facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 11, 2007, 03:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

This news was ranked #3 in Yahoo-USA 2 hours ago. I bet too many people are trying to see the English newspapers of Bangladesh.

Old January 11, 2007, 03:54 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

CNN says this:

Quote:
Bangladesh's president said Thursday he was stepping down as leader of the caretaker government constitutionally mandated to oversee upcoming elections, hours after declaring a state of emergency.

President Iajuddin Ahmed said he would appoint a new leader for the caretaker government to supervise Jan. 22 general elections.
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html
So is the election postponed? Or is CNN right (for the first time)?
Old January 11, 2007, 04:01 PM
Street Cricketer

Default ইহাই আমার সোনার বাংলার সোনার মানুষ

Quote:
Originally Posted by babubangla
Indeed.
Rumor is: Justice Fazlul Haque was backed by the Jamayat-block.
If so: The charge of ""Non-paprty"" caretaker Govt. shifted from BNP to Jamayat.
ইহাই আমার সোনার বাংলার সোনার মানুষ। আমাদের আসলে GOLDEN GOAL দেখা ছাঢ়া আর কোন উপায় নেই ।
Old January 11, 2007, 04:46 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

I liked the following part of iazuddins speech

একটি দেশকে সম্ভাব্য উন্নতির লক্ষ্যে পৌছে দিতে গেলে জাতীয় নেতৃত্বে সততা, আন্তরিকতা, ত্যাগ ও দেশপ্রেম এ চারটি গুনাবলির সমন্বয় প্রয়োজন। আমাদের জাতীয় নেতৃত্বে এ চারটি গুনাবলির সমন্বয় হয়েছে কিনা তা দেশবাসীর মূল্যায়ন করা প্রয়োজন।

Its really the time to review .
Old January 11, 2007, 04:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

So who will be the next chief adviser in CTG? Who decides?
Old January 11, 2007, 05:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman
I'd have send the army to bring the top five (more or less) leaders of each parties, lock them in a room and tell them 'no food or drink' until a signed legally binding long term agreement on outstanding issues like election, political conduct etc is reached. Those leaders have locked the public for so long, its about time for a reversal.
Best post of Chinaman I have read so far in BC since I joined !!!!!!! I agree with all my heart.
Old January 11, 2007, 07:25 PM
Test Cricketer

Here it is...

The following is the demand that caused Bangladeshi people millions of taka, Lively hood, wasted crops in siezed truck and most of all 34 lives. Here is the demand. Judge yourself...

"The Awami League's alliance has claimed the voter list for the election has flaws, including fake names. Other demands include the use of transparent ballot boxes and the removal of about 345 field-level election officials allegedly biased toward Zia."

Is this chaos, death and destruction of common people is the only way to achieve the objective?

source: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/w...angladesh.html

Last edited by shujan; January 11, 2007 at 08:30 PM..
Old January 11, 2007, 07:29 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shujan
Here it is...

The following is the demand that caused bangladeshi people millions of taka, Lively hood, wasted crops in siezed truck and most of all 34 lives. Here is the demand. Judge yourself...

"The Awami League's alliance has claimed the voter list for the election has flaws, including fake names. Other demands include the use of transparent ballot boxes and the removal of about 345 field-level election officials allegedly biased toward Zia."

Is this chaos, death and destruction of common people is the only way to achieve the objective?
This post should be picked up by a mod and displayed as a sticky. This is how silly arguments and all the kada chora churi starts. Taking a part of a sth, and portraying it in such a way to make it look ridiculous. Banglacricket should not support this.
Old January 11, 2007, 07:41 PM
Test Cricketer

This is not something against AL or BNP. This is to make a point that this is the issue both AL and BNP cannot over come for common good. That issue should be resolved with out this drama and destruction. Responsibility goes to both BNP and AL.

Is it very difficult to come to a solution in a consulting and civilized way? If our politicians do not have this much brain then they do not belong to lead a nation.

You are right, this is ridiculous!!
Old January 11, 2007, 07:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBgun
This post should be picked up by a mod and displayed as a sticky. This is how silly arguments and all the kada chora churi starts. Taking a part of a sth, and portraying it in such a way to make it look ridiculous. Banglacricket should not support this.
I think he has a very valid point. Is the chaos, damage and violence the only way to achieve those objectives? Just because it is not according to your sentiments I dont think you can call it silly. More importantly in a forum the posters are responsible for their opinion not the website. I dont see how banglacricket can endorse the posters' opinion because we all have such varied ideas.
Old January 11, 2007, 08:08 PM
Test Cricketer

Here is a sensible soultion which is an alternate to drama and destruction:

Lets break the demands into items, shall we?

1) The Awami League's alliance has claimed the voter list for the election has flaws, including fake names.

Solution: Grand alliance give the list of voters they think are false to election commission, then election commision investigate those voters name and identity and make a judgment about their validity.

2) Other demands include the use of transparent ballot boxes

Solution: Get some transparent ballot box.

3) and the removal of about 345 field-level election officials allegedly biased toward Zia."

Solution: If BNP does not agree to remove them then Grand Allience select 345 memeber of their own choice. Election commision then appoint them to work in the same place with 345 BNP supporter so that they can check on each other.
Old January 11, 2007, 08:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shujan
Here is a sensible soultion which is an alternate to drama and destruction:

Lets break the demands into items, shall we?

1) The Awami League's alliance has claimed the voter list for the election has flaws, including fake names.

Solution: Grand alliance give the list of voters they think are false to election commission, then election commision investigate those voters name and identity and make a judgment about their validity.

2) Other demands include the use of transparent ballot boxes

Solution: Get some transparent ballot box.

3) and the removal of about 345 field-level election officials allegedly biased toward Zia."

