facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 25, 2019, 01:36 AM
Banned

Default What are Bangladesh's chances of making the semifinals of the 2019 World Cup?

Cricket World Cup 2019 is ready to start from 30th May in England.
I expect the usual suspects to qualify. The top four will come from Australia, India, England, South Africa, Pakistan and maybe New Zealand. I don’t think any of the others can perform consistently well enough in this format, and consistency is the name of the game.

Strength in depth in the squad will be a factor too.

There will be upsets, but they won’t alter the final outcome.

Bangladesh are not a bad team, but their chances of making it to the last four of this competition are very, very, slim. I’ll happily be wrong, I’d love to see one of the less favoured teams go well. It would be good for the game in World cup 2019!

Last edited by ahnaf; April 26, 2019 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: removing link

Old April 25, 2019, 01:52 AM
Cricket Legend

If I am realistic, very unlikely that we will play in the semi.

I will be happy if we can beat PAK, SL, AFG, and may be WI. And shommanjonok fight against other teams. Anything above will be bonus. Anything less will be hurtful.
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Old April 25, 2019, 02:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by akirti4au
Cricket World Cup 2019 is ready to start from 30th May in England. And Now this for Prediction experts starts prediction about cricket world cup 2019.
I expect the usual suspects to qualify. The top four will come from Australia, India, England, South Africa, Pakistan and maybe New Zealand. I don’t think any of the others can perform consistently well enough in this format, and consistency is the name of the game.

Strength in depth in the squad will be a factor too.

There will be upsets, but they won’t alter the final outcome.

Bangladesh are not a bad team, but their chances of making it to the last four of this competition are very, very, slim. I’ll happily be wrong, I’d love to see one of the less favoured teams go well. It would be good for the game in World cup 2019!
I will be very surprised if Pakistan make the semi finals, they are one of the weaker teams. Even WI won a CT in 2003/04 over the great Australian team, cannot judge world cup performance based on CT.
Old April 25, 2019, 04:06 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: sarkar

Why not?

Barring India, Australia and SA, everybody else is fair game. 50:50 on a good day.

I wouldn’t excuse NZ or ENG from defeat either. They have lost to Bangladesh on the big stage regardless of the odi bilateral series results. True they are doing extremely well but they are not above it.

AFG & SL will be dog fights. You either beat them down or they will bite you.

WI is WI. Hot or cold. Maybe they turn up cold that one match.

And if none of it works, I will take that 1/9 victory against PAK. After that who wins, don’t care.
Old April 25, 2019, 04:23 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

in 2010 after we whitewashed NZ, everyone in this forum was talking about winning the WC since it was in asia. I argued at that time that "this core of players(shakib,tamim,mushfik) are still too raw to bring the WC, we should not expect much, we can expect good things in 2015 as they will be more mature and in 2019 we can hope to win as they will be at prime of their carrier with potentially new talents aiding them"

2015 was quite close to what I though but 2019 might be the complete opposite..
Old April 25, 2019, 05:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
... but 2019 might be the complete opposite..
Because our players do not believe they can. Rather they believe, if everything and everyone clicks, then only they can.

AFG will probably exceed expectation because they belong to the former category. Ours will probably be below expectation because we belong to the latter.
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Old April 25, 2019, 05:42 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFair
Because our players do not believe they can. Rather they believe, if everything and everyone clicks, then only they can.

AFG will probably exceed expectation because they belong to the former category. Ours will probably be below expectation because we belong to the latter.
we were hurried in cricket world ages before we were ready. As a result we were punching bags for all other teams..little toddler like us were gut punched so hard by the grown ups that it is still felt by the current players.

On the other hand Afg came into the cricketing world in proper manner..they played with other toddlers, learned to win regularly and punched their way into big boys..now even here they are not alone..they have another team of their age to play with..

winning creates winner mentality and this helped afg a lot where our generation of players cant dream as the old scars are still there and those scars are in their way of saying We can..i wont blame them..as a fan of that gut punch era..i am also afraid to say We can
Old April 25, 2019, 05:53 AM
Cricket Legend

This generation of our core players might be too old by the time the next world cup comes around and will have lost their touch by then.

This is probably their last chance to make an impact in a World Cup that will be remembered for many years to come. So we are into their Endgame now
Old April 25, 2019, 08:42 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Akriti'rey ban koro. Prediction webnsite'er ad ditey aisey eikhaney. Mods? IP address dekhley thik'i bair hoiye jabey - kay ei cheese.

Jao rasta mapo.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; April 25, 2019 at 12:58 PM..
Old April 25, 2019, 09:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
we were hurried in cricket world ages before we were ready. As a result we were punching bags for all other teams..little toddler like us were gut punched so hard by the grown ups that it is still felt by the current players.

