facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 31, 2007, 06:27 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

I actually hate Friday nights.........

the reason being, its too close to Mondays.....

Old July 31, 2007, 06:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
Isn't this largely a reflection of whether one enjoys one's work or not?
yes, you are the first person to spell it out! thank you sir.

work is so ingrained in our very being that it's very essence is shown up as godliness. that work gets you out of bed, gives you a sense of purpose, a sense of being, something to support, something to strive for, something to fight over, is ultimately a control mechanism that wider society uses to control the individual. for so many, especially in the developing world there is no alternative to work. work spells out food. that discipline of hunger dictates the individual. is there no escape?
Old July 31, 2007, 06:32 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:
Isn't this largely a reflection of whether one enjoys one's work or not? I suppose I am fortunate in that I get paid to do what I love, so no, I don't dislike Mondays.
I used to do programming as hobby and now I work as a programmer. Still, I hate Mondays. Why, because the time is not mine. I have to seat on a 6x8 for the entire day and most of the time run against the clock to meet deadlines.

does not matter how much someone like his/her work, I fail to see how someone would like Mondays (again, that is given a Monday-Friday work week).
Old July 31, 2007, 06:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
As myself: Contrary to Shad, I merely work to pay the bills and so I detest Mondays or any working days for that matter. And in my line of work, every day is a bleeping work-day. Oh why couldn't I find the end of the rainbow?
Not saying this is applicable to either you or me, Razab, but I know quite a few guys who found the "end of the rainbow," married her, and are living a life of luxury as ghorjamais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
does not matter how much someone like his/her work, I fail to see how someone would like Mondays (again, that is given a Monday-Friday work week).
At the risk of sounding overly melodramatic, because every day holds out the possibility of a new discovery, of wresting a new secret from nature. That's not to say that my career doesn't have its own sources of stress (the publish or perish issue, research grant renewal issues in light of NIH budget cuts, possibilities of being scooped in a highly competitive field, etc.), but these don't detract from the sheer pleasure of research and to a lesser extent, of teaching.
Old July 31, 2007, 10:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Just don't like Mondays. Hate to wake up early.
Old July 31, 2007, 11:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Shaad bhai, there must be something in Biology that is intriguing.... I know couple of people who share your sentiments regarding their work....

I have a relative who is an assistant professor of biochemistry and has a lab to run, speaks of how he is greatful to get involved into this "interesting" field.....he says "taka kom kintu moja onek"

I reply "ami taka chai, tarpor moja kinna nimu" :p

btw monday, saturday or wahtever day makes no diff to me... cuz I am BEKAR.. (hides face in shame)

oh I forgot to ask, can I get a job in your lab? I only know how to wash the glassware and autoclave buffer solutions... haha! That is my skill level after 4 years of education.

Last edited by Orpheus; July 31, 2007 at 11:05 PM..
Old July 31, 2007, 11:42 PM
Cricket Legend

I am having a deja vu... For some reason, I get the feeling I wrote something similar to the above post in the past.. hmmm
Old July 31, 2007, 11:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
S.he says "taka kom kintu moja onek"

I reply "ami taka chai, tarpor moja kinna nimu" :p

Old July 31, 2007, 11:57 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
That is my skill level after 4 years of education.
In what level bhaijan? Kintergarden? Middle school? High School? College? University?
Old August 1, 2007, 12:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
In what level bhaijan? Kintergarden? Middle school? High School? College? University?
Bhaijan, jaiga moto dhorchen. Skill level dekhle to mone hoi kindergarten...kintu sheita shesh korte jodi 4 years laage, taile to lojjar kotha...
Old August 1, 2007, 12:48 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Bhaijan, jaiga moto dhorchen. Skill level dekhle to mone hoi kindergarten...kintu sheita shesh korte jodi 4 years laage, taile to lojjar kotha...
Aray bhai, lojjar ki ache. Adu bhai thakte lojjar ki ache?
Old August 1, 2007, 05:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
Just don't like Mondays. Hate to wake up early.
i hate to wake up early everyday
Old August 1, 2007, 05:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
what lojja?

we have an inbuilt sense of mockery built into our bloodstream as bengalis. we seem to think that there is some ideal level of accomplishment out there and each and every other bengali must aspire and achieve based on those presupposed benchmarks. this is ludicrous. the truth is that there are different learning techniques, different types of intelligence and skillsets. you should work at your own pace, achieve whatever that only your heart sets upon achieving.