Solution: If BNP does not agree to remove them then Grand Allience select 345 memeber of their own choice. Election commision then appoint them to work in the same place with 345 BNP supporter so that they can check on each other.
I dont think these would have worked because the election commission itself was pretty controversial. My point is if gandhi can have a non violent movement against the British then I am sure there are other ways of getting their demands fulfilled but since I am going out for the night I will post some solutions when I come back.
Old January 11, 2007, 11:49 PM
Cricket Guru

Shujan bhai: The first problem's solution wouldn't just work. Realistically, it should take months, if not over a year, to go through the voters' list that can be corrected with investigation. Moreover, IMHO, the deal about the voters' list isn't like AL thinks it's flawed and that it's working in favor of BNP. What it is, is really that AL wants to make an issue out of it for meeting their other deamands. And the problem with BNP is that, they're so ghar tera that they won't let this happen...even though they know that the flawed list may not be so much to their advantage. So a more realistic solution would be to follow CM's suggestion. In this case, lock up the 5 top parties with no food and water, and let them go through the voters' list and choose their own list...and agree on something. Until they do it, no food and water...lets see what chaos they create when they're facing themselves (with their skin, bones, blood, and lives).
Old January 12, 2007, 12:09 AM
Cricket Guru

News update from DS:

Quote:
As the country was plunging into the abyss of a deep political crisis, the international community moved in a concerted way to put pressure on Iajuddin Ahmed and the caretaker government to back out from the controversial plan to hold elections on January 22.

The European Commission said it will reassess its trade relations and cooperation with Bangladesh after observing if the January 22 elections meet the democratic and human rights standards.

On the other hand, the United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said the political crisis in Bangladesh has "severely jeopardised the legitimacy" of the polls.

The UN, European Union (EU) and the Commonwealth also suspended their election observation missions in Bangladesh yesterday.

In the afternoon, envoys of the US, UK, Japan, EC, Canada, Australia held closed-door meetings with the Grand Alliance leaders and then with the 4-party alliance leaders. They discussed Iajuddin's resignation and postponement of the January 22 polls.

Ambassador and Head of Delegation of the European Commission to Bangladesh Dr Stefan Frowein at a press conference at a city hotel yesterday also announced that the EU decided on January 10 to suspend its Election Observation Mission (EOM) in Bangladesh for the January 22 elections.

Asked if the government elected through the January 22 polls will be seen as a legitimate one, Frowein said, "We would certainly reassess every aspect of our relations with Bangladesh, one of which is trade and another is cooperation.

Frowein said the decision was taken in light of the standards stipulated in the UN's International Convention on Civil and Political Rights, which states that elections have to be genuinely participated by political parties and genuinely contested. "The standards are not of that level," he said.

Source: http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/01/12/d7011201033.htm
Old January 12, 2007, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

a country with no government - not even the dummy make-belief care-taker type. so pathetic.
Old January 12, 2007, 12:20 AM
Cricket Guru

Isn't that sad. Virtually anything is possible right now. If the army's a little smart, they can reap its benefits by capturing the big leaders, and detaining them until the election is over.
Old January 12, 2007, 03:56 AM
Cricket Legend

The best thing has happened.

What we need is a stable country,not a democratic one.And if now the Army comes to power,I will shower petals over them,I will even dance with them if they shot the leaders dead.

Dhaka is feeling much better now.And IMO the best thing they did was to suppress Press,news is good,but sometimes it leads to panic,and the thamba reporting that was going on is stopped for good.

The thing that amuses me most that there is now not even a way to announce Hartal because the flow of announcement channels is controls.
Old January 12, 2007, 04:10 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafin
The best thing has happened.

What we need is a stable country,not a democratic one.And if now the Army comes to power,I will shower petals over them,I will even dance with them if they shot the leaders dead.

Dhaka is feeling much better now.And IMO the best thing they did was to suppress Press,news is good,but sometimes it leads to panic,and the thamba reporting that was going on is stopped for good.

The thing that amuses me most that there is now not even a way to announce Hartal because the flow of announcement channels is controls.
In the same way retract it. BAL have retracted its call for oborodh.
Old January 12, 2007, 04:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafin
Specially the gems that reported that the vast majority of Bangladeshis were seen supporting the Oborodh (not mentioning that those who defied the Oborodh were beaten and in case of CNG Drivers, almost burnt to death, which is why most people stayed of teh streets, and not out of any love for the Blockade).
Old January 12, 2007, 04:54 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
a country with no government - not even the dummy make-belief care-taker type. so pathetic.
Doesn't seem to be a very bad idea to me... considering the performances of our so-called 'Democratic governments' and the 'Elected Opposition parties' over the past 15 years (3 Govt. terms).
Old January 12, 2007, 05:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_B
Doesn't seem to be a very bad idea to me... considering the performances of our so-called 'Democratic governments' and the 'Elected Opposition parties' over the past 15 years (3 Govt. terms).
Just shows that democracy only works for civilised countries, and ours isn't definitely one of them.
Old January 12, 2007, 07:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Former BB Governor named as CG, crufew lifted

Former Bangladesh Bank governor Fakruddin Ahmed has been named the next Chief Advisor and the oath taking ceremony will be held at 7 p.m. BD time.

Curfew has also been withdrawn, police told.

Source

Last edited by Mohiul; January 12, 2007 at 07:49 AM..
Old January 12, 2007, 07:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Mega Alliance has called off all street protests
Old January 12, 2007, 08:42 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

This time AL and allies attended the ceremony and BNP and allies boycotted it.

Another set of anarchy on the cards ???
Old January 12, 2007, 08:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
This time AL and allies attended the ceremony and BNP and allies boycotted it.
really? please, if it is news then say it. I don't think it is good time to joke.