facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 17, 2009, 01:06 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default BCB Awakens!!!

AXE HANGS ON ASH

Daily Star

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) is likely to sack under-performing Mohammad Ashraful from captaincy after the heartbreaking performance of the Tigers in the ICC World Twenty20 in England.
Bangladesh crashed out of the tournament from the first round after conceding a stunning defeat against Ireland.
The Board will take a decision on the captaincy in the next couple of days. And if the Board takes such decision then Ashraful will be at the mercy of the selectors for a place in the West Indies-bound team as a player.
"I don't find any reason to continue him [Mohammad Ashraful] as the captain when even his position as a player in the team is not certain. He got a 'bonus' time when we extended his tenure despite the fact that he was not performing. But he failed to capitalise on the chances," said BCB director Gazi Ashraf Hossain yesterday.
"Just forget what his performances are as a batsman since he has taken over the captaincy but the way he got out in the crucial match against Ireland is good enough to send him to a rehabilitation programme," the former national skipper fumed.
The game's administrators are also thinking on bringing wholesale changes in the team management including the selectors, coaches and the manager.
BCB's another director and spokesman Jalal Yunus also echoed the sentiment of Gazi Ashraf and said that time has come to evaluate everything including the performances of coaches, other team officials and selectors to save cricket in the country.
"I think more or less everybody's [directors] feeling the same regarding the captaincy issue. No way can we continue him as the captain. Hope a decision would be on it's way about the captaincy soon. Not only captain we are also looking forward to give a long look at everybody's performance because nobody has the right to jeopardise Bangladesh cricket," said Yunus adding that the downward trend in the national team performance also decreased the market value.
The 24-year-old Ashraful was appointed captain in June 2007 and the job was extended in February this year until the conclusion of the tour of West Indies in July-August but now there are slim chances for him to complete his extended tenure. Bangladesh cricket team will fly for the Caribbean on June 29 to play one T20, three ODIs and two Tests.
Gazi Ashraf also said that time has come to assess the performance of coach Jamie Siddons, whose two-year tenure will end in November this year, as he found hardly any improvement in the Tigers batting under the Aussie's guidance.
"My personal opinion is that we can send someone to West Indies instead of Jamie [who is now in Australia and expected to join the team in West Indies] and I believe the performance of the team will not get any worse than what we are at the moment," said Ashraf.
"Time has come to evaluate his [Siddons] performance because we are paying huge money. Improving the batting was the main focus behind his appointment but let me put it this way, is their any improvement under his guidance?
"I don't think our batting has gone anywhere under his guidance rather it is just as erratic as it was earlier. I am ready to accept the criticism if someone wanted to raise his fingers to me because I was involved in his recruitment," he said.
"He raised questions on some issues after the loss to Ireland but my question is, what did he do for the team? He has got a fielding coach but said that his side was the most unfit fielding outfit in the tournament…simply ridiculous," he added.
Gazi Ashraf, a former captain and team manager, was also surprised by the way the team was handled in the ICC World Twenty20.
"The strategies on the field lacked innovation and courage and it was hard to believe that they were playing Twenty20 cricket. They actually didn't try anything. I don't mind with the loss against Ireland because anybody can win in this version any day but what was painful was the team's continuous lack of intelligence," he explained.
"Actually it was not a Twenty20 side. I couldn't understand why they are trying to spoil Rokibul because you should understand that you have to preserve some players like Rokibul for the longer-version. It was not understandable why they ignored Zia (Ziaur Rahman). Why they didn't try with some new players. I don't know whether they can understand the nature of this version. It's the version where you can gamble with some players.
"We didn't want to interfere in the team selection but we were really scared the way the team was handled," he said raising his fingers towards Rafiqul Alam-led selection panel.
Yunus informed that some decisions would come soon to overcome the crisis.
"I think we are already late. We can't afford the team to go down anymore. We don't want few surprising successes rather we have to perform at a certain standard to keep our market value as well as avoid constant criticism," said Yunus.
The two BCB officials believe that the environment in the team is like that they are living in a 'happy family' where whatever happens in the field is immaterial and it is high time to put an end to this.

Old June 17, 2009, 01:06 PM
Test Cricketer

at last we might see some change...it has been way too long that these people have been continuing without any checks or balances!
Old June 17, 2009, 01:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

good to know that they are thinking in right ways. as mentioned somewhere in the article they are bit late. Hope for the best.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:13 PM
BC Editorial Team

Knee-jerk reaction ... whole-sale changes is not the way to go now ...
Old June 17, 2009, 01:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

damn.. you are too quick.. I was about to open a thread on this

For the first time I'm feeling good. Atleast they are raising issues now. Last one was very special to me. Fingers to the selectors. They need some punishment for sending a Test team.

And he is right about coach too. Our coach doesnt want to take the blame on him. He always point the fingers to the players and captain. He should be replaced by someone from Subcontinent.

