facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 22, 2015, 10:53 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Champion
Default Has there ever been a METEORIC rise than Soumya Sarkar in Bangladesh Cricket?

Title says it all really. None has come to making a huge impact in their early days as Sarkar. None. The talent is UNREAL. Not Ashraful, Shakib, or Tamim.

The signature of WC was right. "Greatness is Contagious". And the world just witnessed one in Soumya Sarkar in 2015 WC. Champ and the Ace of BD !

Old April 22, 2015, 11:21 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of BD
Title says it all really. None has come to making a huge impact in their early days as Sarkar. None. The talent is UNREAL. Not Ashraful, Shakib, or Tamim.

The signature of WC was right. "Greatness is Contagious". And the world just witnessed one in Soumya Sarkar in 2015 WC. Champ and the Ace of BD !
Change your avatar from Shakib to SS then.

Wait till Liton bumps him from the opening slot to #3.
Old April 22, 2015, 11:33 AM
Test Cricketer

The amount of lives/half chances he got would make a cat proud. It was almost as if he didn't want to get a high score even though it was there for the taking. Long was to go for him and need to get the temperament right. But definitely has it in him to be someone to look for in the future.
Old April 22, 2015, 11:40 AM
MLC World Series I

Calm down!
Old April 22, 2015, 11:41 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasin.
The amount of lives/half chances he got would make a cat proud. It was almost as if he didn't want to get a high score even though it was there for the taking. Long was to go for him and need to get the temperament right. But definitely has it in him to be someone to look for in the future.
I was about to say the same thing. Sarkar does play classy shots, but still needs to work on his foot work. Hopefully he looks mature enough to improve.
Old April 22, 2015, 11:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Well he is an awesome talent alright, but still needs to work on his temperament. Credit to Hathuri for spotting him and asking for his inclusion in the team. As I have said before, he is the most eye pleasing batsman ever in BD cricket history.
Old April 22, 2015, 11:50 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

This is the problem, please don't portray him in this sense. He's from the new breed of Bangladesh’s players. Mominul is there , Shabbir as well, so to is Taskin
Old April 22, 2015, 11:52 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla

This is the way I view it:

The rise of Bangladesh
The fall of Sri Lanka

Insha'Allah I believe we can finally challenge India.
Old April 22, 2015, 11:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Don't expect Indians or Saffers to drop so many catches...
Old April 22, 2015, 12:00 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Don't expect Indians or Saffers to drop so many catches...
But Australians would. Luck favors the brave.
Old April 22, 2015, 12:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Really? I have seen some folks with better start. Soumya has 1 century and one 50 in 12 matches. That is 10 matches where he failed to get a decent score despite opening/batting at no.3

But he is a keeper. Hope we keeps working hard. Oh, his fielding is just top class.
Old April 22, 2015, 01:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
Really? I have seen some folks with better start. Soumya has 1 century and one 50 in 12 matches. That is 10 matches where he failed to get a decent score despite opening/batting at no.3

But he is a keeper. Hope we keeps working hard. Oh, his fielding is just top class.
Exactly! I don't think anybody had an impact on BD cricket like the way Tamim did. The arrogance and bravado he showed in that early age was heart warming. We all saw how he fell from there though. Hopefully that will not happen to Somya.
Old April 22, 2015, 01:33 PM
Cricket Legend

I don't see Soumya as arrogant. He seems very humble, down to earth with a smile always. He is a bit aggressive in nature but that is all good. The best thing about him is he knows when to charge the bowlers or to follow the aerial route. No doubt that he has both class in him, as well as the ability to hit down the ground and clear the boundaries with EASE. Now no other bangladeshi opener till date has that ability. So yes, Soumya is a definite keeper. But i have doubts over his ability as a test batsman.
Old April 22, 2015, 01:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

KDPP thread.
Old April 22, 2015, 01:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
IThe best thing about him is he knows when to charge the bowlers or to follow the aerial route.
Not sure I agree with that; otherwise he would have scored a lot more due to the class his got. His main problem is shot selection....not execution. Take the way he got out against NZ in WC. After playing so brilliantly he took the aerial route at a time that was not needed.
Old April 22, 2015, 02:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
Not sure I agree with that; otherwise he would have scored a lot more due to the class his got. His main problem is shot selection....not execution. Take the way he got out against NZ in WC. After playing so brilliantly he took the aerial route at a time that was not needed.
Well if he had struck it cleanly we would have all praised him!

