facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 19, 2016, 09:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner
Default Hathurusingha retained until 2019

Bangladesh coach Chandika Hathurusingha's contract has been extended until the 2019 World Cup.

Also retained:
Assistant coach: Ruwan Kalpage
Fielding coach: Richard Halsall
Fitness and conditioning coach: Mario Villavarayan

Selectors:
Faruque Ahmed (Chief)
Update: Faruque Ahmed resigns as Bangladesh chief selector

Minhajul Abedin
Sajjad Ahmed (Replaced Habibul Bashar)

Other three members of selection committee:
Chandika Hathurusingha (Coach)
Khaled Mahmud (Manager)
Akram Khan (Board rep)

Habibul Bashar (Women selector)

Junior Selectors:
Hannan Sarkar
Hasibul Hossain

Source: http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...y/1027633.html

From Prothom-Alo:

BPL to start on November 6th.

Last edited by MarufH; June 19, 2016 at 01:18 PM..

Old June 19, 2016, 09:49 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

3 more years...how far will Bangladesh's cricket reach by then?
Old June 19, 2016, 09:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Pros:
- Hathurusingha is retained
- Villavarayan is retained
- Faruque stayed back

Cons:
- Not sure about Halsall
- Still no bowling coach

I am skeptical about this new 6 member selection process. Although there are some positives (They are all experienced with cricketing knowledge - Akram was a selector before). Happy to see Hannan and Shanto getting a job with BCB. Once thing BCB always did is employed former players - kudos to them for doing that!

Last edited by MarufH; June 19, 2016 at 01:19 PM..
Old June 19, 2016, 09:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
3 more years...how far will Bangladesh's cricket reach by then?
Good and safe place I hope. I hate all the uncertainty about two tiers and revamps. Why can we just let our team flourish!
Old June 19, 2016, 09:55 AM
Cricket Savant

Should rope in a team psychologist and (drill sergeant?)
Old June 19, 2016, 10:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Should rope in a team psychologist and (drill sergeant?)
So drill sergeant break and psychologist build?
Old June 19, 2016, 10:07 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarufH
So drill sergeant break and psychologist build?
Oh yeah...drill sergeant for moments like 3 balls..1 run

Psychologist for exactly what you think
Old June 19, 2016, 10:55 AM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz

Good to see that BCB are trying to tie up Haturi long time. And glad to see that Haturi wants to continue. Now we need a bowling coach and a few consultants then we should be set.
Old June 19, 2016, 01:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
"It will be difficult to work in this system. We have to have scope to work without interference. The independence of the selectors will be greatly compromised. The new system isn't going to help Bangladesh cricket, as it won't be able to deliver. There will be shared accountability where no one would really know who took the decision."
Old June 19, 2016, 02:13 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
YALEUNI ON JUNE 19, 2016, 16:30 GMT
With all due respect to Hathurusingha for what he have done so far, I think it is time to move on from him. Currently we have set of skillful players who can win the matches under proper guidance. We need to bring Australian kind of aggression to the team. I am afraid Huthurusinghe will not be able to do that.
Someone actually posted that, in public... in a world of Donald Trump, that comment surprised me this morning more than anything else.
Old June 19, 2016, 02:16 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

So who's going to replace Faruque? Pilot? Pilot! Pilot.

Pilot.
Old June 19, 2016, 02:26 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Someone actually posted that, in public... in a world of Donald Trump, that comment surprised me this morning more than anything else.
"We need to bring Australian kind of aggression to the team."

What kinda cricket sense do these posters have?
If he would have done his research, he would have found out where Haturasinghe was coaching prior to Bangladesh.
Old June 19, 2016, 03:41 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Anybody who plays for BD

Haba dekhi Mohila team a. Keno??
Old June 19, 2016, 03:52 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash Lara Fizz Taskin TI

Kudos to Faruque Ahmed for taking a strong stand, walking the talk. Good job from him while he was the chief selector. Now standing for what he believes is right. I also kinda agree with him. If there was any problem, there was actual and logical reason for change in the selection system. But while Bangladesh was in a upward curve in the performance graph, it was totally unnecessary to change a tried, tested and proven selection system. I mean if it ain't broken, why fix it?? It doesn't make any sense at-all. I fear there will be chaos in the new selection system and when things will go wrong, you won't find anyone to take the responsibility. At-least the 3-man selection committee was there in the past for commending or blaming. I don't know what will happen now. Everyone will take credit if we perform well, but if we perform below-par, there'll be no one to take responsibility.
Old June 19, 2016, 04:07 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
"We need to bring Australian kind of aggression to the team."

