facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 1, 2016, 08:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop

Seems like they're still here. I don't want to be very un_Banglai and kick them out quickly. But I just want them to get out safely and be BCCI's responsibility.
haha spoken.like.a true Bengali ...

Old November 1, 2016, 09:19 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ I'm having an anxiety attack over their stay. It's not just any other visits. Our whole freaking future depends on it. the sooner they get out of our hair without any BS, the better. Which is that's very un_Bengali thing to say because Banglais love to be over welcoming hosts, specially to foreigners.

Now England is being a typical Bengali by overstaying their welcome lol

But seriously though, can't say this enough time, thank you so much for coming. ****! what a series!
Old November 1, 2016, 11:12 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Parting words from Haseeb:

Old November 1, 2016, 11:15 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Old November 1, 2016, 11:16 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

^^Bairstow, my favorite English player...Liked the last sentence
Old November 1, 2016, 11:38 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
lets take away DRS in IND vs ENG series. I am sure India wont have any problem with that. When the howlers keep on coming to ENG's way then we'll see what Mr. Heffer says
Lol funny because DRS favoured England more than us throughout this whole tour
Old November 2, 2016, 12:16 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib,Tamim,Anamul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
England still in BD atm. When do they leave? Are the security still as tight?

Edit:

Seems like they're still here. I don't want to be very un_Banglai and kick them out quickly. But I just want them to get out safely and be BCCI's responsibility.

England to leave on afternoon.
Old November 2, 2016, 12:58 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Old November 2, 2016, 10:34 AM
BD-SL 2017 - LOI Winner

“I’ve been working in international sport for 20 years and what you’ve seen here, and the government input, is as good as I’ve ever seen,†said Dickason. “It’s certainly the gold standard at the moment.

England thank sensational Bangladesh
Old November 2, 2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
^^Bairstow, my favorite English player...Liked the last sentence
I like the English team - they are aggressive on the field but very humble and polite off the field - a fantastic cricket team overall and will do well in the future IMHO.

Thanks to the English team for visiting us and we hope to see you again, soon
Old November 2, 2016, 05:44 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ Ditto. Just because they all play very hard on the field, they don't let that cross once they step off. All very likeable chaps off the field. Thanks for the memories England Cricket.

(Funny that an Australia gave the tour the green light. Fun facts of life.)
Old November 2, 2016, 07:29 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Default Best of the Series

"thanq, comeagan."

Last edited by Dilscoop; November 3, 2016 at 04:53 PM..
Old November 2, 2016, 09:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Good read..
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-dickason-tour
Old November 3, 2016, 04:31 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Something is effed up with BC-Dilscoop account. My tweets don't show up on other people's mention. (I tested it by tweeting at my other real account. Someone had hacked it. And ever since they unlocked it, it's been ****ed!) I request those of you with twitter account RT it and pass it on to show the love from our fans!
Old November 3, 2016, 11:19 AM

Thanks Dilu. RT already
Old November 3, 2016, 04:03 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ thank you! Someone tag @Banglacricket and have the account quote it, since I can't, mine won't show up on BC's mention. That'd be the ultimate "official" Fan-Thank You. Nadim?

Who's in charge of that account? Call them!

Last edited by Dilscoop; November 3, 2016 at 04:53 PM..
Old November 12, 2016, 05:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

A tour report from a Barmy Army fan. Labels us as the friendliest people!

Barmy Army Forum

'' My Tour Summary â€" well you asked for it be warned it’s a long rambling one, I’m not one for structured essays.

Me and my mate thoroughly enjoyed it. Neither of us had been to Bangladesh before but I’d been to India so had some idea of what to expect. First things first â€" the visa on arrival wasn’t much of a problem, probably took 45 mins but I was pissed and filling forms in correctly always takes longer when you’re pissed, my mate was through much quicker. Taxi (1000 taka) down to the Grand Prince Hotel where we got static off the reception staff. We can’t stay there because they don’t have the necessary security to allow them to take western guests. They were very helpful and friendly but someone fked up either they didn’t tell booking.com or booking.com didn’t tell us. So this was a pain as I had been hoping to get a few hours’ kip before the game. They kindly gave us free breakfast and organised a taxi to another hotel (cheaper but twin rooms instead of separate) up near the airport. By the time we got booked in it was about 9:30, with kick off at 10:00. So we rushed in and showered and changed and then taxi to the cricket where we arrived about 30 mins after the start. IT was the usual nonsense regards buying a ticket go to some other ground or bank or something, fk that we bought tickets off a tout for 1000 taka each (face value actually, but obv he paid much less than that if anything). This got us into to the media end â€" the only English fans we met were ex-pats, so we didn’t meet barmy army fans until the evening (more of that later). 2nd floor smoking area you just saw all the TMS and Sky boys walking around, was regularly smoking with Charles Dagnall, I’m not one for getting chatting to celebs though, just borrowed his lighter. The TMS commentary box was free to stand behind and watch them at work as they kept the door open. First person we spoke to inside the ground was Mike Atherton. Have to confess I slept quite a lot of that first day but did manage to blag my way into the journo/media people’s canteen where I wasn’t supposed to be and got a nice curry gratis. The rest of the food available was horrendous â€" some dodgy Mexican (yes Mexican, in Bangladesh ffs) burgers which took ages for them to make and tasted crap. To drink you could get a plastic cup of sevenup for 30taka, bottles of water didn’t turn up until lunch. Which seemed ridiculous to me, but that’s the subcontinent for you â€" utter chaos. The ground was alright I suppose half modern half a characterful hotchpotch. Spent a lot of time in the aircon bit above the sightscreen as there were times when it was fkin hot, but still went outside quite a lot.

