facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 22, 2014, 09:23 AM
Cricket Legend

A pace bowling all rounder is important, but neither Forhad Reza or Ziaur Rahman fits the bill. Funnily neither are good with bat or ball. Picking them is almost like playing with ten men.

This was sth Sri Lanka identified, and worked on. Farveez Mahuroof, Angelo Mathews, Thisira Perera. They also worked on Kulasekera's batting so that he could be handy in the final overs.

A pace bowling all rounder wont fall from the sky. We have to work on it. But hope selectors realize Ziaur Rahman sadly is no good.

Old June 22, 2014, 01:26 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

^Exactly! The word "all-rounder" is used abundantly and cheaply in the country. Zia never was a batsman. Just look at the way he swings the bat. Very much a hit-or-miss player. Mashrafe has always been the better option for that kind of cameo innings. Reza used to be a clean hitter of the ball but couldn't stick around for long. Neither he nor the powers that be worked on that potential, but that's the way things are in Bangladesh. Player development is expected to happen by osmosis, but what actually happens is comprehensive decline. Classic Mushfiq Babu situation.

Other seamers who had the potential to become decent batsmen: Tapash Baisya, Dollar Mahmud and Mahbubul Alam Robbin. Abul Hasan Raju is the best of the lot and that's where the focus should be.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; June 22, 2014 at 05:55 PM..
Old June 22, 2014, 04:07 PM
Cricket Savant

ekhon amader key hobe???

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old June 22, 2014, 05:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
^Exactly! The word "all-rounder" is used abundantly and cheaply in the country. Zia never was a batsman. Just look at the way he swings the bat. Very much a hit-or-miss player. Mashrafe has always been the better option for that kind of cameo innings. Reza used to be a clean hitter of the ball but couldn't stick around for long. Neither he nor the powers that be worked on that potential, but that's the way things are in Bangladesh. Player development is expected to happens by osmosis, but what happens is comprehensive decline. Classic Mushfiq Babu situation.

Other seamers who had the potential to become decent batsmen: Tapash Baisya, Dollar Mahmud and Mahbubul Alam Robbin. Abul Hasan Raju is the best of the lot and that's where the focus should be.
abul and dollar still have time, of course i don't expect much improvement though, but it could happen if all the magical things in the universe somehow all aligned.

but yes certainly agree the word all rounder is used to loosely these days, if a bowler manages to hit a boundary they are suddenly an all rounder.
Old March 12, 2015, 05:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

was watching highlights of ziaur to decide for myself if he could have been a proper backup 3rd seamer (instead of shafiul) and jeez u gotta admit he bowled absolute peaches https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taHS8Vl5VYk. People might say he is on the slow side but he does have good bowling stats.
Old March 12, 2015, 05:31 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Yeah, he would have been the highest wicket take in this wc if he was picked. Shame on Bcb for not picking him
Old March 12, 2015, 05:40 PM
Cricket Legend

^^was ur comment a dig at what i just said? If it is then thats very stupid. All i said was him being a backup option...
Old March 12, 2015, 05:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
was watching highlights of ziaur to decide for myself if he could have been a proper backup 3rd seamer (instead of shafiul) and jeez u gotta admit he bowled absolute peaches https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taHS8Vl5VYk. People might say he is on the slow side but he does have good bowling stats.
I fully agree.

Question is. Would one, rather have just a bowler or a guy like Ziaur who can tonk a few? I know who I'd rather have as a 3rd/4th seamer on these AUS-NZ wickets.

If, Ziaur was in the squad we could have even played him down the order as 4th seamer, Moving Soumya open with tamim, dropping Kayes.

Something like this:
Tamim
Sarkar
Mullah
Rahim
Shakib
Shabbir
Nasir
Ziaur
Mashrafee
Rubel
Taskin

that line up tells me we have many options with the ball, On bouncier wickets there's no need to go with another spinner most times. Shakib alone is enough, Plus we have Mahmudullah, Shabiir and Nasir hwo can chip in few overs each.
Ziaur, in the team away from home in ENG, AUS, NZ, is a good choice.

