facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 3, 2007, 02:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan
Default Hasina decided to pull out of election

I saw the news in Google News.

Bangladesh's grand alliance not to go to polls: leader

Bangladesh's grand electoral alliance led by Awami League (AL) will not join the national election, announced grand alliance leader and AL chief Sheikh Hasina on Wednesday, saying conducive environment for a clean and credible election was not yet created by the caretaker government.

The announcement was made at a press conference attended by alliance leaders including former military dictator and Jatiya Party (JP) Chairman Hussain Muhammad Ershad at the last day for withdrawal of nominations set by the Election Commission (EC) and 20 days away from the planned elections.

Hasina said, "We will not join the election as environment for a free and fair election was not created yet by Iajuddin Ahmed. Keeping Iajuddin as the head of the caretaker government, no election will be clean. We will not go to the polls so long Iajuddin holds the post of chief advisor of caretaker government."

"In the voter list, AL voters were absent. Unless the caretaker government corrects the voter list, we cannot go to the polls," Hasina said.

Hasina said her alliance has already asked its candidates, who have submitted nomination paper to withdraw their candidature by Wednesday.

Reuters
Old January 3, 2007, 03:34 AM
Cricket Legend

billah bhai, calm down. Otherwise Chinaman will be here soon.
Old January 3, 2007, 03:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
billah bhai, calm down. Otherwise Chinaman will be here soon.

Well, since you mentioned Chinaman I was contemplating opening a thread about him closing that other thread with the news about BAL and the Fatwabaz's MOU. Chinaman bhai take this as an open letter from me.

You closed that thread saying people are trying to show one single party in bad light and trying to use the situation into giving another party some leverage for the election. That thread was discussing a MOU that took place which is a fact. How can discussing about a fact give leverage to one party and show the other party in a bad light? It's not like someone was making up stories and using that as a propaganda against one single party. This MOU happend in real life and even if we are not allowed to talk about this in BC it will show one party in bad light (ppl read newspapers you know). I felt your closing of that thread stunk of your own preference for a party and was not objective. I saw absolutely no valid reason for closing that thread. It was a biased decision on your part as there was no malicious untruthful stories being discussed on that thread. Yes, people were bashing one party but the reason was there for everyone to see( the MOU). Also you said that Banglacricket maintains political nuetrality and the posts in that thread were obviously(to you) not politically nuetral. My question is does all the posts in Banglacricket represent Banglacricket's thoughts? Isnt it supposed be like Banglacricket does not endorse the views on the posts and they are all individual opinions. ( not only this political but all posts in Banglacricket) If not then you guys have a weird policy which needs to be given another round of thoughts.

On a more lighter note, russell peters would say to you in this case:" Be a man do the right thing". The right thing would be to reopen that thread for discussion.

Last edited by layperson; January 3, 2007 at 03:53 AM..
Old January 3, 2007, 04:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
On a more lighter note, russell peters would say to you in this case:" Be a man do the right thing". The right thing would be to reopen that thread for discussion.
I think you need to stick to cricket, Anthony in cricket forums, tap-some-bong in FC.
Old January 3, 2007, 04:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
I think you need to stick to cricket, Anthony in cricket forums, tap-some-bong in FC.

Do you think what I say in FC is rubbish? Dare I ask, what your reply is to my reasons, for the closing of the thread being unreasonable?
Old January 3, 2007, 07:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Do you think what I say in FC is rubbish? Dare I ask, what your reply is to my reasons, for the closing of the thread being unreasonable?
Do you think you know more than the admins on what threads to close in FC?
Old January 4, 2007, 03:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Couldn't help but react to this indecent uncivil post. The standard up to which you hold the members, needs to be held by yourselves as well. Very disappointing response from you.
Old January 4, 2007, 09:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron
Couldn't help but react to this indecent uncivil post. The standard up to which you hold the members, needs to be held by yourselves as well. Very disappointing response from you.
That was not an "indecent", nor an "uncivil" post.

It was a reference to a skit of Russell Peters, the same comedian the poster alluded to in his post that I replied to. And he totally knows what I am talking about.

I could go on and say the telling the moderator to "be a man, do the right thing" and open up a closed thread in FC, even after fully knowing the board rules which has been on display as sticky, which is what the poster did, was provoking and offensive to the moderators, but that's just silly. The poster was being silly and he knows it.

Enough of the soap opera.
Old January 3, 2007, 07:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Well, since you mentioned Chinaman I was contemplating opening a thread about him closing that other thread with the news about BAL and the Fatwabaz's MOU. Chinaman bhai take this as an open letter from me.