Anyway at some point during the first day we both realised we didn’t know the name of the hotel. WE thought it was “Sea Shore†or something. At the end of the day we were in deep lumber, how the fk would we get back. Started chatting to some expats who turned out to work for the high commission and were the most helpful people you could imagine. They took us in their armed guarded minibuses back to their embassy club gave us free beer, free tickets for the rest of the match and after a bit of work with some good wifi we found the name of our hotel…. “Sea Shellâ€Â. They then got their driver and two of the consular staff to take us there â€" how kind. Which was such a relief. We also got given the address of the Bagha club.

We spent every evening at the Bagha club after that, spending about £40-£50 a night. Loved that place, I know it isn’t authentic Bangla(Though I did make one short trip to the dingy la diplomat bar down the road, and it wasn’t as desperate as I expected it to be) but you could get beer and English food and aircon and I could chat with friendly English/Irish/Kiwi people and I’m afraid that was all I wanted after a day in the Dhaka traffic.

Nothing could prepare me for the traffic . And the driving. Have only talked about taxis so far but after the first day we mainly got CNGs which were a great experience. Got to say the smog was less than in India as a result of these. One journey going to the Bagha from the cricket a whopping great big cow came galloping down the road towards us, thought we were in deep doo doo but the CNG driver/matador swerved at the last minute â€" honestly thought we were gonna get horizontalized. We went to old Dhaka one day just to see it and people were saying how the traffic was worse down there. I didn’t really see how it could be any worse but it fkin was. Fk me it was mental down there. We did a tour too round Old Dhaka one day saw a few sights (Pink Palace, Armenian Church). Alright I suppose but I’m not a great sightseer. Afters we went on a river cruise which was the highlight, saw river dolphins and all the kids messing about in the water and people fishing and waving to the two pale skinned baldies on the boat. Very relaxing after 6 days of Dhaka traffic. We played Russian roulette with our bowels eating some local hubbly bubbly down in Old Dhaka but we got away with it. The curry was alright out there but my thoughts are the same as in India â€" I prefer English curry.

As for the cricket, well I barely cared that we lost, it was great fun with the Bangla fans we were sat near the busiest stand and through a razor wire fence I got involved in some good natured baiting whilst our wickets tumbled on the last day, and so they would all specifically come over to me to shout and cheer and jeer as each wicket went down. I got a real good video of it on my facebook. Loved that and good luck to them, they obviously deserved it. I don’t know if the papers in England were whinging or saying it was embarrassing or stuff, it didn’t feel that way to me in the stadium, was just great to see cricketing history. Will never forget the Shakib salute to send off Stokes, great fun. Next up for me probably Sri Lanka in 2 years’ time, with the weak pound Aus and NZ are just going to be too expensive.

Best thing about the place is of course the people â€" they made this trip. With the Indonesians they are in joint first place for the friendliest people I’ve met. I’ve a great video of my mate getting bombarded by kids taking selfies with him at the cricket â€" he loved his 15 minutes of fame for sure. The crowd got so big security had to lead us away through a separate exit. I never saw a white person outside the cricket or hotels or Bagha club â€" so no surprise that the kids (when we went to old Dhaka) just openly stared, pointed and sometime laughed at us. Great people would love to go again. (And I never had to use a non-western toilet either, what a result, always dreaded that in India.)

EDIT: Also should mention they were less likely to con you out there than in India I found. We never had to haggle with the CNG drivers - they came up with a fair price straight up and we agreed. One guy even insisted on using the meter which was really cheap. In India the first price the taxi driver gave was often 3 times what I knew the price should be. Some of the cycle rickshaws chanced their arm a bit though to be fair.''
Old November 12, 2016, 05:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

A tour report from a Barmy Army fan. Labels us as the friendliest people!

Barmy Army Forum

'' My Tour Summary â€" well you asked for it be warned it’s a long rambling one, I’m not one for structured essays.

