facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 21, 2005, 09:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Mashrafe Mortaza: The Pole Star of Bangladesh Cricket

Mashrafe Mortaza: The Pole Star of Bangladesh Cricket

May be many of us have read this piece, still I brought it as a thread to share it with you all. A good piece of writing about our speed-star.

A Featured Article on Mashrafe Mortaza by Karthik Narayan

The last two years in retrospect have seen so many talented cricketers come to the forefront and stamp their gloveprints on the bat or their fingerprints on the ball – either way a hero emerged every time we, the people, wanted one! And when minnows Bangladesh looked at one for themselves to smile upon to bring a victory, along came a chappie by name Mashrafe Bin Mortaza!

Playing for one’s country is indeed something to be proud of, and also an honour for the self – Mortaza had his share on the cricketing podium on November 8, 2001, when he made his test debut against Zimbabwe at the Bangabandhu Stadium, Dhaka along with Khaled Mahmud. When he walked in to bat as a late order batsman, the team was in dire straits and the debutant could do nothing but watch his side make a paltry 107 all out in less than 50 overs, Travis Friend breathing fire with a five wicket haul. But when the 18-year-old Mortaza got a grip on the red cherry, (he is a right arm medium pace bowler), after a hot opening burst, he spelled out Grant Flower to get his first test scalp. Zimbabwe were in a spot of bother then, and when Mortaza got rid of Stuart Carlisle at 60-4, it seemed that bangaldesh would make a match of it. But not to be! Good knocks from Wishart, Streak, Friend tagged Zimbabwe on to a good total. Bangladesh managed to draw the test. Mortaza ended up with 4 wickets on debut – the journey of international cricket had started for this teen!

This 21 year old’s career record is not international standard, in 14 tests till date (Jan 2005) he has 34 test wickets at an average of 36.11. His batting has just kicked off, hes the late order batsman who likes to belt the ball to all parts of the park. He is not your average Super All Rounder or anything. He is just another good cricketer who wants to prove himself against all odds and all teams. Similarly, ever since his ODI debut against Zimbabwe on November 23, 2001 at Chittagong, where he got his best bowling of 2-26, he has been pretty impressive spearheading the bowling for Bangladesh.

This youngster born in Norail, Khulna in Bangladesh is a good ODI prospect, with a relatively decent record of 14 ODIs, Highest score of 39 (against India recently), and 15 wickets with the cricket ball. Pretty decent to start off, by any means.

When India toured Bangladesh in Dec 2004, this youngster stood tall and bowled well at the top half of the opposition batsmen and then at the death, he has been maturing as a cricketer. This Indian tour helped him gauge himself against some of the best batsmen in the game. And he did ever so well, making runs, and getting wickets at regular intervals in both the two tests and the three ODIs. In fact, India just scraped through in the first ODI and then that magnificent win in the second ODI was purely thanks to this young man. After scoring a sublime, aggressive cameo innings of 31*, he came on to bowl the Bangladeshis to a famous win at Dhaka with two good wickets.

He looks good material to go along for Bangladesh in the years to come, most certainly my Bangladeshi of the year 2004 along with Mohammed Ashraful. Together these cricketers have been the backbone of the Bangladesh team, which is looking rather fresh with the induction of fresh young blood.

Even as I write, the smiles are back on the faces of many a Bangladeshi and it is mainly due to the impact of the young blood like Mortaza in the team. With sharp incisive bowling, blitzkriegs at the slog overs and steadfast improving fielding, this young man has changed the fortunes for this underdog team.

Believe me; this cricketer has it in him to make Bangladesh stand tall alongside the Top Dogs of the cricketing world. As much as it delights cricket fans in Bangladesh and all around the world, watch out world, a bit of hard work and commitment – and one might expect this team to give a Giant or two more than a surprise in the years to come! Here’s wishing that the New Year brings in more success and joy to Mortaza and the entire Bangladesh team.