You closed that thread saying people are trying to show one single party in bad light and trying to use the situation into giving another party some leverage for the election. That thread was discussing a MOU that took place which is a fact. How can discussing about a fact give leverage to one party and show the other party in a bad light? It's not like someone was making up stories and using that as a propaganda against one single party. This MOU happend in real life and even if we are not allowed to talk about this in BC it will show one party in bad light (ppl read newspapers you know). I felt your closing of that thread stunk of your own preference for a party and was not objective. I saw absolutely no valid reason for closing that thread. It was a biased decision on your part as there was no malicious untruthful stories being discussed on that thread. Yes, people were bashing one party but the reason was there for everyone to see( the MOU). Also you said that Banglacricket maintains political nuetrality and the posts in that thread were obviously(to you) not politically nuetral. My question is does all the posts in Banglacricket represent Banglacricket's thoughts? Isnt it supposed be like Banglacricket does not endorse the views on the posts and they are all individual opinions. ( not only this political but all posts in Banglacricket) If not then you guys have a weird policy which needs to be given another round of thoughts.

I hate anti semitism and I must admit that such a MOU with a group of extremist means that AL will not have my vote for Sure. However I have serious reasons to believe that u r a pro BNP. All ur posts reflects that view and none of ur views are ever neutral. Referring AL and BAL shows ur poor taste and so is the case with some other members. Tarique Zia is undoubtedly the unofficial richest man in BD, why don u ever post anything on that regard, or is it right on the part of Begum Zia to celebrate Bday(that too with cakes as big as 50 pounds, in a country where people die of hunger) on the day when Mujib's family was murdered , remember Mujib actually saved her merriage with Mr Ziaur rahman. You talk abt facts, these are facts that u see every day(tarique zia) and every year( Bday celebration) . But not a word from ur mouth.

Is chinaman doing the right thing, I bet he is. U guys complain abt the neutrality of DS. Just look at the news papers after the MOU was sighned. It was on the headline for 3 consecutive days and they all critisized Al. Also drew cartoons of Hasina. Did u write nething regarding that... no u havent. Do the right thing urself, don post nemore of ur so called unbiased political posts.
Old January 3, 2007, 07:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
I hate anti semitism and I must admit that such a MOU with a group of extremist means that AL will not have my vote for Sure. However I have serious reasons to believe that u r a pro BNP. All ur posts reflects that view and none of ur views are ever neutral. Referring AL and BAL shows ur poor taste and so is the case with some other members. Tarique Zia is undoubtedly the unofficial richest man in BD, why don u ever post anything on that regard, or is it right on the part of Begum Zia to celebrate Bday(that too with cakes as big as 50 pounds, in a country where people die of hunger) on the day when Mujib's family was murdered , remember Mujib actually saved her merriage with Mr Ziaur rahman. You talk abt facts, these are facts that u see every day(tarique zia) and every year( Bday celebration) . But not a word from ur mouth.

Is chinaman doing the right thing, I bet he is. U guys complain abt the neutrality of DS. Just look at the news papers after the MOU was sighned. It was on the headline for 3 consecutive days and they all critisized Al. Also drew cartoons of Hasina. Did u write nething regarding that... no u havent. Do the right thing urself, don post nemore of ur so called unbiased political posts.
Haha. Brother if you read my posts properly you would know that I always always said the BNP is the most corrupt party in Bangladesh. How come you overlooked that one? I am nuetral in the sense I do not support any party in Bangladesh. If I did I have the b*** to admit it, believe me when I say this. You want to hear about BNP corruption. Ok, Tarique Zia was so effing corrupt this term that he dint even let the CNG walas go. For every CNG autorickshaw he took allegedly 1 lakhs from each. Thats how low he stooped. I hate BNP's corrupt nature too, the thing you conveniently overlook about my posts. The only thing is I hate BAL's violence more than the corruption of BNP. Doesnt mean I support BNP because I hate them any less !!!!! It is sad that you think of me as a partisan person based on my posts. But it is not true and the truth wont change no matter what you or someone else thinks.

Ohh about DS, yes they are leaned towards AL but they are progressive minded supporters. They are not blind supporters like some others. I have no problem with DS being an AL supporter because they are not brainwashed nor are they blinded by support. They do criticize AL's actions but sometimes their writings give away their pro AL stance. For me I have been reading DS since I was in grade 6. Thats the only newspaper from Bangladesh I read and still read daily. My hatred for AL has also formed from reading about the misrule they unleashed, from the DS reports.