On the other hand Afg came into the cricketing world in proper manner..they played with other toddlers, learned to win regularly and punched their way into big boys..now even here they are not alone..they have another team of their age to play with..

winning creates winner mentality and this helped afg a lot where our generation of players cant dream as the old scars are still there and those scars are in their way of saying We can..i wont blame them..as a fan of that gut punch era..i am also afraid to say We can
Spot on observation!

Being a fan who experienced those gut wrenching years, I too have tough time mustering the courage and say WE CAN

Those scars go way deeper than we think
Old April 25, 2019, 11:41 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

We can beat any of the 9 teams on our day. We can also lose to any of them on our day. 6 wins should guarantee a semifinal spot. 5 wins and you will need NRR most likely. BD will have their work cut out if they are to win 5 games.

Semifinals are possible, but unlikely. I give us a 10% chance.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 25, 2019, 01:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Smog, rain, dew, wind, wet outfield, human error all will come into play
Old April 25, 2019, 05:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
We can beat any of the 9 teams on our day. We can also lose to any of them on our day. 6 wins should guarantee a semifinal spot. 5 wins and you will need NRR most likely. BD will have their work cut out if they are to win 5 games.

Semifinals are possible, but unlikely. I give us a 10% chance.
You're giving our team too much credit my friend. We will be lucky to win more than 3, let alone 5-6. Can't see seniors perform in every single matches. Juniors, less said the better. However, am ok with 8 losses and 1 win against PAK lol
Old April 26, 2019, 04:46 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla
You're giving our team too much credit my friend. We will be lucky to win more than 3, let alone 5-6. Can't see seniors perform in every single matches. Juniors, less said the better. However, am ok with 8 losses and 1 win against PAK lol
If we have a full strength side, We are better than Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, and West Indies. We are on par with Pakistan or just behind them.

BD fans need to have more faith in the side. We have world class batsman in Tamim and Mushfiq who are as good as anyone in world cricket except Kohli. And on his day Mushy can do whatever Kholi can.

Winning just 3 games will be a massive failure.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 26, 2019, 08:23 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

We SHOULD beat either Eng or NZ and beat all four above.

Fancy our chances against Aus and to beat the chokers like 2007 we need them to choke.

India will be too hot unlike Asia cup.
Old April 27, 2019, 02:08 AM
Cricket Legend

The fact we have discussions on if BD can make the semi finals both here and in other forums tells us the team is capable of it , you won't see threads on Sri Lanka , WI or Afghanistan making semi finals this world cup.
Old April 27, 2019, 04:16 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

It all depends on team selection and a lot of luck.

We should not play Mehedi Hassan. Playing Liton and Mossadek is also handicapping the team. If we play Shabbir he can play a better role than Liton imo opening.
Old April 27, 2019, 08:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
If we have a full strength side, We are better than Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, and West Indies. We are on par with Pakistan or just behind them.

BD fans need to have more faith in the side. We have world class batsman in Tamim and Mushfiq who are as good as anyone in world cricket except Kohli. And on his day Mushy can do whatever Kholi can.

I'd say it's more like we're better than Sri Lanka and Pakistan. On par with windies and Afghanistan, but will likely be overpowered by them on English flat decks.
Old April 27, 2019, 09:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Our strength last few years has been our bowling. It was never really our batting. We have the batting talent, just no temperament. And on English flatdecks, it seems unlikely we can outbat our oppositions 5 out of 9 times.
Old April 27, 2019, 09:57 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king
I'd say it's more like we're better than Sri Lanka and Pakistan. On par with windies and Afghanistan, but will likely be overpowered by them on English flat decks.
We are on par with Afghanistan in T20s. In ODIs we are a vastly superior side. Afghans scored 280 in a T20, but couldn't even come close to that score in ODIs vs the same bowling attack.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 27, 2019, 05:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

There is no doubt that we can win against stronger teams on our day but the problem with that statememnt is majority of the wins are because of the contributions of the seniors. Every single seniors needs to be on "Their day" everyday to make it to semi-final. Even then, that might not be enough.
Old April 27, 2019, 07:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Bangladesh can beat any team but not if on that day the opposition also play their best, there are certain teams which at their best are just too good for this BD unit. Also add that this BD unit is vulnerable to lesser teams if they have a good day because this BD unit is prone to bad days itself.

Problem is all the seniors have to align, might need a junior bat to do well also plus the bowling has to line up and have a great day. You’ve got teams like India, England and South Africa who can push towards 400 for a total.
Old April 27, 2019, 10:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
What are Bangladesh's chances of making the semifinals of the 2019 World Cup?
I would say 1%.
Old April 27, 2019, 11:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

I think we will lose all 9 games and it wont be surprising.

I see the Afghan game going till the last over with us bottling it.
Old April 28, 2019, 12:53 AM
Cricket Legend

What is with the pessimism in this forum? One would think we are entering this tournament through the qualifiers as the 10th ranked team seeing some of the negative posts