Source: http://www.cricketfundas.com/mortazaprofile.html

Old February 21, 2005, 09:37 AM
Test Cricketer

Great write up.. I hope thet writer's words become true.. I would certainly hope that Masree can stand upto all the expectations of these people...
Old February 21, 2005, 11:00 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

really nice to see some non bangladeshi writing up good during our hard time instead of criticizing us and icc for our test status.
Old February 21, 2005, 12:12 PM
Test Cricketer

Great article. Very well written.
Old February 21, 2005, 12:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Karthik Narayan for ICC President ....
Old February 21, 2005, 01:33 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam

But when the 18-year-old Mortaza got a grip on the red cherry, (he is a right arm medium pace bowler),
I thaught Masrafee was eithe a Fast or Fast Medium bowler.
Old February 21, 2005, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

he used to be. not anymore
Old February 21, 2005, 02:39 PM
BC Editorial Team

While I appreciate a +ve writeup of one our players by a "bhindeshi", call this article well-written would be an insult to some of the excellent authors we have on this very site. This article reeks of "Gorur Jibon Kahini" style - "ami ekta goru. ami ghash khai. ... "
Old February 21, 2005, 02:47 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by couger
Quote:
Originally posted by Sam

But when the 18-year-old Mortaza got a grip on the red cherry, (he is a right arm medium pace bowler),
I thaught Masrafee was eithe a Fast or Fast Medium bowler.
Mashrafee - fast medium.
Old February 21, 2005, 03:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i am a karthik narayan fan...india has some terrible journalists, but we should praise the greats too

Old February 21, 2005, 03:53 PM
Cricket Legend

I agree with my partner in crime. While its nice to see a positive write-up on Bangladesh by a foreign journo, this is by no means a great piece that ought to elevate Mr. Narayan to the heights of 'great' cricket journalists. I think we should definitely appreciate a positive article on Bangladesh, especially from an Indian writer, as many of us feel that we get a pretty raw deal from the Indian media most of the time. However, lets not start calling someone a great journalist just because he wrote an agreeable article on BD cricket!
Old February 21, 2005, 07:50 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

totally agree with sham and his partner in crime..
Old February 21, 2005, 08:10 PM
Cricket Legend

good stuff.
Old November 6, 2006, 01:15 AM
Street Cricketer

Default thanks

thanks guys.. it was me who wrote that mortaza article... thanks for the good wishes...
Old November 6, 2006, 03:49 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mominul

Nice to see some positive writings on Mashrafi.He has proved most of it, but surely has lot more potential!
Old November 6, 2006, 04:38 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tawanda Mupariwa

.........interestin
Old November 6, 2006, 10:40 AM
Cricket Sage

What is "Pole Star"?

Tar-er Thamba?
Old November 6, 2006, 10:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Pole and star remind me of something else....
Old November 6, 2006, 10:45 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Welcome Sachin_tttkn.
Please follow up your write up with another one. SN may be this time?
Old November 6, 2006, 10:46 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
Pole and star remind me of something else....
Naughty naughty...
Old November 6, 2006, 03:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_tttkn
thanks guys.. it was me who wrote that mortaza article... thanks for the good wishes...
Welcome.

Would you mind if I use a quote from you here?It is hyper linked to your article.
Old November 6, 2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham
I agree with my partner in crime. While its nice to see a positive write-up on Bangladesh by a foreign journo, this is by no means a great piece that ought to elevate Mr. Narayan to the heights of 'great' cricket journalists. I think we should definitely appreciate a positive article on Bangladesh, especially from an Indian writer, as many of us feel that we get a pretty raw deal from the Indian media most of the time. However, lets not start calling someone a great journalist just because he wrote an agreeable article on BD cricket!
In a hungry stomach, anything tastes good. From an Indian writer anything positive about BD (though it is a fact!) is unexpected, thus, comes with surpeise and good feelings!!