And the captain Ash, oh well, it was their fault that they made him captain. They made him captain after just one series as VC. I would like them to drop him from the team for now. He needs a long break and work on his batting flaws with a good batting coach. He also needs to see a psychologist along with his other team-mates.

I'm waiting for the changes. Hope they do it soon.

First fire that Hira- the manager. Make Sujon the Manager and coach.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:16 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Fantastic read. Excellent take on Rokibul and Zia. Bagh mama koro nako rag mama...

Lipu, now do the right thing.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:19 PM
Cricket Legend

good news
Old June 17, 2009, 01:19 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Dear Murad,
Even a staunch critic like me on Ash would say he has very little batting flaws compared to other players. He has huge mental flaws hence the inconsistency.

Performance based pay (after a base salary) increases level of concentration by some notches. Inconsistency will be no where to be found.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:20 PM
Cricket Legend

i want shakib to be the next captain
Old June 17, 2009, 01:21 PM
Cricket Sage

By the way, Lipu and co has to take some blames too.

Why the hell all of them went to England for? Around 6/7 board officials went there to watch the WC matches. And all the cost was on BCB.

They should pay back all the money they spent to the BCB. Free te ghurar shokh hoise..shala go..!!
Old June 17, 2009, 01:24 PM
Test Cricketer

Siddons has made some positive changes but what we lack is appropriate communication b/w the coach and players...we do really need an innovative coach and yes Ash does need to be dropped from the team so that he wakes up and sees that he is not the automatic choice for the team!
Old June 17, 2009, 01:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

The way Gazi spoke, it seems like he owns BD cricket, and every one other than him has underperformed. Like Murad bhai said, why were they in England??
And this is not the time for whole sale change. Change the captain, fine. Fine tune and edit the batting line up with one-two changes, accpetable. But for god's sake dont change the coach. A coach needs time to get accustomed to everything. Jamie has been doing good, its not his fault that ash threw his wicket away, or shakib played rash shots. Dont change the coach, dont follow India-Pakistans' footsteps.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:28 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Lipu is trying save his ***. He should be sacked too.

Wholesale changes means changes in the BCB too. I don't see it's gonna happen. Murad pointed rightly towards their free tours to England.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:31 PM
Cricket Guru

We need wholesale changes in the process. Otherwise the same thing will continue to happen again and again.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:32 PM
ODI Cricketer

"Just forget what his performances are as a batsman since he has taken over the captaincy but the way he got out in the crucial match against Ireland is good enough to send him to a rehabilitation programme," the former national skipper fumed.
Sad But True.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

"Send him to rehab"! - incredible quote.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Dear Murad,
Even a staunch critic like me on Ash would say he has very little batting flaws compared to other players. He has huge mental flaws hence the inconsistency.
I think you are right. He has mental problems. And I would put all the blames on BCB. They really didn't allow him to work on his problems in last 7/8 years. They were waiting for his Eids. They should have drop him in 2003/4 and send him to Mccines to overcome all the problems. Shakib and co were lucky.

Quote:
Performance based pay increases level of concentration by some notches. inconsistency will be no where to be found.
This would be the best thing if they do so.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

Oh no, please no. Not another Mohsin Kamal type coach from the Subcontinent!
Unless it's a Bangladeshi coach, no other coach from subcontinent. Atleast then the coach can yell and swear at them in Bangla (and be more effective).

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc

And he is right about coach too. Our coach doesnt want to take the blame on him. He always point the fingers to the players and captain. He should be replaced by someone from Subcontinent.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:36 PM
Cricket Guru

They need to change the selection team right away. Also they need to form a selection policy which must say that no new player below 23 years of age will be brought to the team. Also there has to be some balance of young and experience to stabilize the team balance.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:41 PM
Cricket Guru

He is however right about the 20/20 team. There is no room for Mushy in 20/20's unless he is opening, which he is not capable off, and I thought they would give Mithun a go at the top. Needless to say that 20/20 has no room for Rokibul at this point.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:42 PM
Cricket Guru

This is not the first time we are seeing this kind of reaction from BCB. Nothing has changed really. As pointed by Razab bhai, this kind of knee-jerk reaction will not do anything at all other than saving the BCB officials' ***.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:44 PM
Cricket Guru

ay comment ta jodi Siddons korto ( rehab ) taholey ekhane roktopat shuru hoye jeto.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:46 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uss01
Oh no, please no. Not another Mohsin Kamal type coach from the Subcontinent!
Unless it's a Bangladeshi coach, no other coach from subcontinent. Atleast then the coach can yell and swear at them in Bangla (and be more effective).
Yes. That's why I said make Sujon the coach and manager. And hire a batting coach. Bulbul is a good option.
Old June 17, 2009, 01:50 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
ay comment ta jodi Siddons korto ( rehab ) taholey ekhane roktopat shuru hoye jeto.
I don't think Siddons has the brain to say so. If he had one, he would have asked the BCB to get a psychologist for the team insteasd of blaming the players for all the failures.

He is Bhucanon v2.0
Old June 17, 2009, 02:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

Nice talk, now lets see the walk