Obviously, Vettori being a SLA it was okay for SS to go after him. At that point, BD made a very good recovery and SS had the option to go. Remember he was batting alongside Riad who anchors the innings and also scored a century just before. SS had to be the aggressor and I don't see any harm in attacking a SLA on a stadium with relatively smaller boundaries.
Old April 22, 2015, 02:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Every one has their opinions. Each to his own. You may not agree, but take in what they have to say. But, not criticise them. Afterall each one has its own opinion.

Im my opinion Tamim, had the best start, as he changed the way we played, he made us believe that we can take teams apart from word go. His dancing down the track and successfully hitting them 6s (in 2007 wc) fearless taking apart Indian bowlers was so refreshing at that time for us.

But, no denying, Soumya has had a very good start; he is fearless, classy, tall, plays with such authority and dominance - absolute great to watch.
Old April 22, 2015, 02:21 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Not taking anything away from Soumya but Tamim had the most emphatic entry. Nasir started very well too with some huge match winning performances. Anamul was good with some 100s very early in career. While Mominul fired up the test scene and still has the steak of scoring 50+ in every Test he played..
Old April 22, 2015, 02:32 PM
Cricket Savant

Sabbir shows class too. The audacity to kill a bowler's confidence...cannot be learned.
Old April 22, 2015, 03:06 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

কেও জিয়ার কথা বললো না , কি অকৃতজ্ঞ আমরা
Old April 22, 2015, 03:35 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
কেও জিয়ার কথা বললো না , কি অকৃতজ্ঞ আমরা
nazimuddin ........
Old April 22, 2015, 04:56 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Heaps start off well, anamul has a good record, got centuries early, we'll see if he can keep it up, we've got anamul and litton waiting around so it's basically perform or be replaced, competition is great atm.
Old April 22, 2015, 05:07 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

i suggest you take less caffeine
Old April 22, 2015, 05:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Brilliant innings but must corrects his tendancy to plays aerial shot, otherway he won't last in international level
Old April 22, 2015, 06:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Interesting view point from different fans....here is my two cents:

- Yes he got some life, but who didn't? how many times we see flawless century? Its not about whether he got life or not, its more about what you do with your innings after you get a break.

- Yes he has just one century and one half century in 10 tries... but then he has an average of 39.9 and a SR of 96. How many players in our team have that? His SR of 96 is insane in Bangladeshi standard. That's make him a very special prospect. Only Sabbir has 106 SR. We need more of these type of batsman in our ODI team.

- Some players make their partner's life easier and some players make their partner's life harder. Sabbir and Sarkar falls in the 1st group and Imrul, Riyad (of old), Anamul (mostly) falls in the the other group.

- Yes Sarkar has some technical flaws and weakness against certain type of deliveries, but compares that with our other young batsmans (past and present) and compared that with our other experienced players (when they were young) , he is far ahead in this area. Have seen Anamul and have seen him playing...footwork wise one is in the South and one is in the North...they are in completely two different spectrum.... no point comparing them.

- Before Sarkar came we had weakness in #1, #2 and #3 slots. After Sarkar started, even he didn't get the too many runs, suddenly #3 didn't looked like a weak point. The same thing happened when he is moved to #2. Now suddenly opening slot looks like a strength rather than a weak point and now #3 slot became the only weak point. We used to have hard time crossing 250. Now all of a sudden 300 looks like a regular target for us. Why is that? Is it a co-incidence? or Sarkar is one of the few contributing factor?

- Suddenly we really started to take advantage of first 10 overs of power play. Regardless how much run SS is currently getting, he is instrumental for this success. That makes life easier to our talented middle order...no lmore they need to fix other people's mess (inherit low RR), now they can play without fear and target further i.e. 300+.

- In ODI and flat wicket, Aerial shots are not that bad, it all depends when you are doing that, where you are doing that, and how you are doing that. Sometimes you need to counter attack and sometimes you need to take advantage of PP and field position and sometimes you need to do that based of team's need. Players like Sabbir, SS, Sakib, Mushfiq and (back from past) Tamim and hopefully Litton makes this batting order explosive, a modern day dynamic ODI team.

- In ODI cricket, you need good fielding. SS is an excellent fielder.

- SS is a breath of fresh air out of nowwhere, that's why his impact is so stunning and welcoming to me.

- What we have seen, is just the beginning. Sky is the limit for SS.

- And no, in short run there will be NO competition that SS need to worry. What SS need to worry is concentrate and slowly improve... the coach has confidence in him... the captain has confidence in him... some of the fans (like me) has confidence in him...now with the century and average he has build a good buffer to nullify all these "drop SS" pressure.. ... this century has provided him more than a mere century... now he knows what it takes to build a innings.

So if you are a fan already, that's great !!! If you are not, that's ok. But don't discount him yet...give him some time.... I promise you he will not disappoint you. i have that much confidence in him.