facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 8, 2007, 07:12 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default What do you guys think about this idea

I feel the main reason for political turmoil, corruption and a lot of its derivatives stem out of the lack of accountability of the government. A lot of people blame the parties, but the incentives provided by our current system is so perverse that these things are bound to happen(given that angels are not politicians). I have been thinking about this issue and have thought of this system which i believe it would diminsh the perverse incentives provided by the current system. I am not looking into the political or legal feasibility of the idea. I would like every one to comment on this.
Here it goes

The government has three branches. Judicial, legislative and executive.
We need to separate these branches. What i am talking about is federalism.

First, we need a decentralized government, like the congress in Us. Secondly the current parliament, which would be like the senate. The former will deal with local problems and the latter with national legislation. Both of these would be our legislative branch and should be elected by the people.

The executive branch should be separate and should be also elected. This branch will be dealing with all the money/development etc etc. No member of this part of the govt should be eligible to be on the other parts.

What this will ensure is people will not run for elections only for money. Also since they will be not running for money it will mean that they will be serious about their jobs as legislators and keep the executive branch, where the most corruption takes place, under check. However, there is potential for high levels of corruption between these two branches. Here is where the strong judiciary system would come in. Since they will not be accountable to either branches of the government, they will do a better job.

Even though this system would not eliminate anything, I believe it will mitigate a lot of political crisis and provide a very robust framework for dealing with economic crisis. And the beauty is that for once the two parties will have to be accountable to each other and hence will learn to work together.

Your thoughts will be appreciated

Old January 8, 2007, 07:29 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

Good idea indeed,
Old January 8, 2007, 08:05 AM
Retired BC Admin

In other words, are you implying to follow the US model?

If I'm not mistaken, Parliamentary Govt was installed over the Presidential one in a bid to prevent the military to take over the power. Remember the fall of Ershad?
Old January 8, 2007, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman

If I'm not mistaken, Parliamentary Govt was installed over the Presidential one in a bid to prevent the military to take over the power. Remember the fall of Ershad?
Actually, and historically, Parliamentary government was done away with Mujib's Bakshal, where Mujib became the first "President" from the "Prime Minister" of the country. This was, essentially a "One-Party" system, some ways similar to the Communist models around the world. Mujib's powers were increased many folds throug this change. Later, BNP followed the same Presidential system. It was reverted back to pre-Bakshal era after the fall of Ershad.

Some of the very few things both major parties agreed on, after the fall or Ershad:

Parliamentary system.
Elections under caretaker government (I think the initial proposal was for next three elections only).
Old January 8, 2007, 04:54 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
Actually, and historically, Parliamentary government was done away with Mujib's Bakshal, where Mujib became the first "President" from the "Prime Minister" of the country. This was, essentially a "One-Party" system, some ways similar to the Communist models around the world. Mujib's powers were increased many folds throug this change. Later, BNP followed the same Presidential system. It was reverted back to pre-Bakshal era after the fall of Ershad.

Some of the very few things both major parties agreed on, after the fall or Ershad:

Parliamentary system.
Elections under caretaker government (I think the initial proposal was for next three elections only).
I think the careteaker government was only for that election, hence the craziness of 1996.
Old January 8, 2007, 04:59 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman

Well in a sense i am implying to follow the US model.

I do not know much about the political system during ershads rule. Was he elected the president? And why would that system be more susceptible to military take over as opposed to the current system. What I feel is that there was a lack of democracy at that time which lead to military rule. In the system i m propsing all the branches will be eleted and the legislative branches will not be involved in the planning of development. I doubt this was the case during ershad.
Old January 9, 2007, 05:21 AM

A nation which has failed horribly to implement / practice almost any sort of law / system, should not even think about new system on earth. An unique system may change atmosphere / hope for a short time, but at the end will become same failure, since we don't know how implement or maintain to bring the desired result. Simply we are not used to practice any system properly, or not willing to do so for whatever own reason. Current CG system is a good example, and of course there are many other example in short scale like justice, police, education and what not. All are seriously corrupted even having their own law and management system.

My point is ... rather we concentrate on learning how to implement and practice existing / recognized system on earth, that would be obviously more easy. We need to learn the basic first, before going for invent something new. Otherwise we always will live in controversy, and will dance on street every issue we face. Rest of the world, even India will show their sympathy and will wish our best as usual.

IMO, only few change may bring a stable situation in our country ... for example ... independent justice, election, police, corruption prosecution bureau etc. can bring a drastic change in our society, as well as in politics. And the result will start to come in a short time of period I believe ... say in 10 years? ... ( am I dreaming or what? )

I don't see other short cut, but implement those things as soon as possible and practice ( law and enforcement ).
Old January 9, 2007, 05:42 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
A nation which has failed horribly to implement / practice almost any sort of law / system, should not even think about new system on earth. An unique system may change atmosphere / hope for a short time, but at the end will become same failure, since we don't know how implement or maintain to bring the desired result. Simply we are not used to practice any system properly, or not willing to do so for whatever own reason. Current CG system is a good example, and of course there are many other example in short scale like justice, police, education and what not. All are seriously corrupted even having their own law and management system.

My point is ... rather we concentrate on learning how to implement and practice existing / recognized system on earth, that would be obviously more easy. We need to learn the basic first, before going for invent something new. Otherwise we always will live in controversy, and will dance on street every issue we face. Rest of the world, even India will show their sympathy and will wish our best as usual.

IMO, only few change may bring a stable situation in our country ... for example ... independent justice, election, police, corruption prosecution bureau etc. can bring a drastic change in our society, as well as in politics. And the result will start to come in a short time of period I believe ... say in 10 years? ... ( am I dreaming or what? )

I don't see other short cut, but implement those things as soon as possible and practice ( law and enforcement ).
The current system provides perverse incentives for these things to happen. hence this idea. You do not expect people to change their attitude just like that do you?
Old January 9, 2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBgun
The current system provides perverse incentives for these things to happen. hence this idea. You do not expect people to change their attitude just like that do you?
No, they are just going to happen sooner than we expect perhaps. Remember donor countries, WB, IMF are providing loan on condition 'good governance'? Not just loan but big pressure from them. BNP govt was forced to act … be it on just paper, but somewhat a start at least. So will do if BAL come to power next ( some action on those ).

And yes, I do not expect a sudden attitude change ... rather hopeful to see the result START ( those system start to work ) to come in next 10 years.
Old January 9, 2007, 04:13 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
No, they are just going to happen sooner than we expect perhaps. Remember donor countries, WB, IMF are providing loan on condition 'good governance'? Not just loan but big pressure from them. BNP govt was forced to act … be it on just paper, but somewhat a start at least. So will do if BAL come to power next ( some action on those ).

And yes, I do not expect a sudden attitude change ... rather hopeful to see the result START ( those system start to work ) to come in next 10 years.
I know a lot of the kids who belong to the elites of this political party. I do no think they are very resolute about making changes.
The main problem of our system is taht you need money to win the elections/ and your are voting for two things with one ballot. Suppose u wanna see BNP come to power but ur local BNP leader is a gunda and there are other candidates who are actually good. Who would u vote for? It provides perverse incentives. People who should get elected have a lower chance of getting elected.
What this system will do is get good people into the parliament and still keep the bad ones for the exucutive branch. This would make the bad people accountable to the good guys. Ofcourse, there could always be collusion.
I am not saying this is a necessary and sufficient condition for improving Bd. I am saying that this system is better suiteed for bangladesh. Ofcourse all the things you mentioned will be required for this system or any system to work