Last edited by layperson; January 3, 2007 at 07:29 PM..
Old January 3, 2007, 07:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Haha. Brother if you read my posts properly you would know that I always always said the BNP is the most corrupt party in Bangladesh. How come you overlooked that one? I am nuetral in the sense I do not support any party in Bangladesh. If I did I have the b*** to admit it, believe me when I say this. You want to hear about BNP corruption. Ok, Tarique Zia was so effing corrupt this term that he dint even let the CNG walas go. For every CNG autorickshaw he took allegedly 1 lakhs from each. Thats how low he stooped. I hate BNP's corrupt nature too, the thing you conveniently overlook about my posts. The only thing is I hate BAL's violence more than the corruption of BNP. Doesnt mean I support BNP because I hate them any less !!!!! It is sad that you think of me as a partisan person based on my posts. But it is not true and the truth wont change no matter what you or someone else thinks.

Ohh about DS, yes they are leaned towards AL but they are progressive minded supporters. They are not blind supporters like some others. I have no problem with DS being an AL supporter because they are not brainwashed nor are they blinded by support. They do criticize AL's actions but sometimes their writings give away their pro AL stance. For me I have been reading DS since I was in grade 6. Thats the only newspaper from Bangladesh I read and still read daily. My hatred for AL has also formed from reading about the misrule they unleashed, from the DS reports.
I seriously got no clue abt when u critisized BNP. If u did than I am happy that u atleast don have the balls to deny facts. And since u brought the case for violence. The violence was worst for the first few months after BNP came to power in 2001. If u have time enough to look though the archives u will find that there were more political killing and general Killings during the first few months of BNP rule after 2001 than at any stage after the liberation of BD ( In most cases if not all AL men were slughtered by BNP counterparts) . BNP was also known to harbor some of the worst terrorists like Kajal. Not saying that Al were angels but pls don say that AL is a group that embraces violence more than BNP. Yes the gruesome images on NTV will forever be chanted by BNP men but pls for once try counting the number of dead bodies that resulted due to the haterd that each party posess towards the others. U will see that BNP is no different. AL burned cars so did BNP. People don burn busses and cars when they are in power so pls don be so short sighted. By the way corruption and violence are both equally bad for a countries economy. Actually corruption can have much worse impacts. neways i'll sign off...
Old January 3, 2007, 03:35 AM
Cricket Legend

This is bad indeed !!!!!!! This election would in essence now be a one party election if you can call it an election if the Alliance dont go for polls. I dont think such an election will give us a credible government. Please note that the words "credible" and "one party election" are relative to the Bangladeshi political situation and far far away from the dictionary meaning of the words.

As I have been shouting and hoping for.... the only solution for BD is the rise of a third party with balls not one that would join any Alliance.
Old January 3, 2007, 04:47 AM
Banned

Well, I'm glad at least a few more members have a clear view of the kind of discussion board we are a part of. As for Chinaman, I've experienced all of them already, with disappearing threads, and posts, all of it...

Last edited by chinaman; January 3, 2007 at 09:43 AM..
Old January 3, 2007, 04:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Back to the topic, what does it mean if the opposition pulls out of election? Does BNP automatically comes to power again (given minority parties wont stand a chance)??

If thats the case then I hope BAL does it every election. :p
Old January 3, 2007, 04:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Back to the topic, what does it mean if the opposition pulls out of election? Does BNP automatically comes to power again (given minority parties wont stand a chance)??

Then whats the point of democracy? We might as well give the country to BNP then. The best part would be BAL not being in power but the worsst part which is far heavier than he best part is democracy ( whatever little of it we have) will vanish from BD politics.
Old January 3, 2007, 09:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

It would probably mean this sad little experiment in democracy has blown up in our face. As disgusted as I am at the two mafia families controlling the country, they are the only choices we have and if there's to be democracy, there'll have to be elections.

