 24, 2019, 03:59 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarufH
Some would argue that we got our test status too early. Think how good South Africa was right after the apartheid. IMHO, our domestic structure was horrendous to call it stepping stones.
Lets look at it from a different angle. Say, you want to fast track Indonesia or Malaysia to test status prematurely. They have population. They have a better facilities to create an infra structure (Sports ministry more transparent and they have World level success in other sports - Example: Badminton)

At the beginning, they will continue to lose to every nation and even Bangladesh. Then just like magic Tamim-Shak players arrive. They will upset few. Without the early woes they would not learn or get to the Test level where they would compete regularly. It took Ind 17 years to win their 1st Test. This is a game one must go throw the process. NZ, SL all went through as Minnows. Afghans are not the norm. Their ascendance is nothing short of miracle. Kenya could not sustain their success. Zim is failing.

ICC gave us the status early. Yes. Lets see how Ireland does getting it late, say in 10 years.
Old May 24, 2019, 06:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Lets look at it from a different angle. Say, you want to fast track Indonesia or Malaysia to test status prematurely. They have population. They have a better facilities to create an infra structure (Sports ministry more transparent and they have World level success in other sports - Example: Badminton)

At the beginning, they will continue to lose to every nation and even Bangladesh. Then just like magic Tamim-Shak players arrive. They will upset few. Without the early woes they would not learn or get to the Test level where they would compete regularly. It took Ind 17 years to win their 1st Test. This is a game one must go throw the process. NZ, SL all went through as Minnows. Afghans are not the norm. Their ascendance is nothing short of miracle. Kenya could not sustain their success. Zim is failing.

ICC gave us the status early. Yes. Lets see how Ireland does getting it late, say in 10 years.
I see where you are coming from. Some of my most memorable cricketing moments are from those "jodi laigga jai" era.
Old May 24, 2019, 09:27 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Masrafi, Shakib, Tamim

I think 2007 WC win against India. We found Shakib, Mushfique & Tamim. The mindset of Habibul Basher & co. was changed by an aggressive bunch. Tamim's six against Zahir Khan showed that a bold generation of cricketers have arrived.
Old May 25, 2019, 07:24 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

I think Ireland and Afghanistan were given Test status so that ICC has more reason to enforce a two tier system.