facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 13, 2013, 04:39 AM
MHRAM MHRAM is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 30, 2013
Favorite Player: Tendo, Shakib, Gilchrist
Posts: 2,238
Default Final innigns approach? Being circumspect or negative mindset?

Which one is it?

I would go for the latter. A flat deck, ordinary opposition bowling unit and only 45 overs left! We could have gone for it
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old October 13, 2013, 04:55 AM
Zeeshan's Avatar
Zeeshan Zeeshan is offline
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: March 9, 2008
Posts: 25,593

Technically we won. LOL... Mominul 180, Gazi 100 and hat-trick (who will most likely get the MOM if not shared)... but guess we have to swallow our ego, pride and passion and take the draw for now.
__________________
The guy you hit? If he got a look at the plates, it won't even take that long. There's no play here. There's no angle, there's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 13, 2013, 04:55 AM
Moh899's Avatar
Moh899 Moh899 is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: August 4, 2012
Location: n.y.c
Favorite Player: shakib al hasan
Posts: 905

Sarajibon to r safely khela jay na. Chance thakle nitehoy.
__________________
stop making so little seem so big! stop being complacent.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 13, 2013, 04:57 AM
Jadukor's Avatar
Jadukor Jadukor is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: October 17, 2010
Location: Bangkok
Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara
Posts: 6,877

I would have liked Tamim to have a go while Anamul plays anchor and perhaps promoted somebody like Gazi to have a go as well ahead of Marshall. If two wickets fell in pursuit of runs I would have asked Marshall, Nasir, Shakib, Mushfiq to block out 30 odd overs for a draw
__________________
Char Chokka Hoi Hoi... Orange Juice Pamu Koi?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 13, 2013, 05:03 AM
Nasif's Avatar
Nasif Nasif is offline
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development
 
Join Date: October 4, 2002
Location: USA
Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza
Posts: 8,660

Half way there 128
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 13, 2013, 05:28 AM
MHRAM MHRAM is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 30, 2013
Favorite Player: Tendo, Shakib, Gilchrist
Posts: 2,238

I dont mind trying to stay in the wicket but what Tamim, anamul and ayub did was a bit too much.

No one ever said, hit a boundary over. No intent to rotate the strike and tamim as a senior should know better than anyone.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 13, 2013, 06:05 AM
Naimul_Hd's Avatar
Naimul_Hd Naimul_Hd is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: October 18, 2008
Location: Global City of Australia
Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe
Posts: 13,382

Almost same scenario against WI last time. BD needed 245 runs in 50 odd overs. Our batsmen played like crazy frogs and ended up losing the match by 70 odd runs. May be this time Tamim and Anamul could have taken the chance since NZ bowlers are not as good as WI bowlers and the pitch was still good for 5 day. But anyway, lots of positives to take for Bangladesh in this test match. I am personally happy with the effort of our boys. Now please make SNBS pitch a spinning one and let our spinners do their job
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 13, 2013, 06:15 AM
cricheart's Avatar
cricheart cricheart is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 2, 2012
Location: Haowa Bhaban
Favorite Player: Any smart *** spot fixers
Posts: 1,592

To play for the crowd, those days are long passed.
I like the realistic optimism in mindset and game plan for this test for BD. Maybe in next matches they will grow few balls, overcome this fear of loosing matches. Neway this is much better result than last immediate Zim series.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 13, 2013, 06:25 AM
mij mij is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: September 21, 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
Almost same scenario against WI last time. BD needed 245 runs in 50 odd overs. Our batsmen played like crazy frogs and ended up losing the match by 70 odd runs. May be this time Tamim and Anamul could have taken the chance since NZ bowlers are not as good as WI bowlers and the pitch was still good for 5 day. But anyway, lots of positives to take for Bangladesh in this test match. I am personally happy with the effort of our boys. Now please make SNBS pitch a spinning one and let our spinners do their job

Nothing wrong with the mindset. thats the way should be played test match.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 13, 2013, 09:30 AM
Rubu's Avatar
Rubu Rubu is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: February 15, 2004
Location: Michigan
Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal
Posts: 8,198

This is test not odi. Once they start hitting out, nz may have set 9 men on the rope. Chance of a win gone.
__________________
সন্মানজনক পরাজয়ের চিন্তাটাই অসন্মানজনক
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 13, 2013, 05:09 PM
AsifTheManRahman's Avatar
AsifTheManRahman AsifTheManRahman is offline
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: February 12, 2004
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box
Posts: 27,675

Can't say I'm not a bit disappointed with the approach. The pitch was good and we were chasing 5 an over, not 8 an over. The miss against the West Indies and our historical inability to understand the difference between calculated aggression and brainless slogging, but it would have been nice if the top order had at least shown some intent. We have a relatively long batting order, so even if we had lost the top 3 cheaply, the others could have bogged down and ensured a draw. Yes, it's a Test match and yes, victories like this are unheard of, but the truth is chances like this are the best we'll likely get to win Test matches in the short term. When the team ranked above us is thrashing us and beating stronger sides, we need to take these chances unless we want to remain at the bottom of the table.

