facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 10, 2018, 03:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340
Default Computer Programming and Technology in general.

So what computer languages, do you BCites know. I'll go first and state the ones I know

Java(Know this language very well. like the functionality and code once run anywhere design, OOP is very useful).

C probably the most grittiest language on the list, was introduced to programming with it back in high school.

C++, just like Java, useful for developing .NET based applications, adds OOP unlike its older brother C.

Python, Go, Ruby, I use quite frequently.

The main IDE, I use is IntelliJ and CLion.

Old September 10, 2018, 05:42 AM
Cricket Savant

In high school and college, took C++, Java. Obviously one learns html as one goes along. Tried to make an android app for Cricket Curiosities and had to learn the necessary sh... Imagine my delight when I first created that App Icon on my own mobile phone... MY OWN Mobile phone guys!! I felt like Tom Hanks in Castaway creating fire.

I think Perl is one one should learn. Assembly I hear was used in Guantano Bay.

So you are pretty hardcore Dinraat to know so many. Since I never caught on to the allure of programming, all of my skills are rusty AF.

The only good thing was when I wanted to make an app for Cricket Curiosities, all the s... came screaming back from high school/college and I could pick things up relatively less painfully.

Had to learn all those stupid DOS commands as young (13 or 15) when not playing Prince of Persia 1.

Also what language we need for arduno and s.. SQL? LISP? Whatever, I think that language will come real handy not only for robots but controlling mechanics in general. I mean that's the kinda stuff I wanna do where you gadget yourself up and your entire home with Smart Home vibes. And NO. Echo doesn't cut it.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles

Last edited by Zeeshan; September 10, 2018 at 10:16 AM..
Old September 10, 2018, 06:05 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Haskell - could not master it yet
Old September 10, 2018, 06:05 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mash, Mushy

Languages aren't important man. A good Software Developer can pick up a language/ framework in a month or two. The fundamental concepts of CS or your problem solving skills is what is more important, and can't be just taught overnight

I get asked by my non-CSE friends all the time stuff like "How many programming languages do you know?" which really annoys me. It's my second most asked question, the first being dude can you fix my printer (or other help desk tech support questions, coz you are good with computers right?).

Code monkeys are cheap and get paid in peanuts. But if you are a top dev, you won't simply be sought after by big Silicon Valley companies, you'll be faught over. That being said, nope I'm not quite there yet. I'm fresh out of uni with a decent job and still learning.

Last edited by anon4567; September 10, 2018 at 06:37 AM..
Old September 10, 2018, 09:29 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

BASIC. Do you know what that is? Most likely you wouldn't know so allow me. "Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code"
FORTRAN (Formula Translation)
COBOL (Common Business Oriented Language) Loved it.
Old September 10, 2018, 09:53 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Java, C#, Ruby and C++. Swift and Objective C is what I am trying to learn now
Old September 10, 2018, 10:12 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Haskell - could not master it yet
You should've curried someone for favor.

Ouh-kay. My apologies.

Old September 10, 2018, 10:13 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
BASIC. Do you know what that is? Most likely you wouldn't know so allow me. "Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code"
FORTRAN (Formula Translation)
COBOL (Common Business Oriented Language) Loved it.
To dada apnee ki shei Pascal Fortran er jugey stuck achen naki....

I remember when not wasting time on Pascal or playing that Car Racing pink slip game in South Africa, we had to learn to do those stupid Turtle s..

Apparently this was Logo?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo_(...mming_language)

Programming also might help for CAD, Autodesk, Blender and if not hacking airplanes.

Old September 10, 2018, 10:35 AM
Cricket Sage

Still waiting for someone to name something I did not get my hands dirty with....
Old September 10, 2018, 11:02 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Still waiting for someone to name something I did not get my hands dirty with....
(I know this is not a language)
I loved DOS commands, even now sometimes use it. That is 16 bit. Can't go beyond that.

Them Floppy drives and 5 1/4" flimsy floppy disks. BEST OPERATING SYSTEM to me. I knew where every file was. Then came Windows 3.11 Workgroup (On 3 1/2' floppies). It was still good. It worked under DEC ALPHA and later with VAX/VMS (OpenVMS) in the network. The Y2K patches did me in. At the end it worked but my pager continuously went off and so changed profession in 2001. So for Zee: No more managing systems, networks, and stupid people (users).
Old September 10, 2018, 11:49 AM
Cricket Savant

Dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyum boi!!! TE has a dark side huh? ^^^ LOL wouldn't be surprised if he goes Defcon on some people.

Old September 10, 2018, 12:02 PM
Cricket Sage

I am talking about the time when Dhaka was really a cool city. Dhanmondi was really a posh place to hang around. Azimpur was one of the finest gorgeous areas not only among Asia, of the whole world .

Right where there is a Police Box in Science Lab, behind stood a large building with a big blue sine saying CONCEPT. You go a little further and opposite to where now Dhaka City College is was a stairway going up to a tiny white rooftop type office proudly having the board saying hardy6.

Teenagers will gather round in Road 2/3/4 and start break dancing with Beat It or some other contemporary music. I am a user/gamer and yes even coder from that age so no, still .
Old September 10, 2018, 01:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon4567
But if you are a top dev, you won't simply be sought after by big Silicon Valley companies, you'll be faught over. That being said, nope I'm not quite there yet. I'm fresh out of uni with a decent job and still learning.
finally somebody here who knows what he is talking about.
Old September 10, 2018, 01:31 PM
Cricket Savant

hmmmph....shunlam...khub hardy boyz khelecho tai to

I can't distinguish the blur between reality, me and shingara.

Old September 10, 2018, 01:32 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
finally somebody here who knows what he is talking about.
Bruh you make it sound like a revelation.

Tayle to amio bolte pari: "Be ridiculously good that they can't ignore you/" shotsfired

Old September 10, 2018, 02:42 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

I need to learn some coding/programming. But thing is I just don't enjoy learning about it at all. I had to force myself to learn some basic SQL. Only to manipulate big data here and there. Nothing too advanced.

what would be a good language to learn for a novice? anything related to handling large sets of data and some analysis.
Old September 10, 2018, 02:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Tayle to amio bolte pari: "Be ridiculously good that they can't ignore you/" shotsfired
there is reality and then there is wishful thinking.

Even though the working world eventually weeds out the sub par, in my view there is no reason for anyone with the same degree not be able to aim for topper bracket. Same sets of skills if u think about it.

Quote:
Languages aren't important man. A good Software Developer can pick up a language/ framework in a month or two. The fundamental concepts of CS or your problem solving skills is what is more important, and can't be just taught overnight
anon wrote this, it may be obvious but he wrote it. no one else. none of the pretentious ones here who knows very little but think knows a lot.

anyone who writes this way - gets the concept. And understand what it takes. Not someone crying over A+ or A- and their GPA weight on their work search. It's the mentality that gives it way.
Old September 10, 2018, 02:56 PM
Cricket Legend

I know basics of C++, MySQL, PHP . But they are useless knowledge. These days of internets, language evolve and advance in days. Languages become obsolete in matter of months. If the fundemental concepts and understanding is not there - it's time waste learninga new language to bolster resume imo.

You become good developer via work. not via books. that's why after reading anons post, i thought he is in the right system, right midnset and he talks like one too.
Old September 10, 2018, 02:57 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Not someone crying over A+ or A- and their GPA weight on their work search.
I am standing behind it like a male cop against a female passenger during routine strip search.

Old September 10, 2018, 03:00 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
I know basics of C++, MySQL, PHP . But they are useless knowledge. These days of internets, language evolve and advance in days. Languages become obsolete in matter of months. If the fundemental concepts and understanding is not there - it's time waste learninga new language to bolster resume imo.
AI are eating us alive. Pretty soon a la Discovery Channel or some National Ge sh.. who would you rather want? A robot which has performed surgery 1000000 times with perfect record or a cardiac surgeon who barely made it to work without his morning latte. My elaboration, thank you very much.

