facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 18, 2011, 09:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
I too have had people walk up to me and start blurting out Spanish sentences on a few occasions in different parts of the USA.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Me too...:/
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]

Old July 18, 2011, 02:32 PM
Cricket Savant

Due to the super popularity of this thread, we are planning to come up with the Part II and III of the series:

1. your hilarious break-in/robbery encounters?
2. your laugh-out-loud stabbing encounters?

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old July 18, 2011, 07:50 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
1. your hilarious break-in/robbery encounters?
2. your laugh-out-loud stabbing encounters?
I have a feeling no one would be able to top this:

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nt-notice.html
Quote:
An extraordinary picture that has gone around the world of a knife plunged into the back of a woman mugging victim is genuine, it was revealed by doctors in Moscow tonight.

Julia Popova, 22, was stabbed by a mugger as she walked home from work one day last autumn - but she was so traumatised by the attack that she walked home without realising the knife was embedded in her, just a fraction of an inch from her spinal cord.
Old July 18, 2011, 09:03 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Ooohhh Razab da ...Ohhh ami tow faint hoe zacchi....
Old July 19, 2011, 09:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
Due to the super popularity of this thread, we are planning to come up with the Part II and III of the series:

1. your hilarious break-in/robbery encounters?2. your laugh-out-loud stabbing encounters?
my house got robbed once while i was in it. now that i look back, it's funny because one of those dacoits was holding a gun at my head but i still wnet on and on talking. bechara, etto frustrated hoye gesilo!
Old July 19, 2011, 10:01 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Now we need random white guys on the board ( if there are any ) to come with reverse racism stories. If you have been called a redneck, cracker, hillbilly, white devil etc..please stand up white guy/gal, and be counted.
Old November 28, 2011, 07:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Sorry to bump.

18+ only. It contains coarse language.

I could not find any other threads than this to share this outrageous video captured on a tram in UK. Its not funny though, apology.

Old November 28, 2011, 07:14 PM
Cricket Savant

I didn't even finish it. Do you know WHO is to partially blame? The bus driver. Here in US we had a racist guy threatening someone and the driver was smart enough to subtly call the cops at the next stop. Solve it rationally...
Old November 28, 2011, 07:23 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

I dont know about UK, but here in Aus, if you make any racist comment in public that offends any ethnic, you can be arrested too under Racial Discrimination Act 1975. Having said that, Australia is ranked among the top being a racist country.
Old November 28, 2011, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

That's bizarre, the video from the tram I mean.
Old November 28, 2011, 08:11 PM
Administrator

I wish they spoke 'English'; I could barely unnerstand anyfing in the video.
Old November 28, 2011, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

I haven't encountered any act of racism in the US (border security incidents notwithstanding) or Canada. My visits to Europe have been short, but I've found it remarkable how an almost monoracial population can be so tolerant and devoid of prejudice.

I've seen racism aplenty in Africa and Asia though.
Old November 28, 2011, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
Now we need random white guys on the board ( if there are any ) to come with reverse racism stories. If you have been called a redneck, cracker, hillbilly, white devil etc..please stand up white guy/gal, and be counted.
The father of my s/o is a redneck. When he cracks brown jokes at me, I get back at him by cracking white jokes at my s/o when he's not around. :P

He and I get along pretty well albeit his negative past experiences with Bangladeshis.
Old November 28, 2011, 08:34 PM

I havent faced racism in Canada ever! Nor in the US for the times that I've been there! Here in Aus, I have only once heard racist remarks about me being spoken to another third person (in a tram too!). The guys were young English white twenty-somethings. But I took quite a bit of guilty pleasure at their irritation over my(our) presence.

Re: what Naimul said, Australians officially, and for PC reasons do decry racism. But, the problem is that their threshold for what is offensive and unacceptable is quite loose. They will find it acceptable to cuss and swear, and use epithets liberally without finding it offensive. As a Canadian I find a lot of that casual usage/stereoptyping quite offensive, just that Australians themselves do not consider those things offensive or racist, and will often times colour such speech as "sense of humour"/"having a laugh".

I also feel that the average bloke in the Aussie streets are just not as aware or are ignorant of these nuances, as compared to say an average person in North America (because of North America's own cultural evolution as a melting pot society and the civil rights movement). Its therefore acceptable for Aussies to speak casually about "curry","lebs","wogs",etc and their customs without considering themselves to be racist. This is exhibited very popularly and commonly by the words and actions of the politicians, celebrities and media... and for me it was amusing at first and then became incredulously shallow when I come across such tripe on the media day in and day out.

Consider this ad: http://youtu.be/FftZt-Dw_hQ and see the comments. From an Aussie pov, the criticism it received as being racist is taken to be as 'lost in translation'. Which I can agree with as a cricket fan!
Old November 28, 2011, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Consider this ad: http://youtu.be/FftZt-Dw_hQ and see the comments. From an Aussie pov, the criticism it received as being racist is taken to be as 'lost in translation'. Which I can agree with as a cricket fan!
Holy, that's one racist ad! Lol.

The racist word that they have for Pakistanis in the UK is quite loosely used by Pakistanis themselves here in Canada, as you probably already know. Not that I'll hesitate to use the ban hammer if I see it in the forums, but I understand what you mean by things getting lost in translation.
Old November 28, 2011, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
The father of my s/o is a redneck. When he cracks brown jokes at me, I get back at him by cracking white jokes at my s/o when he's not around. :P

He and I get along pretty well albeit his negative past experiences with Bangladeshis.
Like Asif and so many others here - I have never encountered racism in the US. My in-laws are from the redneck capital of the USA - East Texas; I've never experienced anything but warmest hospitality from the layfolks all over town. No surly glances, no sneer at such a blatantand overt exhibition of 'miscegeny'. And mind you, these folks in town are as big as they get. My FIL, for example, is 6' 4" and 250lbs. I am 5' 6" and ***.