But instead, we saw a selfish top order playing to secure its place in the second Test. Shak had to come and show them how it's done.

But overall, this was a good game for us. Given another day or two, we would have bowled NZ out and won the match, so it's fair to say we dominated. It wasn't one of those drawn matches where you feel relieved that you ran out of time, but rather one that leaves you wondering what could have been and ruing the fact that this isn't the 18th century, when games were timeless.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old October 13, 2013, 08:40 PM
al Furqaan's Avatar
al Furqaan al Furqaan is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 18, 2004
Location: New York City
Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Posts: 20,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Can't say I'm not a bit disappointed with the approach. The pitch was good and we were chasing 5 an over, not 8 an over. The miss against the West Indies and our historical inability to understand the difference between calculated aggression and brainless slogging, but it would have been nice if the top order had at least shown some intent. We have a relatively long batting order, so even if we had lost the top 3 cheaply, the others could have bogged down and ensured a draw. Yes, it's a Test match and yes, victories like this are unheard of, but the truth is chances like this are the best we'll likely get to win Test matches in the short term. When the team ranked above us is thrashing us and beating stronger sides, we need to take these chances unless we want to remain at the bottom of the table.

But instead, we saw a selfish top order playing to secure its place in the second Test. Shak had to come and show them how it's done.

But overall, this was a good game for us. Given another day or two, we would have bowled NZ out and won the match, so it's fair to say we dominated. It wasn't one of those drawn matches where you feel relieved that you ran out of time, but rather one that leaves you wondering what could have been and ruing the fact that this isn't the 18th century, when games were timeless.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
With all due respect, thats reaching not for the cookie jar but rather a cookie on the top of the Empire State Building. This match had draw written all over it. We should have gone guns blazing for the win BEFORE the toss ie curators should have made a more spinning pitch. Its clear that on a spinning track Gazi would have puree'd the Kiwis into a smoothie while Sodhi, Martin, Williamson, and Razzak would have all gotten their asses handed to them. Since that didn't happen, nor was it the fault of the top order, they went for the safer alternative which was to draw this game.

A pair of draws, is still equal to 1-1 result and nets us 8 points taking us to 18.

We have to accept the fact that the combination of our pitches and weak seam attack means that ZIM are a "better" Test side than us. We can't simply deny that and scream and shout to beat South Africa 5-0 on a Durban greentop with the personnel that we have.

Hopefully we get a result in the Mirpur Test, but I'm predicting another high scoring draw. I'll be satisfied with that because when was the last time we drew a match let alone a series at home? Thats right, never!

But I'm not going to blame our players for things beyond their control. Dealing with our non-sporting wickets, umpires consistently robbing us (this Test was the first in the long time we didn't get shafted) are beyond our players' control. In the days of Ashraful and Bashar throwing wickets away, 99% of our misery was the fault of the players themselves, but not anymore.
__________________
Bangladesh is a stronger team with Shakib al Hasan.
Bangladesh is a stronger team without Shakib al Hasan.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old October 13, 2013, 09:14 PM
M.H.Rubel M.H.Rubel is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 18, 2009
Location: Dhaka
Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players
Posts: 5,578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
This is test not odi. Once they start hitting out, nz may have set 9 men on the rope. Chance of a win gone.
That is the point. NZ skipper knows its not possible to win thats why they declared to take a chance. Easily they could have set 9 fielders in the rope.y

Last edited by M.H.Rubel; October 16, 2013 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old October 13, 2013, 10:56 PM
M.H.Rubel M.H.Rubel is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: August 18, 2009
Location: Dhaka
Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players
Posts: 5,578

Quote:
দ্বিতীয় ইনিংসে বাংলাদেশ জেতার জন্য না খেলেই ভালো করেছে। বড় বেশি ঝুঁকির কাজ হয়ে যেত সেটি। দুই শর কাছাকাছি রান করে ফেললেও আমরা এখনো অত বড় দল হইনি যে এত অল্প সময়ে চতুর্থ ইনিংসে আড়াই শর বেশি রান তাড়া করে জিতে যাব। তার চেয়ে ভালো খেলে করা ড্রটাই আত্মবিশ্বাস বাড়াবে অনেক।
http://www.prothom-alo.com/sports/ar...পহার
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old October 13, 2013, 11:15 PM
MHRAM MHRAM is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 30, 2013
Favorite Player: Tendo, Shakib, Gilchrist
Posts: 2,238

sissy mentality
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old October 13, 2013, 11:35 PM
PoorFan PoorFan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: June 15, 2004
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 14,333

The ball were hardly coming on to bat, hardly bouncing above knee, it was a pitch good enough to bat on, but NOT to hit on all over the ground. Obviously they were batting on a 5th day evening TEST match, without field restriction, as well as bowling restriction, meaning they are not superhuman like many of us here. Be more practical on life guys, otherwise 'aam o jabe sala o jabe'.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old October 13, 2013, 11:47 PM
Zeeshan's Avatar
Zeeshan Zeeshan is offline
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: March 9, 2008
Posts: 25,593