Last edited by Mas_UK25; March 12, 2015 at 07:31 PM..
Old March 12, 2015, 05:55 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

I'm a Zia fan despite him being one of the more unpopular players on the forum. Hopefully he gets a few more opportunities down the line. He would have been in my squad for the WC for sure. If it is true that Shafiul has failed the fitness test then Zia should be flown in in his place for the qf.
Old March 12, 2015, 05:59 PM
Cricket Legend

If Ziaur is the bowler we saw in the video then that lineup would be great. 4 spin options and 4 proper seam options and we have Soumya as another backup seam option. Our whole team can bowl except for Tamim and Mushy lol. And plus we would have a deep batting lineup.
Old March 12, 2015, 06:02 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Admittedly a lot of my fondness for Zia has to do with him looking like a badass and being built like a tank. It's good to have a few players like that in the team to counterbalance the Mominuls and the Nasirs.
Old March 12, 2015, 06:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
I'm a Zia fan. Hopefully he gets a few more opportunities down the line. He would have been in my squad for the WC for sure.
Same here.

His bowling is good, especially on wickets that help pacers, he bowls a heavy bowl, big strapping lad, with big shoulders bangs the bowl in hard. He would have been handy on the AUS-NZ wickets. Some one, down the order as even 4th seamer who will be used for certain overs. Plus he can give it a whack with the bat.

I think he has got out the side cause he's batting was rather poor in General. And they wanted him to be batting all-rounder. I reckon, he is someone who can bowl some good stuffs, and bat a bit whacking few.
Old March 12, 2015, 06:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadim
Yeah, he would have been the highest wicket take in this wc if he was picked. Shame on Bcb for not picking him
Brother Nadim, with all due respect.
This forum is more powerful than we think or imagine. From BCB officials to players to jodu modu kodu type people visit this forum. you do know that sarcasm doesn't really work. now some BCB official read this post and thought it was a good idea and next thing you know Ziaur Rahman flys in the last minute against india....
Old March 12, 2015, 06:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Zia actually a very decent pacer who would have been very handy in the Oz/NZ pitches. And, he has been red hot with the bat in the NCL.

During the selection period for the CWC Zia was not in form. In hindsight, he could have been picked instead of an injured Abul or a spinner.
Old March 12, 2015, 06:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Lol...you're right about sarcasm going over the head of resident Bangladeshi. Take Chowdhury Jafarullah Sharafat, for example. I think he actually believes he has a fan following here on BC!
Old March 12, 2015, 06:23 PM
Cricket Legend

wen i first saw ziaur bowl i always said he bowls so similar to zaheer khan. Just watched both of their bowling side by side and the similarities are uncanny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSXNEs5ADQ0 (have a good laugh at ash dancing, ziaur was getting very nice shape in that vid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11m_j1vKVhY (zaheer khan bowling)
Old March 12, 2015, 06:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Zia

Aminul Islam Bulbul was screaming for Bangler Hulk. He would be an excellent fit for the team whereas 2SLAs are seating and doing nothing atm (except England match). He could easily bring variety in the team. He is in good form in national league. He could be a remedy for our long tail as well. In this pitch Shakib, Riad and Nasir would be enough as a spinning option. Also, Mominul should not be picked at the first place instead Imrul/Nayeem/LKD could be better option.fficeffice" />
Look at this line up below:
Tamim
Sarkar
Riad
Rahim
Shakib
Shabbir
Nasir
Zia
Mashrafee
Rubel
Taskin
Old March 12, 2015, 07:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana Melb
Aminul Islam Bulbul was screaming for Bangler Hulk. He would be an excellent fit for the team whereas 2SLAs are seating and doing nothing atm (except England match). He could easily bring variety in the team. He is in good form in national league. He could be a remedy for our long tail as well. In this pitch Shakib, Riad and Nasir would be enough as a spinning option. Also, Mominul should not be picked at the first place instead Imrul/Nayeem/LKD could be better option.fficeffice" />
Look at this line up below:
Tamim
*Sarkar*
Riad
Rahim
Shakib
Shabbir
Nasir
*Zia*
*Mashrafee*
*Rubel*
*Taskin*
5 seamers in one team...
Old March 12, 2015, 07:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
5 seamers in one team...
Forget about SS.. he is not bowling any way
Old March 12, 2015, 07:44 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

From the thread title, i assumed Zia broke up with the thread opener
Old March 13, 2015, 08:10 AM
Cricket Legend

No thanks.
Old March 13, 2015, 08:19 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Zia = our Corey Anderson.

However, was he in the standby list? If not, all this talk of 'bring back Shafiul' or 'why didn't abul go' or 'lets fly Zia there' have no MERIT.

How come you guys don't know this?