Similarly, like machine language such as Assembly who tf actually takes out his f---in Napier's bones and go "Oh hould on aye minit, I might just figure out log f you minus 9".

Wolfram Alpha was another improvement. Now pretty much Google can generate any code at will. F'instance I needed one for Spoiler Alert for movie thread.

So in complete agreement. Similarly the reason why people in future will learn this..sigh.. dead languages not out of any necessity but rather out of curiosity.

Cuz Stem's takin over yo.

Edit: Only part I will disagree about the utility part. I mean why would it be useless? Knowledge is knowledge. Yeah, ma inner geek. You got me. Hooray. But the point being just like some stupid Pliny the Elder (NOT the mormon) said you can pretty much glean something from every frikkin book, nothing is waste. Personally universe or Reality is too intelligent for it to be 'waste'. Self-aware.

So when you exert yourself to the grueling task of learning a new language pretty much some dormant dumbass part of the brain activates and makes you be aware of life and thus appreciate more. Ce ca. Knowledge gratia knowledge.

Double Edit: (Ya goin hard today..lol) F'instance a year ago I maxed out on my card (Don't ask. Incel here. Figure out the dots.) So what happened is I prolly had 20 bucks left and the book was 26. So what happened was the computer cut-off 20 automatically and I needed to pay 6. I had no cash on me. (Surprise!) So he manually overrode it and returned my money and I purchased that sh with my Equalizer black card. Baaaah!

Point being such curve balls will remain and computer won't be smart enough to process all multivariable data at once howsoffinever fuzzy.

Triple Edit: (yah boiii thuggin today) Yesterday at Walmart I sat with my momma in the backseat line and just frikkin counted it man. A sweet old Alabama lady with Southern hospitality and strawberry cheesecake vs a machine. LOL! The robot absolutely annihilated her. ANNIHILATED. I mean by the time the machine was done with FIVE he hardly broke a bead while my momma in her southern twang asked her if she uses Miracle-Gro for her posies.

And then she died. The cashier.

By thee bye, Von Neumann teumann er bhokto ra koi... oder ko to dekchi na

Old September 10, 2018, 03:11 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
If the fundemental concepts and understanding is not there - it's time waste learninga new language to bolster resume imo.
This is very true. I struggled a lot every time I picked up a new language because I didnt have CS background. This shows how important it is to have the fundamentals right. Still trying to get my fundamentals right. There is no short cut in this
Old September 10, 2018, 04:53 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mash, Mushy

Quote:
You become good developer via work. not via books. that's why after reading anons post, i thought he is in the right system, right midnset and he talks like one too.
I found this blog post interesting.

Quote:
Don't Call Yourself A Programmer, And Other Career Advice
Patrick McKenzie
https://www.kalzumeus.com/2011/10/28...-a-programmer/

A bit long, but a very good read, regardless. I don't completely agree with/ find relevant a couple of points he makes, but to me this was great career advice.
Old September 10, 2018, 10:51 PM
Cricket Savant

Quadruple Edit: So I was at Walmart. The lady charged 1.01 for a water. I had to search for a penny and she waived it. I quipped with my natural Southern charm: This is why you humans will always have edge over machine. Yayy humans. imho a better thread would be "Man vs Machine"

jau imho er arale ekta alga (NOT algaea and cyanobacteria and sh..) matobbori kore dilam

Old September 11, 2018, 02:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

First time I've seen someone use the phrase "topper" bracket. Holy hell!
Old September 11, 2018, 02:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
I need to learn some coding/programming. But thing is I just don't enjoy learning about it at all. I had to force myself to learn some basic SQL. Only to manipulate big data here and there. Nothing too advanced.

what would be a good language to learn for a novice? anything related to handling large sets of data and some analysis.
Python.