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
The ball were hardly coming on to bat, hardly bouncing above knee, it was a pitch good enough to bat on, but NOT to hit on all over the ground. Obviously they were batting on a 5th day evening TEST match, without field restriction, as well as bowling restriction, meaning they are not superhuman like many of us here. Be more practical on life guys, otherwise 'aam o jabe sala o jabe'.
Yeah that's why ghar tera Shakib took the helm, and showed us how it's done?
__________________
The guy you hit? If he got a look at the plates, it won't even take that long. There's no play here. There's no angle, there's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old October 14, 2013, 12:20 AM
PoorFan PoorFan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: June 15, 2004
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 14,333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Yeah that's why ghar tera Shakib took the helm, and showed us how it's done?
Final 0.5 hour 'Shakib show' shows how it can be done for 2.5 hour before he was put in? There wouldnt be any Shakib helm without that 2.5 hour disgrace [if that is].
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old October 14, 2013, 12:39 AM
mij mij is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: September 21, 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,547

what shakib shown he can't show that every day you have to understand it's a test match not t20. You play different format with different mindset.

I am happy they played test match like test match not t20.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old October 14, 2013, 04:16 AM
Jonas's Avatar
Jonas Jonas is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 20, 2011
Location: Dhaka
Favorite Player: Freddie Flintoff
Posts: 295

We needed 256 off 45 overs. That's 5.68 runs per over on day 5. It's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to achieve in a test match. No team in the history of test match cricket has ever done anything like this. So I have no problem with us playing the way we did.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old October 16, 2013, 10:24 AM
AsifTheManRahman's Avatar
AsifTheManRahman AsifTheManRahman is offline
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: February 12, 2004
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box
Posts: 27,675

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
With all due respect, thats reaching not for the cookie jar but rather a cookie on the top of the Empire State Building.
If we aim for the top of the Empire State Building, maybe we'll at least get to the top of the jar. But I wasn't even implying that we would have won with a more positive frame of mind, I was just hoping the top order would have displayed a bit more positivity instead of going into a shell. A lot of things could have happened as a result - we could have lost three wickets, or Brendan could have spread the field out. But we could have crossed that bridge when we got there instead of making assumptions from the beginning. Ten overs of stroke play wouldn't and shouldn't have cost us the game, as we have the batting depth to pull off a draw on a dormant surface.

Anyways, it's not a huge deal, we still dominated and finished in style. But we need to start winning Tests, or we'll be #13 soon. Actually, without decent fast bowlers and batsmen who crap their pants at the very sight of a fast-medium (not medium-fast like Rubel) bowler, we probably already are.
__________________
Screw the IPL, I'm going to the MLC!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old October 16, 2013, 10:44 AM
RazabQ's Avatar
RazabQ RazabQ is offline
Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: February 25, 2004
Location: Fremont CA
Posts: 10,134

Asif,

Here's what I said in the match thread on the same: http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...postcount=2992
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old October 16, 2013, 11:03 AM
MHRAM MHRAM is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 30, 2013
Favorite Player: Tendo, Shakib, Gilchrist
Posts: 2,238

now what? someone going to mistake circumspect for circum something?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old October 16, 2013, 11:04 AM
AsifTheManRahman's Avatar
AsifTheManRahman AsifTheManRahman is offline
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: February 12, 2004
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box
Posts: 27,675

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
now what? someone going to mistake circumspect for circum something?
Wrong thread Moha ram bhai. Oops, you meant MHRAM.
__________________
Screw the IPL, I'm going to the MLC!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old October 16, 2013, 12:49 PM
tiger_omar's Avatar
tiger_omar tiger_omar is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 19, 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib
Posts: 2,387

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
The ball were hardly coming on to bat, hardly bouncing above knee, it was a pitch good enough to bat on, but NOT to hit on all over the ground. Obviously they were batting on a 5th day evening TEST match, without field restriction, as well as bowling restriction, meaning they are not superhuman like many of us here. Be more practical on life guys, otherwise 'aam o jabe sala o jabe'.
Completely agree, nice post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
If we aim for the top of the Empire State Building, maybe we'll at least get to the top of the jar. But I wasn't even implying that we would have won with a more positive frame of mind, I was just hoping the top order would have displayed a bit more positivity instead of going into a shell. A lot of things could have happened as a result - we could have lost three wickets, or Brendan could have spread the field out. But we could have crossed that bridge when we got there instead of making assumptions from the beginning. Ten overs of stroke play wouldn't and shouldn't have cost us the game, as we have the batting depth to pull off a draw on a dormant surface.
Asif bhai, I agree with the mentality "shoot for the moon, even if you miss it, you will land among the stars", but we landed among the stars without shooting for the moon, by getting a comprehensive draw.

The team is trying to groom successful Test cricket batsmen and I think it would be unfair to ask our young top order batsmen to go for broke, to maintain a R.R. of 5.68 in day 5 of a Test match. They played their natural game, and tried to build confidence for the next match, I am completely ok with this.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket