facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 30, 2009, 11:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones
Default Is Shakib the “Ice Man” or really hot headed? Is that good or bad?

I'm sure everyone who followed the series on TV have seen how much emotional out burst Shakib shows on the ground.

I especially remember him getting super mad at himself in the 1st onedayer where after getting out trying to scoop Roach over fine leg he almost threw the bat up in the air…then the worst of them all came in the same match when a short square leg fielder (not sure who it was, either Rakibul or Naeem) threw the ball a little wider of the stumps trying to get a run out, Shakib was so livid that he attempted to throw the ball back at the fielder in anger. He was also yelling at Riyadh for not able to get to a catch of his bowling in the 2nd test.

I know he is a good player and leading the team from the front…..but I’m not sure if all of these emotional out bursts on the field are good for the team. But who knows….may be this is exactly what our team needs…..the fear of the captain.

If carrot doesn’t work….then stick might do the job.

What do you guys think?

Old July 30, 2009, 11:19 AM
First Class Cricketer

HE is 100 % HOT HEADED....WITH A LOT OF EGO..BUT THTS WHT BANGLADESH NEED AT THE MOMENT
Old July 30, 2009, 11:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Emotional outbursts are not good, Period. However, there's a difference between the outburst on himself and others. If it's on himself, that's actually perfect. Because that proves how frustrated he was with himself for the mess...but a captain (stricly my opinion of course) shouldn't show such anger by throwing the ball back at the fielder.

But then...if the captain and his team mates have a special understanding, then anything works. It just makes the players try harder next time I suppose.
Old July 30, 2009, 11:39 AM
Cricket Guru

I smell something might be coming up to destroy the team bonding for revenge...we are well known for our retaliative attitude.
Old July 30, 2009, 11:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Ummm, I just couldn't manage to see Shakib's face in any of the two main incidents; i) the ball-throwing ii) towards Ash after getting out....but initially I thought he was joking with Raqibul/Naeem whoever threw the ball waywardly, from the side it looked like he was smiling and just doing an ONUJOG (not OBHIJOG) to the fielder. Also I missed the Ash incident, but found out he was really livid, but that's acceptable given the circumstances. However, if in the ball-throwing one and the other cases he really showed proper outburst, then it's something worrying. Coz he has to really make sure that he doesn't lose the respect of his team members. However, it would be good if the other team members accept him as a true leader and don't react to all of his animated expressions and stuff. That would bring some kinda discipline in the team that there's at least one who'll ask for accounts of any type of mistakes. But, still; Shakib should never let his cool go away, even when he's angry.
Old July 30, 2009, 11:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

according to me a benoveloent Dictator is the best for a country, but it is impossible to find one. And plus kotha ase na, mair r upor oshud nai.
different captains have different methods to bring the best out of the players, maybe this is the shakib way, and i see nothing wrong.
first of all, im not sure whether he was actually that mad at rakibul for the run out throw.... i think it was more of a joke
then, the ashraful case,at that point of the game, i felt Ash and Shakib would bring the game home, but the way Ash threw his wicket....was ridicilous. And as a captain he has the right to show some anger
[stirctly my opinion]
Old July 30, 2009, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

He wants to win; if someone else doesn't they know where the door is.
Old July 30, 2009, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshideshi
according to me a benoveloent Dictator is the best for a country
Thank you thank you thank you. At least one other being on this board understands the virtue of dictatorship. Faizlami korle *whip* kora hobe.
Old July 30, 2009, 12:12 PM
Test Cricketer

baker bhai natoke ekta dialogue chilo classic, "mairer upor osudh nai"....i think its good actually...best medicine prescribed by the doctor....good job shakib for not being soft...
Old July 30, 2009, 12:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

You need ice to cool a hot head. So, both..
Old July 30, 2009, 12:18 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I only wish Jennings was our head guy. Not this putuputu, chuma chuma coaching. Both with jali beth in their hands, on and off the field would take us to #1.
Quote:
Thank you thank you thank you. At least one other being on this board
This is a much better signature quote than "Mar Ashrafuillah mar". Like FaltuRB's "jaihok, .... dhonnobad".
Old July 30, 2009, 12:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Thank you thank you thank you. At least one other being on this board understands the virtue of dictatorship. Faizlami korle *whip* kora hobe.
ATMR's just jealous of kids who never got beaten up by parents.

File photo of ATMR.

Old July 30, 2009, 12:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

Don't fix what aint broke. Give players there space, don't over-scrutinize. Live and let die.
Old July 30, 2009, 12:37 PM

Hot head he is. But with passion. I was watching him walk to his bowler's marker, getting ready for the run up when he was sort-of dancing and making animated movements with his arms and body.

He was visualising and acting out in his mind the batsman's moves and how he should bowl the next delivery! I tell you, Ice Man or Hot Head, he's thoroughly involved in his game. How consistently do you see that from our players?

