facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Are you happy with the decision?
Yes 18 30.00%
No 18 30.00%
Kinda 24 40.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 27, 2011, 05:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

Welcome to cricket fanaticism Mr. Law.
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]

Old June 27, 2011, 05:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

Source

Quote:
Bangladesh have announced that Stuart Law will be their next coach, succeeding Jamie Siddons. Law, currently Sri Lanka's interim coach, will quit that position after the ongoing ODI series against England and will likely join the Bangladesh team in Dhaka prior to their tour of Zimbabwe.

Law - whose appointment was announced at a press conference in Dhaka on Monday - had served as Sri Lanka's assistant coach under Trevor Bayliss since 2009 and took charge of the team on a temporary basis, specifically for the tour of England, after Bayliss stepped down post the 2011 World Cup.

He will replace Jamie Siddons, whose contract wasn't renewed after the World Cup. "I only need to put pen to paper. I have finalised it so the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) can tell you," Law told Dhaka-based daily Prothom Alo. "I asked SLC if they would want me to continue after November but they couldn't confirm anything so I told them that I won't continue after the UK tour. The most important thing for me is job security.

"I just have to go back to Sri Lanka to sort out a few things and after I spend some time with my family, I will join the Bangladesh team. I'm not sure if it'll be two weeks or ten days before the tour to Zimbabwe," Law said.

Earlier on the England tour, Law, a former Australia batsman, had expressed his keenness to take over the Sri Lankan job on a full-time basis. "At this stage it's a wonderful opportunity to work with one of the best teams in the world so, yes, I am keen," he had said. "I've got this tour to show what I'm capable of."

One of Marvan Atapattu (batting coach), Ruwan Kalpage (fielding coach) and Champaka Ramanayake (bowling coach) was expected to take over from Law on a temporary basis.
Old June 27, 2011, 05:21 AM
Cricket Legend

However, he has decided not to pursue the job full-time, instead choosing to succeed Jamie Siddons, whose contract with Bangladesh was not renewed after the World Cup.

Law - whose appointment was announced at a press conference in Dhaka on Monday - will join the squad prior to their tour of Zimbabwe next month.

"Stuart Law was far ahead on our shortlist for a new coach. He has been appointed the head coach of the Bangladesh national cricket team for two years starting from July 1," Bangladesh Cricket Board spokesman Jalal Yunus.

"It's not only his experience as a coach - his strong leadership abilities were a factor in our decision to make him head coach.

"He was a successful captain of Queensland for 10 years and also led Lancashire for seven to eight years."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...006877,00.html

So, it's only two years from july the 1st.
Old June 27, 2011, 05:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Best of luck, coach! Hope he gets a capable coaching staff to support him.
Old June 27, 2011, 06:00 AM
Club Cricketer

From the very little time I have spent in your forum, my feeling is tgat expectations from coach is tad too much. I doubt if in cricket a coach canchange the game or a player. Maybe a little bit but the foundations both mental and technical happen at the school level. It is not like football. A coach is only as good as his players and to me players have not stepped up totheir potential.
Old June 27, 2011, 06:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

^ I disagree with you. If a coach is like a player in cricket, most cricket team would be fine without coach, like NZ for example, who has Vettori for everything.
Old June 27, 2011, 06:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

Based on what I have seen, so far with SL, Law is way too defensive. With the current bunch, SL should have done much better in ENG. I am not quite sure what positives he will bring in this team.
BD needed a coach like Tom Moody or Ian Pont, too bad they were not available. Being so young and emotional the players are, Whatmore type coach can do wonders.
Old June 27, 2011, 06:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

No calls can be made unless we actually see how he performs with Bangladesh team. What he did with SL/QLD/county teams can hardly tell us about his next 2-3 years. Hoping him the very best, all I want is to see Bangladesh at #7 before he leaves.
Old June 27, 2011, 06:40 AM
Test Cricketer

I have very little optimism about this appointment and cannot see that he has the experience or the track record to succeed in what is one of the most difficult tasks in world cricket.

I'll hold off making a judgement until 12 months from now however. Best of luck to him.
Old June 27, 2011, 06:40 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by paindu
From the very little time I have spent in your forum, my feeling is tgat expectations from coach is tad too much. I doubt if in cricket a coach canchange the game or a player. Maybe a little bit but the foundations both mental and technical happen at the school level. It is not like football. A coach is only as good as his players and to me players have not stepped up totheir potential.

Very difficult for any coach to change players average from 30s and 20s to 40s and 50s. It is a process and takes time with the new generations. All the best to coach Law.

One win in test and we certainly draw the series. We may have a chance to win it as well.
Old June 27, 2011, 06:47 AM
Cricket Guru

Woot woot! We finally have a coach

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Old June 27, 2011, 07:02 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Welcome to Bangladesh Mr Law.
Wish you all the best of luck and hope you can take the Tigers to a new height and to a new level.
Wish your tenure as our coach will be the best and the most successful one.

Despite their many inabilities, BCB has been succesful in giving us some good coaches like Greenidge, Barlow and the last two, Whatmore and Siddons. I'd hope Law is the continuation of that process and he could add new dynamism in the team and bring some fresh perspective.

Those who doubt his selection, I say hold your horses for a while and please dont start complaining right from the word go. Lets wait and see what he brings to the table.
Lets be Law Abiding Citizens !

With Law by their side, I hope justice will be served by the Tigers.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 27, 2011, 07:20 AM
First Class Cricketer

Does not matter who the coach is (be it Stuart Law, Stuart Little, Lucy Lawless)! I am so happy...no more new coach threads!
Old June 27, 2011, 07:56 AM
Test Cricketer

Stewee the leweee,
sat on the bangla wall....
stewee the lewee up for a fall?
can all the fools and mullahs keep leewee in one piece in two years time?
Old June 27, 2011, 08:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Warm welcomes to coach Law! It's understandable to see some skepticism in this decision but let's wait and see how he does with us. Let's not write him off immediately. Also it's unfair to judge him from the SL/Eng series. It's just the 1st tour as an interim coach. Honestly you can't make an impact that fast. So again let's wait and see how he does with us 1st. I'm confident that he'll do a good job and have a gut feeling he'll be better then Siddons.
Old June 27, 2011, 08:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Welcome Stuart Law ... Wish you all the best
Old June 27, 2011, 08:55 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

BCB media release on Stuart Law appointment

Date: Monday, 27 June 2011

Media Release

Stuart Law appointed Bangladesh Head Coach

Former Australia batsman Stuart Law has been appointed the new Head Coach of Bangladesh National Cricket Team. The 42-year-old, who is currently the interim-coach of Sri Lanka, will begin his stint with the Tigers with the tour of Zimbabwe in July-August.

Announcing the appointment BCB’s Media Committee Chairman Jalal Yunus said: “We were on the lookout for someone with passion, drive and international pedigree to lead the Bangladesh Team to greater heights and in Stuart we believe we have found a coach who is highly motivated and also committed towards achieving goals.

“He has agreed terms for a two-year contract with the BCB and is expected to join the squad ahead of the series against Zimbabwe. He has had a distinguished playing career and his coaching experience with a world class side like Sri Lanka would be very beneficial for the Bangladesh Team. The negotiations took some time but we are delighted to finally have him on board.”

Law said he was relishing the challenge of working with the youthful and talented Tigers squad: “I’m really excited by this opportunity the BCB has presented me with. It’s a great honour. To leave Sri Lanka Cricket is not a decision that was taken lightly. My time with them has been a most enjoyable journey and I’d really like to thank everyone involved there for their support. I have made so many friends there and had some fantastic experiences.

“A new challenge awaits me now in Dhaka, which I believe I’m ready for. To coach a national side, I think is any coach’s goal, so to get the opportunity to work with what I think is a very talented bunch of cricketers, is particularly exciting. I look forward to the times ahead and taking Bangladesh to the next level.”