Barring any military coup or some sort of armed revolution we are stuck with either on of the families.
Old January 3, 2007, 11:03 AM
Retired BC Admin

Quote:
... During the BC Canada meet I got to know of some more stuff about AL right after 1972 and they only made my hatred towards this party grow manifold.
Need I say more to reply your open letter? I'll just quote Arnab's reply here (Could not have said any better myself):

Quote:
... You can single out AL on this one, but that just means you're with the other kind of bhondos.
Old January 3, 2007, 04:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman
Need I say more to reply your open letter? I'll just quote Arnab's reply here (Could not have said any better myself):
First and foremost, since you quoted Arnab, just because people were singling out BAL does not mean they are with the other kind of BHondos. That is just generalizing to make life much easier saying if you are not with BAl then you are with the other party. There are other options you know. I can speak for myself when I say I am not with any. If I was supporting a party I would acknowledge it openly. I not the one to hide things. I say what is on my mind. Finally it was a thread on a deal between BAL and Khelafot so naturally people would be discussing about BAL and not the other parties. How is that singling out BAL? So if some other party made a dubious deal and people were discussing them you would close that too saying one party is being singled out?

You quoted one line from my post. Well that was my personal opinion and I said "my hatred towards the party". HOw does this show that I was using the thread as a means to put BAL in bad light? I did not say that everyone should start hating them just because I do !!! I also did not say anything to imply that everyone hates them either. The deal was about an issue that itself put the party in a bad light. Discussing that doesnt mean people are using that as a propaganda. I for one am not a supporter of any political party in Bangladesh. Nothing you or anyone else says can change this. "Propaganda" is usually using some incident and adding colour to it to make it look worse. The deal itself made the party look as bad as it could and it was a fact. There was no propaganda involved there. This is where I think your personal preference might have come in for closing the thread.
Old January 3, 2007, 12:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
It would probably mean this sad little experiment in democracy has blown up in our face. As disgusted as I am at the two mafia families controlling the country, they are the only choices we have and if there's to be democracy, there'll have to be elections.

Barring any military coup or some sort of armed revolution we are stuck with either on of the families.
Couldn't have said it better. "Mafia" is the correct word, but don't think that the next family who could replace them won't be mafia either.
Old January 3, 2007, 12:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper

I disagree. The reason Ershad has been charged now, after so long, is because he is with the opposition now. He has a growing popularity...and if he alone faces BNP, I won't be surprised if he gets 45% seats.

But after all these discussions...we're back at square one. A few (not two) mafia groups controlling the country. So in such a case, the last option is a military coup. And to be honest with you, only a military coup can save this country at this moment. Yes there'll be mass murder...but IMO, there's not gonna be much of a difference than right now. And of course, mass murders will involve both good and bad people, with a major chunk of it being the bad ones. I might sound like an idiot promoting atrocities...but trust me, this is the only possibility currently.
Old January 3, 2007, 04:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
I disagree. The reason Ershad has been charged now, after so long, is because he is with the opposition now. He has a growing popularity...and if he alone faces BNP, I won't be surprised if he gets 45% seats.

But after all these discussions...we're back at square one. A few (not two) mafia groups controlling the country. So in such a case, the last option is a military coup. And to be honest with you, only a military coup can save this country at this moment. Yes there'll be mass murder...but IMO, there's not gonna be much of a difference than right now. And of course, mass murders will involve both good and bad people, with a major chunk of it being the bad ones. I might sound like an idiot promoting atrocities...but trust me, this is the only possibility currently.

Don't want to get into a chicken or egg argument but the point is this stalemate/impasse is the doing of politicians, from both parties. There has to be accountibility or we're going nowhere. If this accountability can only be achieved through a military coup then be it.

I'll give you an exapmle of what I mean by accountability-if one party calls for hartal and because of that there's loss of human life then they (party bosses) should be held accountable or if there's financial loss the same should apply (for any party). Unfortunately our political culture has become such as that we've come to accept these losses as more or less 'collatoral damage'. This is sad. But what I see is that whims and egos taking over instead of real politicall ideas or agendas. This is criminal.
Old January 3, 2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

I don't think Ershad will ever get 45% of the seats in Bangladesh, unless one of the parties manipulates the elections.
Old January 3, 2007, 12:52 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
I don't think Ershad will ever get 45% of the seats in Bangladesh, unless one of the parties manipulates the elections.
Well we'll never know unless he can go on election. But from what it seems, even an average person understands that these two ladies are of no help anymore. So I won't be surprised if he gets 40 to 45% of the votes.
Old January 3, 2007, 01:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Well we'll never know unless he can go on election. But from what it seems, even an average person understands that these two ladies are of no help anymore. So I won't be surprised if he gets 40 to 45% of the votes.
That's just ridiculous. You must be really detached from BD.
Old January 3, 2007, 02:20 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
That's just ridiculous. You must be really detached from BD.
Although I want to resist myself from getting into a debate here, which part do you find ridiculous?

And detached from BD? I don't think so.