facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 2, 2011, 01:37 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Every body is an asset for us!..its a shame that our biggest asset(sir ash) is now our biggest liability

Old April 2, 2011, 06:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

I had picked up his change of his action long before..... Asked the coach and was confirmed that he has infact changed his action to a slingy one. I am really excited about Shahadat now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus
Coach,

Has Shahadat changed his action? His run up looks a lot like a Shaun Tait not the express run up like he had before. And also it looks as if he has changed his round arm action to a more slighshot type. It does look like he has increased pace many folds eventhough he is not putting half the effort he put in earlier. Would love to hear your views on Shahadat, he is one of our bowlers who is realistically capable of reaching 150ks. Have you worked on him with your ABSAT? Please continue the work with Shahadat if you are. I am really excited after seeing him bowl in the nets.

Ian Pont's response......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
Shahadat and I always chat about pace. He wants to go faster and I think he is. I did an ABSAT session with ALL the quicks back in November but of course don't have the time to get to see them to carry that on.

Shahadat's action is probably closer to his old style. I believe he changed it under the previous bowling coach and didn't like the changes. So I have encouraged him to find his way of generating more pace.

He sometimes bowls the odd ball a bit wayward but I don't mind that. I want to see him bowl GAS. He is our tallest bowler and of course bowls with great aggression. I think he could be quicker. His time will come hopefully...

This was my post about my Rajib in 2007. I am glad someone listened to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus
I wanted to talk about this for a long time. Shahadat Hossain's action.

If you are a bowler you know even a little change in it can change your bowling dramatically. For example, when Shohaib bursted in the scene his action was different than the one he has today. He used to take the ball from his chest so as to aim the ball towards wicket in order to be more accurate than pacy and now he starts taking the ball right at the end near his hips before 2 steps of jumping and delivering the ball. Almost the same action or the nature of the action can be seen with a lot of great fast bowlers like waqar younis,brett lee,jeff thomson, lasith malinga etc.

Rajib seems to concentrate on line and length rather than pace. Eventhough he grunts and puts in a lot of effort his action is not smooth and that's why he doesn't get that pace.

He can reach so much higher in the pace department if he just does a few things. Firstly, forget about what others say, Bangladesh is always negative towards fast bowlers. If you are a fast bowler in Bangladesh you are everyone's best friend or worse enemy. People are the most impatient with you. If a wide is bowled the immediate thing that is said is "bowl slower and try to bowl in line and length" which is very pathetic and discouraging for the bowler. In the team, Rafique and Bashar along with Khaled Mashud have known to spread this kind of statements and you can imagine if these players say to younger players these kind of things the rest... We need a captain who can motivate his fast bowlers and gear him up aggressively, specially a talent like Rajib. And NOT ASK HIM TO BOWL SLOW. Look at Australia, learn something from them. Eventhough Tait is supposed to be wayward they think of him as their best wicket taking weapon and they don't care about the extras or the economy. Fast bowling thanks to the players and captains in that team is a pressure free and enjoyable ride. This goes out to all the fast bowlers in Bangladesh and the players alike.

Secondly he can change his action a bit, his leg is not straight after delivery which you need for smooth follow through, instead of banging the deck hard and using his wrist he seems to be trying to get swing. Swing will come naturally. If you don't have it then forget it. It's how you deliver the ball not how you hold it. And most important change can be picking up the ball before his last strides not from the chest but from the back of his hips. This will give him so much of extra pace.

At the moment he is our best fast bowling prospect. He has the attitude,height,aggression,pace everything in him. It's just a matter of time.
LINK > http://banglacricket.com/alochona/sh...735#post442735
Old April 2, 2011, 06:24 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Tamim, Mashrafe

we seriously need fast bowlers..........., I think Pont is working good with those boys. Please Mr Pont, dont go
Old April 2, 2011, 07:18 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Shahadat is undoubtly our most successful Test bowler.
Old April 2, 2011, 07:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
Shahadat is undoubtly our most successful Test bowler.
What about this guy?
www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/player/56143.html

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old April 2, 2011, 07:47 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

^haha...yes shakib is our most successful test bowler...sahadat is the most successful fast bowler by far
Old April 2, 2011, 11:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Thanks for the info Ian.
Old April 2, 2011, 01:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum
Thanks for the info Ian.

Old April 3, 2011, 12:37 AM
BC Editorial Team

Ian thanks for the headsup. Must be nice to be back in the home country
Old April 3, 2011, 01:20 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

guys lets not get too ahead of ourselves. That little clip doesnt suggest anything other than he has a new slingy action, whether he is faster or not is difficult to determine. If anything, none of balls went past the helmet. Anyways I believe this is his action in the game against Afghanistan and in the clip he got smoked and didnt seem too pacy either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjEUpyeB3Kg
Old April 3, 2011, 06:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Bangladesh
guys lets not get too ahead of ourselves. That little clip doesnt suggest anything other than he has a new slingy action, whether he is faster or not is difficult to determine. If anything, none of balls went past the helmet. Anyways I believe this is his action in the game against Afghanistan and in the clip he got smoked and didnt seem too pacy either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjEUpyeB3Kg
Well that was last year, he did change his action and does look better.
Old April 3, 2011, 07:04 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
I can confirm that Shahadat is trying to bowl with more pace and he has been successful. At some stages during the past month or so he has been 145 kph or so. I work with pace all the time so I am a pretty accurate judge of speed and it is certainly between 140-145 at times when he cranks it up.

He has been 'tweaking' his action rather than changing it. In the same way a batsman might lift their bat higher or move their bottom hand on the handle, Shahadat has been trying to access his long levers (arm pull) far more which leads to a slight delay in his action (appearing a bit more 'sling', although it technically isn't a sling).

I said this way back in November about Shahadat that he could be a BD version of Stuart Broad. I still believe that. In the same way that we encouraged Rubel to have confidence in his bowling, Shahadat needs the same thing - just go out and try to bowl with good pace and enjoy it.

Yes sometimes he will get things wrong, but that's all part of learning. With encouragement I feel BD has a potential match-winner, if he is given chances. I have always felt the same about Syed Rasel by the way and that he is an asset to the BD team.

I hope some of these guys are not discarded and left behind.
We had guys who could make some impact now and then in the pace bowling department. During your time here in Bangladesh, some of them really tried hard with your help to be make things right for them. Thanks for your short but effective tenure here.

As you have said a lot of times, I agree that the pace bowlers needs to be trusted in the real matches. That's the only way for them to groom up.
Old April 3, 2011, 10:07 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by mij
Well that was last year, he did change his action and does look better.
Well based on whats being said, it seems that the actions he changed to. The Asian games didnt take place a long time ago. I though Ian said that Shahadat changed his action before Ian came.
Old April 3, 2011, 10:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

ashraful's innings might have been dorshoniyo because maybe he played some of those pretty shots