He genuinely was pissed at Raquibul for fielding, and missing the catch; disappointed with Ashraful's shot as well! We need that now, and I guess he can get away with it since he's basically captaining the U-19 team that he was in! But then once upon a time we had a captain called Pilot, and another hot-head Mohammed Rafique.
Old July 30, 2009, 12:41 PM
BC Editorial Team

Hot-headed and successful : passionate, perfectionist

Hot-headed failure : short-tempered, arrogant, not a team-man
Old July 30, 2009, 12:56 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin
Hot-headed and successful : passionate, perfectionist

Hot-headed failure : short-tempered, arrogant, not a team-man
Old July 30, 2009, 01:13 PM
Banned

Calling Shakib hot-headed is not proper, in my opinion. He is indeed the Ice Man when it comes to getting the job done. If he shows emotion while taking a wicket or after getting out, that is natural. In cricketing context, getting out playing rash shots, or sending down 6 short deliveries like Shahadat, this I would consider "hot-headedness."

Now, for those of you that think Shakib as hot-headed, I ask you to take a second look at his innings of 96 against Sri Lanka. Better yet, take a look at the end of the 2nd Test innings against WI, where he finished it off with a six.

He didn't hit it because it was our nemesis Roach doing the bowling, or, that he wanted to finish it off "in style". The ball was there to be hit, pitched up, with enough lift for a hard straight drive. Now,watch Shakib's reaction after the hit. He calmly observes the ball, flying over the heads of the long off fielders, until it reaches the border. After the signal for six, he calmly takes his gloves off.

You could tell that he was taking the gloves off, because they were no longer needed. Not because he had to delve in to a wild celebration for the biggest win in his career. This guy is a cool customer.
Old July 30, 2009, 01:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

It was the first time I have seen him showing his dissent towards himself and others on the field. personally, I was a bit surprised because he NEVER showed his emotions in any of the matches i have seen him play for the last 4-5 years since debut. But I think it happenedthis time because of the stress and the excitement around him. But he is mostly very composed when playing himself. Off the field, he has been giving credit to his team every time and didnt critize anyone.
Every captain is different.. Shujon was also very animated captain himself but was also the leader. Saqib is still 22 years old and the emotions/frustrations will get him sometimes. Surely, he will be looking into the videos of the matches and realize himself. He will get more coaching around captain's responsibility by the board as Jalal Yunus mentioned that he will be most likely be retained as the captain. I hope that he does restrain himself from showing anger and frustrations towards his hard working team mates,,, especially the key senior players like Ashraful/Mashrafee/Razzaque etc.
Old July 30, 2009, 01:28 PM
Cricket Legend

This is called ruthlessly focused on success.

The ingredients are -
1) Skill
2) No tolerance for mediocrity
3) Ambition and single-minded focus on success
4) Passion

If it was Bashar in place of Shakib, I'm sure he wouldn't have most of those outbursts. Would you like Bashar as captain instead of Shakib?

Betaar er taar chhera.
Old July 30, 2009, 01:31 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara & Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purbasha T
Ummm, I just couldn't manage to see Shakib's face in any of the two main incidents; i) the ball-throwing ii) towards Ash after getting out....but initially I thought he was joking with Raqibul/Naeem whoever threw the ball waywardly, from the side it looked like he was smiling and just doing an ONUJOG (not OBHIJOG) to the fielder. Also I missed the Ash incident, but found out he was really livid, but that's acceptable given the circumstances. However, if in the ball-throwing one and the other cases he really showed proper outburst, then it's something worrying. Coz he has to really make sure that he doesn't lose the respect of his team members. However, it would be good if the other team members accept him as a true leader and don't react to all of his animated expressions and stuff. That would bring some kinda discipline in the team that there's at least one who'll ask for accounts of any type of mistakes. But, still; Shakib should never let his cool go away, even when he's angry.
I agree with you. It is not a good quality of a captain to have bad temper. Any emotional out burst or showing bad temper against fellow players during match is demoralising for the fellow player/players. He must respect his seniors.

Last edited by ahms; July 30, 2009 at 01:44 PM..
Old July 30, 2009, 01:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Old July 30, 2009, 01:41 PM
Cricket Guru

There's a way to find positive in everything, and that's why so much philosophy about why Sakib's outburts are good. Jokhon time ashbe tokhon shobai philosophy paltaiya falaiyen...bepar na.
Old July 30, 2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
Calling Shakib hot-headed is not proper, in my opinion. He is indeed the Ice Man when it comes to getting the job done. If he shows emotion while taking a wicket or after getting out, that is natural. In cricketing context, getting out playing rash shots, or sending down 6 short deliveries like Shahadat, this I would consider "hot-headedness."
Very true. Sakib may be very animated in his expressions when something goes wrong, but in terms of temperament right now his actions speak for themselves. There isnt a more cool-headed player in our team out there right now. Not just the six, but how he took the bails off when getting Dale Richards run out was another sign. Calm, composed - did just enough to dislodge the bail with the ball, then he put it back on top of the stumps. He's one that stays involved and in control.

As for comparing with Bashar - my God, sakib makes Bashar the captain look like the greatest mediocre wuss. What with "Dhoni'r moto bhalo player ke ki thamano jai" and Gillespie's Double Century fresh in my mind!
Old July 30, 2009, 02:52 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

If Shakib can continue to lead from the front, these kinda emotional outburst will continue to produce better results. This is required to keep a good momentum in the team and will ensure that the team remains hungry for success.
Old July 30, 2009, 03:14 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Faizlami korle *whip* kora hobe.
Kothai? Peedhe naki pachayee?