BRIEF PROFILE OF STUART GRANT LAW

Born on 18 October 1968 in Brisbane, Australia Law made his first-class debut for Queensland in the 1988/89 Sheffield Shield and hit 179 in only his second match. A right-handed middle-order batsmen and occasional leg spin bowler Law captained Queensland to four Sheffield Shield titles and two one day trophies, making him the most successful captain in Australian domestic cricket. He is also Queensland’s all time leading run scorer in first class cricket. In the English county championship Law appeared for Essex, Lancashire and Derbyshire. A prolific batsman Law has made over 40,000 runs and one hundred centuries in all forms of the game.

In 1994/95 Law got his Australia debut in a One Day International and captained Young Australia in England the following summer. In 1995/96 he played his first and only Test match when he replaced the injured Steve Waugh, making an unbeaten half-century. In ODIs he represented his country 54 times.

He was selected as one of the five Wisden Cricketers of the Year in 1998. In 2007, he was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia.

Law was appointed Sri Lanka's assistant coach in October 2009 and took charge as the head coach when Trevor Bayliss left shortly after the 2011 World Cup.

Media & Communications Department, BCB
Old June 27, 2011, 08:56 AM
Cricket Sage

Good Job BCB and Mr. Loitta.

Yes you guys made some mistakes in the selecting process, but at the end you got who you wanted, and that's count most to me.

I don't know whether Law is better than fan favorite "X", "Y" or Siddon. I am not a fortune teller nor am I a cricket expert.

But what I can say as a BD cricket fan is, based on reality and constraints, we should target upcomming new coaches who would take this job as a challenge and a steping stone for his still young coaching career. And Law falls in that category. And I like that.

Whether it was a right decision or not, only future can tell. But I accpet him with my open arm for atleast 2 years, I am willing to see how he approach things, how he deals with the players, media and BCB, how he slowly makes (if any) a difference in the team.

So again good job BCB and good job Loitta Bhai, and good luck Law !!!!
Old June 27, 2011, 09:06 AM
Cricket Legend

He seems to be a good thinker. Someone who sets good targets, and will try reach them
Old June 27, 2011, 09:21 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

1. LOTUS KAMAL: "We will not be appointing an Australian again...." (100% not Stuart Law)

2. JALAL YOUNIS: “We were on the lookout for someone with passion, drive and international pedigree to lead the Bangladesh Team to greater heights ..." (Law walks out on Sri Lanka as they will not YET back him after his time in temporary charge)

3. STUART LAW: “A new challenge awaits me now in Dhaka, which I believe I’m ready for..." (not sure)

Just selecting three quotes from key people something interesting comes out of this.

1. Lotus Kamal didn't want Law.
2. Jalal Younis implies Law had international coaching pedigree when he has only been assistant and SL couldn't decide on him, and passion & drive yet walks away from the post he said he 'desperately' wanted.
3. Law isn't sure himself he has the right stuff to be head coach or else he would have stayed at SL, but he 'believes' he could do the job at Bangladesh.

I am not sure this is quite the ringing endorsement we all wanted for a Head Coach to lead BD into the next two years. It sounds like yet another 'experiment' with an Australian with no official head coach or long first class coaching career behind him and no experience in creating players.

We will all give Law time to settle in and so we should. I am just a little uneasy with the third $18,000 a month, Aussie experiment in a row. Expect the excuses to start early.....
Old June 27, 2011, 09:32 AM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Would've preferred Ian Pont or Mick Newell, but wish him all the best anyway.
Old June 27, 2011, 09:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
Would've preferred Ian Pont or Mick Newell, but wish him all the best anyway.
Ian didn't even apply.
Old June 27, 2011, 09:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

Last time I heard someone talking about ranking upgrade was when Ashraful took over as a captain. He said he was gonna take us up to number 5 in ODI and Tests... we all know what happened to that dream.
Old June 27, 2011, 09:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarufH
Last time I heard someone talking about ranking upgrade was when Ashraful took over as a captain. He said he was gonna take us up to number 5 in ODI and Tests... we all know what happened to that dream.
Shakib also said this. Give the team time.
They are not world beaters just yet. They need to improve, and this is the man in charge of that.
Old June 27, 2011, 09:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

age perform koruk, tarpor dekha jabe