facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 6, 2007, 04:53 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

Rokon was one of the most promising cricketer of was, I still remember some of his great shot against Wasim Akram in his 1st odi.
I will be happy if he comeback in national team's would be better than JO.

Old December 6, 2007, 07:34 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafiz

Exciting news! Whichever it is, SN or Rokon, either ways its great news and hope it goes well! There is always a starting to everything. We may have more players following suit soon if things go well...
Old December 6, 2007, 08:02 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omio
Rokon was one of the most promising cricketer of was, I still remember some of his great shot against Wasim Akram in his 1st odi.
I will be happy if he comeback in national team's would be better than JO.
If this is the same match where Athar Ali made his highest score, Asia Cup in Colombo if I remember correctly, yes the two consecutive 4's on and off. Sweet timing, excellent feet movement and hand-eye compromise - doubt if he still got it. While JO is pathetic in scoring, Rokon mostly gets carried away although not as much as Tamim recently.
Old December 6, 2007, 08:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

I doubt Shahriah Nafees would take up the offer. It's just a change of scenery that's all. New Zealand club cricket is hardly prestigious. Their first class competition isn't even very good.
Old December 6, 2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Rokon was my batch mate in Dhaka University and we played together. I am 31, he can't be 35.
Yes, he cant be 35. We used to play football together ( in 85, 86 ) when he was only around 10 or so, and we lived in same para. He was so good in dribbling and had good sense on football. His father an ex Kolkata Mohamedan player later put him in BKSP to groom him as a player, Later I was surprised to know from his brother ( when I visited Dhaka in 89 I guess ) that he already started playing cricket instead of football there, though he also had good sense playing para cricket in his early age.

He is still a nice lovely kid in my memory, good to see he is doing his best.
Old December 6, 2007, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by James90
I doubt Shahriah Nafees would take up the offer. It's just a change of scenery that's all. New Zealand club cricket is hardly prestigious. Their first class competition isn't even very good.
Exactly why this could be nothing more than a good money making venture for someone who doesn't seem to be making it to the team any time soon.
Old December 6, 2007, 11:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by James90
I believe it was Al Sahariar who got the call...
Old December 7, 2007, 12:22 AM
Cricket Guru

woot woot! Good news!
Old December 7, 2007, 12:50 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ash,Shakib,Dhiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Rokon is atleast 35 years old by now (regardless what cricinfo says).
How old is Javed, Bashar and Rafique btw.

If Rokon is 35, Javed should be in his late 30s, Bashar in his early 40s and Rafique in his mid 40s.
Old December 7, 2007, 02:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

I know Shanto bhai because he is my cousin's best friend and he is the same age as him, and they have going to school since childhood, and his age is for a fact 30 as is listed as his official age 30 years and 177 days. I know Tamim Iqbal because my friend and him gave o-level together and my friend has just turned 16, even if Tamim is older than him he can't be older than 17 as is listed.

There are some weird people here who think cricket players have nothing better to do rather than fabricating their age. Seriously, grow up people. Cricket is a sport. It's not an office where you want to fake age to receive pension and work for a longer time. There are many associates of many players from Bangladesh here in this forum and all around. You cant lie!
Old December 7, 2007, 03:24 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrong `un

If Rokon is 35, Javed should be in his late 30s, Bashar in his early 40s and Rafique in his mid 40s.
Age cheating is part of our culture, and its impossible to think of age based sports in Bangladesh without overage players. If you believe in the official age of Bangladeshi players (unless you are personally 100% confirm about a particular individual's age), then [edit - do not make personal attacks]

Last edited by RazabQ; December 7, 2007 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: mod.action
Old December 7, 2007, 03:53 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus
I know Shanto bhai because he is my cousin's best friend and he is the same age as him, and they have going to school since childhood, and his age is for a fact 30 as is listed as his official age 30 years and 177 days. I know Tamim Iqbal because my friend and him gave o-level together and my friend has just turned 16, even if Tamim is older than him he can't be older than 17 as is listed.

There are some weird people here who think cricket players have nothing better to do rather than fabricating their age. Seriously, grow up people. Cricket is a sport. It's not an office where you want to fake age to receive pension and work for a longer time. There are many associates of many players from Bangladesh here in this forum and all around. You cant lie!
sorry dude i have to correct you.... tamim and i went to the same skul and even played cricket together.... he has been a little laid bak in hiz studiez due to valid reasons of touring all da time.... i turned 20 ... and he iz as old as me.... he waz born in 87 and itz a fact.... i haf no reason to hide my age but somhow even my passport still say im 18 .... due to circumstances.... so itz not impossible fer tamimi to b 18 now.... but yes hiz real age iz 20 !!!! nd da reason he gave hiz o'level with your frnd who turned 16 or whatevr is due to the fact that hiz teking da exam quite late......!!!!

and no im not in touch with him nemore.....since im residing in canada now howevr my mother and hiz mother iz in da sem club doing ladiez stuffs.....

hope this will clear the matter........and ne doubts over hiz age......and i blive rest of the cricketers do the sem !!!!
Old December 7, 2007, 04:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
good catch...

I was thinking like that...