Me and my mate thoroughly enjoyed it. Neither of us had been to Bangladesh before but I’d been to India so had some idea of what to expect. First things first â€" the visa on arrival wasn’t much of a problem, probably took 45 mins but I was pissed and filling forms in correctly always takes longer when you’re pissed, my mate was through much quicker. Taxi (1000 taka) down to the Grand Prince Hotel where we got static off the reception staff. We can’t stay there because they don’t have the necessary security to allow them to take western guests. They were very helpful and friendly but someone fked up either they didn’t tell booking.com or booking.com didn’t tell us. So this was a pain as I had been hoping to get a few hours’ kip before the game. They kindly gave us free breakfast and organised a taxi to another hotel (cheaper but twin rooms instead of separate) up near the airport. By the time we got booked in it was about 9:30, with kick off at 10:00. So we rushed in and showered and changed and then taxi to the cricket where we arrived about 30 mins after the start. IT was the usual nonsense regards buying a ticket go to some other ground or bank or something, fk that we bought tickets off a tout for 1000 taka each (face value actually, but obv he paid much less than that if anything). This got us into to the media end â€" the only English fans we met were ex-pats, so we didn’t meet barmy army fans until the evening (more of that later). 2nd floor smoking area you just saw all the TMS and Sky boys walking around, was regularly smoking with Charles Dagnall, I’m not one for getting chatting to celebs though, just borrowed his lighter. The TMS commentary box was free to stand behind and watch them at work as they kept the door open. First person we spoke to inside the ground was Mike Atherton. Have to confess I slept quite a lot of that first day but did manage to blag my way into the journo/media people’s canteen where I wasn’t supposed to be and got a nice curry gratis. The rest of the food available was horrendous â€" some dodgy Mexican (yes Mexican, in Bangladesh ffs) burgers which took ages for them to make and tasted crap. To drink you could get a plastic cup of sevenup for 30taka, bottles of water didn’t turn up until lunch. Which seemed ridiculous to me, but that’s the subcontinent for you â€" utter chaos. The ground was alright I suppose half modern half a characterful hotchpotch. Spent a lot of time in the aircon bit above the sightscreen as there were times when it was fkin hot, but still went outside quite a lot.

Anyway at some point during the first day we both realised we didn’t know the name of the hotel. WE thought it was “Sea Shore†or something. At the end of the day we were in deep lumber, how the fk would we get back. Started chatting to some expats who turned out to work for the high commission and were the most helpful people you could imagine. They took us in their armed guarded minibuses back to their embassy club gave us free beer, free tickets for the rest of the match and after a bit of work with some good wifi we found the name of our hotel…. “Sea Shellâ€Â. They then got their driver and two of the consular staff to take us there â€" how kind. Which was such a relief. We also got given the address of the Bagha club.

We spent every evening at the Bagha club after that, spending about £40-£50 a night. Loved that place, I know it isn’t authentic Bangla(Though I did make one short trip to the dingy la diplomat bar down the road, and it wasn’t as desperate as I expected it to be) but you could get beer and English food and aircon and I could chat with friendly English/Irish/Kiwi people and I’m afraid that was all I wanted after a day in the Dhaka traffic.

Nothing could prepare me for the traffic . And the driving. Have only talked about taxis so far but after the first day we mainly got CNGs which were a great experience. Got to say the smog was less than in India as a result of these. One journey going to the Bagha from the cricket a whopping great big cow came galloping down the road towards us, thought we were in deep doo doo but the CNG driver/matador swerved at the last minute â€" honestly thought we were gonna get horizontalized. We went to old Dhaka one day just to see it and people were saying how the traffic was worse down there. I didn’t really see how it could be any worse but it fkin was. Fk me it was mental down there. We did a tour too round Old Dhaka one day saw a few sights (Pink Palace, Armenian Church). Alright I suppose but I’m not a great sightseer. Afters we went on a river cruise which was the highlight, saw river dolphins and all the kids messing about in the water and people fishing and waving to the two pale skinned baldies on the boat. Very relaxing after 6 days of Dhaka traffic. We played Russian roulette with our bowels eating some local hubbly bubbly down in Old Dhaka but we got away with it. The curry was alright out there but my thoughts are the same as in India â€" I prefer English curry.

As for the cricket, well I barely cared that we lost, it was great fun with the Bangla fans we were sat near the busiest stand and through a razor wire fence I got involved in some good natured baiting whilst our wickets tumbled on the last day, and so they would all specifically come over to me to shout and cheer and jeer as each wicket went down. I got a real good video of it on my facebook. Loved that and good luck to them, they obviously deserved it. I don’t know if the papers in England were whinging or saying it was embarrassing or stuff, it didn’t feel that way to me in the stadium, was just great to see cricketing history. Will never forget the Shakib salute to send off Stokes, great fun. Next up for me probably Sri Lanka in 2 years’ time, with the weak pound Aus and NZ are just going to be too expensive.

Best thing about the place is of course the people â€" they made this trip. With the Indonesians they are in joint first place for the friendliest people I’ve met. I’ve a great video of my mate getting bombarded by kids taking selfies with him at the cricket â€" he loved his 15 minutes of fame for sure. The crowd got so big security had to lead us away through a separate exit. I never saw a white person outside the cricket or hotels or Bagha club â€" so no surprise that the kids (when we went to old Dhaka) just openly stared, pointed and sometime laughed at us. Great people would love to go again. (And I never had to use a non-western toilet either, what a result, always dreaded that in India.)

EDIT: Also should mention they were less likely to con you out there than in India I found. We never had to haggle with the CNG drivers - they came up with a fair price straight up and we agreed. One guy even insisted on using the meter which was really cheap. In India the first price the taxi driver gave was often 3 times what I knew the price should be. Some of the cycle rickshaws chanced their arm a bit though to be fair.''