The one time I experienced racism was in Bangladesh. This was at Mirpur Zoo in the mid 70s and there was this white group who were visitinhg the zoo (yes, the zoo was still visitable at that time) and they were being followed by a group yelling comments like 'lal bandor' and other pejorative epithets.
Old November 28, 2011, 08:50 PM
Cricket Savant

EGAD....this thread is getting too serious. On topic fellas....on topic! FUNNY encounters..

I will go:

For my robotics class we had to exhibit to third graders so we went to this school. So after getting there first they hand me an envelope for itinerary. After I come to the gym my friends point out the name says: Kumar.

Poor superintendent unintended mistakenly assumed I must be Kumar seeing the only Indian name there. SMBL (i know strictly it's not racism but falls more under the genera of smbl perhaps?)
Old November 28, 2011, 09:01 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

^ That's quite interesting. When my family moved to New York City in 2000, our reception at JFK included a surly, aggressive Caucasian lady shouting "Go back to where you came from!"

The only other time I noticed any racism/racial prejudice while in NY, was for a while immediately post-9/11, when there was a call by some people in our neighborhood (Roosevelt Island) to destroy the local Turkish pizza place :S

For the past 3+ years in the UK, I've faced overt racism only a couple of times - and even that was usually coupled with a bizarre rant about students.
Old November 28, 2011, 09:08 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
EGAD....this thread is getting too serious. On topic fellas....on topic! FUNNY encounters..

I will go:

For my robotics class we had to exhibit to third graders so we went to this school. So after getting there first they hand me an envelope for itinerary. After I come to the gym my friends point out the name says: Kumar.

Poor superintendent unintended mistakenly assumed I must be Kumar seeing the only Indian name there. SMBL (i know strictly it's not racism but falls more under the genera of smbl perhaps?)
Sometime ago, I was having a conversation with two Italian friends. One surreptitiously turned to the other and said, I've just realized that I can say [insert 'n' word] now. The other, mildly shocked, said why?! He replied by gesturing towards me and saying, I thought you were allowed to use it if you had a black friend?
Old November 29, 2011, 06:07 PM
Club Cricketer

I got a fresh anecdote up my sleeve, which I am not sure whether qualifies for any of the modifiers "funny" or "racism". But this may go to show how we sometimes blur the line between lexicon and linguistic pragmatism.

This Thanksgiving weekend, on the way to Houston from Dallas, I kinda lost my way and got into the driveway of a restaurant to find someone to ask for directions. The restaurant had already been closed, but a couple of "African Americans" were doing some garden works, or that's how it looked like. I could see them gathering broken branches and that kind of stuff, but that's besides the point. I asked them for a certain highway, they gave me directions and I left.

Later into the weekend, from out of nowhere, my seven year old told me that she had thought the two guys, who gave us the directions, to be African, and that she had thought we were in Africa. Of course, my know-it-all eleven year old didn't miss this chance to crack a joke upon her sister, along with a nerve crunching and morale crushing cackle (a la Bujhee Kom). But I realized that my "pragmatized" ear pricked for a moment at her use of the word "African", until when I traced a sense adventure in her tone for being in the Africa. Don't we read too much into "words" sometimes?
Old November 29, 2011, 08:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Luckily I've never had to experience racism that much, so I'm fortunate. As a kid living in an all white neighborhood in Dallas, never to had to experience that crap. Although when we moved to Canada, while I was in grade4, we lived in a Jewish neighborhood for about a year, and geez was that a terrible year for me being one of the few Muslims in that school. I was the ONLY one in my class, and during the elementary years you usually only make friends within the classroom or you're a loner. I was a loner, and the kids all stayed away from, during recess I'd find a small group of brown kids playing soccer and would go join them. Then we moved, and now live in multicultural suburban area, pretty much everyone in my school from elementary throughout highschool did fine, except for the 'beefs' kids would have but no racist bs. Though we would tease each other for fun, or some kid calling someone the n-word as a jest.
Old November 29, 2011, 09:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
Luckily I've never had to experience racism that much, so I'm fortunate. As a kid living in an all white neighborhood in Dallas, never to had to experience that crap. Although when we moved to Canada, while I was in grade4, we lived in a Jewish neighborhood for about a year, and geez was that a terrible year for me being one of the few Muslims in that school. I was the ONLY one in my class, and during the elementary years you usually only make friends within the classroom or you're a loner. I was a loner, and the kids all stayed away from, during recess I'd find a small group of brown kids playing soccer and would go join them. Then we moved, and now live in multicultural suburban area, pretty much everyone in my school from elementary throughout highschool did fine, except for the 'beefs' kids would have but no racist bs. Though we would tease each other for fun, or some kid calling someone the n-word as a jest.
Don't we all know someone like that?

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old November 29, 2011, 11:50 PM
Cricket Guru

Although obviously teachers shouldn't be using that word at all to students, he did make a good point. Recently, maybe few months back, was reading a debate regarding the nature of the word and how it has evolved to uses more than just an insult but a mere slang word used between black people. Now, there are no laws on words that can be used solely by a specific ethnicity, but if blacks can use that word with each other, why is it so insulting if someone other than them say it, and not even an insulting way. You have non-blacks that rap using the n-word, but there isn't an uproar when it comes to them. Its like the word 'gay', once used to insult gay people, now people just use it to call someone being 'retarded', 'stupid', or someone doing something uncomfortable.
Old November 30, 2011, 07:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Don't we all know someone like that?

Haha I loved how this story was mocked in The Boondocks:
Old November 30, 2011, 07:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Never got the deal with the n-word in the US. Here in the UK it's not much of an issue but then again black people don't call each other "n-words" here in the first place.