the greatest achievement as a human being is to learn humility. you already have plenty of that compared to many others. so just be proud of yourself. there is no shame in who you are, where you come from, what you have achieved and what you will achieve tomorrow.

i had worked beind bars for six years of my life, worked on most jobs available within a nightclub, worked as a shop assistant, retail trainer, local government, ran market stalls, ran my own internet business, worked in and had been an integral part of acedemia, worked as a consultant on internet development, worked as a wedding photographer's assistant, worked as a cleaner in a major stadium to clear out rubbish after mathces and events, worked as a cashier, worked in street level promotions, worked in army barracks as a dishcleaner.. and now back in academia as well as working freelance as a writer and ocassional internet business development consultant.

if such diversity of career had taught me anything it is that you often find gems in the street, in the most neglected and unpriviledged of surroundings that shine far brighter than smoothly buffed up jewels of industry, finance and academia. this is what makes humanity and the human being so interesting and varied. this is why, i think, 'the meek shall inherit the earth'.

what lojja!
Old August 1, 2007, 06:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Going off at a slight tangent to what Puck wrote, I would certainly recommend taking a year off after college, working at some job in the "real" world, before coming back to say, grad school or med school. I think it provides some much needed perspective. Unfortunately, many of us (including me), who come to the US on F-1 visas, simply don't have or never had that luxury.

Orphy, taa shotteo tumi Ma Babar Bekar Shontan degree-ta jogar korle na

Last edited by shaad; August 1, 2007 at 06:19 AM..
Old August 1, 2007, 07:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Orphy, taa shotteo tumi Ma Babar Bekar Shontan degree-ta jogar korle na
Shaad bhai "Bekar" word ta underline korar ki dorkar chilo? Emnei onek koste achi. Apni ki mone korchen underline na korle ami word ta dekhbo na? Man, apni amar left ventricle ta futa koira dilen.

My GF (I take money from her) tells me "I feel like the man in this relationship". To which I reply "And I feel gay". Pretending it was a funny, my type of response, I spent rest of the day trying to cover up my real emotion, which was burning at 373 kelvin inside me. How can I, being the superior sex, tolerate this humiliation?

That night, my rebellious self kicked in. I planned out the how I will get up early next morning and take matters into my own hand like a man. Next day, I woke up at 5am in the morning as a new determined man and decided to .... sleep again cuz I woke up too damn early.
Old August 1, 2007, 07:16 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

i hate tuesdays sometimes...
its called eki tuesday..if u know what it means...
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 1, 2007, 07:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

You'll love Monday if you love your job/school. Otherwise no.
Old August 1, 2007, 07:56 AM
Cricket Legend

[QUOTE=Orpheus;521745] How can I, being the superior sex, tolerate this humiliation?

QUOTE]

it appears that i was wrong in my earlier estimation of your humility.

you can tolerate your humiliation by not thinking of yourself as the superior sex but all sexes being equal. once you learn to think that way there would not be any humiliation!
Old August 1, 2007, 08:07 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I don't dislike Monday. As I am working in R&D, for me every morning is different. Don't have any extra preference except Friday evening. I have a lot of flexibility in my job. Like Rubu, I also have deadline and I can work from home as well. Most important thing is we don't have any specific 9-5 time table.All I need is good mindset to contentrate on my research work.

Old August 1, 2007, 08:23 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

I never had issues with Mondays when I was a workaholic on a binge for a F500 company in corporate America. Now in recovery, I find Mondays (Tuesday in the BD context) tend to drag more than Sundays (Monday in the BD context). Thursdays (Friay in the BD context) are always too short. Tours to rural Bangladesh and Northern Thailand liberate me fron the cycle.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old August 1, 2007, 08:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Orphy, ei thread-ei agey bolechhilam na, kichhu kichhu manush "rainbow's end" khuje peye shei "rainbow's end"-ke biye kore boshey. Tumi to dekhchhi shei pothay already paa diyechho. Eta te ar lojjar ki? Ghorjamai is, after all, an ancient profession in our culture.

Seriously though, I know many grad students and med students who were partially dependent on their spouse's/significant other's income. Unless you are one of those fellows who gives her a chhyack (I knew several med students/business students who did this; see starter wife and starter marriages) once you start minting money, it's nothing to be concerned about.

Puck, I'm sure Orphy's comments are tongue-in-cheek.

BTW, the "Ma Babar Bekar Shontan" was a humorous play on the MBBS (medical degree in Bangladesh) when I was a kid.