Billah bhai you disappointed me again. If ROKON can do a come back and scores runs whats the problem?
I think you need to change you attitude towards bd x players. ALl current BD players will be X sooner or later.
Sorry, bro..
Seriously, Rokons and Kapalis..
Get over them..
The sooner, the better.
Times have indeed changed.
Old December 7, 2007, 06:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
Sorry, bro..
Get over them..
The sooner, the better.
Precisely. There's no point in putting faith in any of these players. Rokon didn't make a come back - he just randomly got chosen out of the blue for some New Zealand club. I see no bid deal in this.
Old December 7, 2007, 06:10 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

Whether it's Al Shahriar of shahriar nafees, it's still good news. I think it will be hugely beneficial for our players (though preferably younger guys like Talha, rajin, shuvo etc) to play abroad. It builds character as Gus Fraser points out here (albeit in an English context):

http://sport.independent.co.uk/crick...cle3231144.ece
Old December 7, 2007, 06:51 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
Age cheating is part of our culture, and its impossible to think of age based sports in Bangladesh without overage players. If you believe in the official age of Bangladeshi players (unless you are personally 100% confirm about a particular individual's age), then [edit - do not make personal attacks].
I guess everybody is aware of the fact that all South Asian players do that. it's just not a Bangladeshi thing.

The thing I was stating was the extent to which the players do that. The cricketer's at most hide about 2-3 years.

So saying that Rokon is 35 now is total [edit - do not make personal attacks

BTW, Rokon officially is 29 now. His real age should be at most 31-32. When he played in the Saarc Cup in 1995 he was the youngest member of the Bangladesh team and was around 19. He played the U-19 World Cup in 1998 as a 22 year old.

[edit - do not make personal attacks

Last edited by RazabQ; December 7, 2007 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: mod.action
Old December 7, 2007, 06:54 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
Sorry, bro..
Get over them..
The sooner, the better.

Add Rajin, Javed and others too in the list. They are as crappy as the likes of Rokons and Kapalis.
Old December 7, 2007, 07:18 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:

Javed is 5-6 years senior to Rokon, Javed and Bashar are of same age, and they are good friends.

Javed was a student of DU history dept and was 3 years senior to us

Rokon is 31-32 and Javed should be 36-37.
Old December 7, 2007, 07:23 AM
Cricket Guru

Ok, I may have overestimated Rokon's age. According to what different people (Miraz, Poorfan, and wrong'un) are saying here, he should be 31-32. We all can agree that there is no way he is still 29.
Old December 7, 2007, 09:24 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
I guess everybody is aware of the fact that all South Asian players do that. it's just not a Bangladeshi thing.

The thing I was stating was the extent to which the players do that. The cricketer's at most hide about 2-3 years.

So saying that Rokon is 35 now is total crap. If you believe in that then I guess you are the most naive person in the world.

BTW, Rokon officially is 29 now. His real age should be at most 31-32. When he played in the Saarc Cup in 1995 he was the youngest member of the Bangladesh team and was around 19. He played the U-19 World Cup in 1998 as a 22 year old.

[edit].
I didn't say that Rokon is 35, not everyone cheats equally (Is JO really early 30?). What matters is cheating, and you can't help but feel embarrassed when you think about all those undeserved age based world records we made. You can say that most of those records belonged to Pakistanis, who are just as bad or worse than we are in this regard, but that doesn't justify cheating and cheap glory earned through that process.

Last edited by RazabQ; December 7, 2007 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: mod.action
Old December 7, 2007, 09:48 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
I didn't say that Rokon is 35, not everyone cheats equally (Is JO really early 30?). What matters is cheating, and you can't help but feel embarrassed when you think about all those undeserved age based world records we made. You can say that most of those records belonged to Pakistanis, who are just as bad or worse than we are in this regard, but that doesn't justify cheating and cheap glory earned through that process.
The age process is now streamlined in Bangladesh. Those are old days, forget them and move on.
Old December 7, 2007, 09:53 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Umm...guys I hate to disappoint you guys but the team he got invited for isn't a first class team! Their first class teams are Canterberry, Wellington, Otago, and 3 others that I can't recall. If he was at least playing for a first class team I would have been slightly excited.
Old December 7, 2007, 11:19 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
I am not sure what ARE the records you are talking about here. All i can remember the only age record we have is the one ash made. where he declared his original age right a way which still made him the youngest centurion. So please don't generalize. And there is a reason for doing the age thing in bangladesh where it takes 8 years to get a 4 year degree.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old December 7, 2007, 11:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

True. Today, you cant hide the age thing as BCB is pretty rigid about age issues. Also, ICC has included the radiology testing for age verification . Just last week or so, I think Nepal was banned for a year for including 2 overaged kids in the age squads. And the age hiding is so 70s as literally none cares about the Government Service jobs where age is a factor.
Old December 7, 2007, 11:58 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

What difference does it make whether he is 25 or 35?
He is off the nationa team for good, everyone knows that.
Now he got a call to play in an overseas league, good for him.
He must hv used his connections well.

I think we should be congratulating him, rather than pushing this thread to a whole new level of old debated subject.

Congrats to Rokon.
Period.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]