What kinda cricket sense do these posters have?
If he would have done his research, he would have found out where Haturasinghe was coaching prior to Bangladesh.
Stop it with your logic and making sense aklemalp bro! Hathuri has done enough. But he's not good enough for us anymore. Now it's time to move on to bigger and better things!

Steve Waugh - Manager,
Ponting - Head coach,
Clarke - Assist. coach,
Hayden - Batting coach,
Gillespie - Tailend-batting coach,
McGrath - Bowling coach,
Lee - Bowling Coach #2,
Warne - Spin bowling coach,
Bevan - Fielding coach.
Symonds - Trash talk coach, handling the crowd coach,
Miranda Kerr - IDK why, but why not?!
Old June 19, 2016, 04:17 PM
Cricket Savant

^^might as well resurrect Benaud and the Don.

Goes to show how disconnect fans are with their team...or maybe YALE UNI is a Sri Lankan who wants Haturasinghe as his country's coach.
Old June 19, 2016, 05:10 PM
Test Cricketer

I do not understand the love affair with Faruque.

Please read the daily star report. He is currently spending his HOLIDAYS in USA. Why is the selector on a holiday during the most important time of the regular domestic season? As I have stated before, the selectors hardly ever watch any domestic games.
I forgot the year, but the whole selection panel was actually spending their holiday in canada during another previous domestic season (not too long back). I wish the journalists asked him that question... but they wont.. The whole system in bangladesh works under the principal, u scratch my back and I scratch yours.
Old June 19, 2016, 10:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Nice observation Tonmoy.

Good news is we ve got the right men in the bus until 2019. They sure will steer us in the right direction. Wish Streak was also a part of the process, but hopefully we ll appoint someone as good in the time to come. Also wish we had a full time spin coach.

Job of a selector in BD isnt as tough these days. We dont chop and change like we used to at one point, nor do we make radical changes. Selectors are pretty much operating with a settle side. And if you think of the radical changes that have been done in the last few years-Sarkar, Mustafizur, Jubair, most have come at the insistence of coaches, rather than a selector sticking his neck out.
Old June 19, 2016, 11:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Good that they finally extended Haturu daa's contract.

Bad that they have no plan-B plan-C for Bowling coach.

Now the new selection process. I kind of agree to Faruk's point that:
  • It will be difficult to work in this system
  • There will be shared accountability and therefore if things goes wrong nobody will take the ownership of the responsibility.

I am glad that Faruk resigned on principle, its good for him and its good for BCB.

Some fans are confusing and combining "change of process" and "faruk's performance, and combining these two together. These are two different issues and need to discussed separately. Personally I also have reservation how effective the system will be... we will have to wait and see.

Now coming to Faruk's performance. On the record, unlike Basher, BCB retained Faruk as selector. So if a fan/reporter thinks that Faruk did a lousy job, then they should ask the question to papon why BCB still retained Faruk as the selector?
Is it because they think Faruk did a good job so far? or,
In case things doesn't work out with the new process, they need a scape goat to blame?
Old June 20, 2016, 12:33 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Dillu, the poster origin should be searched. Most likely has no affiliation with BD. You know where I am pointing.
Old June 20, 2016, 12:53 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezwansyed
... If there was any problem, there was actual and logical reason for change in the selection system. But while Bangladesh was in a upward curve in the performance graph, it was totally unnecessary to change a tried, tested and proven selection system. I mean if it ain't broken, why fix it?? It doesn't make any sense at-all...
There were problems. And the change makes absolute sense to me. When more people converge and make a decision, most likely it is better than just one or two. Communication also becomes sound. Easy for the coach and captain to plan, manage, execute strategies on the field.

1) WC 2015 selection issue 1: Haturi coached in Australia for a long time before becoming the Head Coach of BD. He knows them pitches and what type of players would do good. He also saw, Jubair on the nets and asked the uncap player to be included in the 15. The selectors FAILED to recognize the experience and recommendation of the coach. Didn't select Jubair.

2) WC 2015 selection issue 2: Inclusion of 3 SLAs and a part-timer SLA. One dimentional. Taijul, Arafat, Shakib, Mominul.

3) WC 2015 selection issue 3: No backup in opening. Tamim-Anamul was set to open but there wasn't any backup plan even in the preparation (month long). Thus they selected Imrul (when Anamul went down) who was unfit, unprepared. Disaster WC for him and BD opening.

4) WC 2015 selection issue 4: Replacing Al-Amin with Shafiul. He was so unfit and unprepared that he wasn't even considered to replace Al-Amin.

And this is just for the WC 2015 issues.
Old June 20, 2016, 01:05 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

I liked ... what BCB President said ...

http://www.thedailystar.net/sports/c...-wants-1242754
Old June 20, 2016, 01:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye

And this is just for the WC 2015 issues.
So why BCB didn't' fired Faruk then? And why they (BCB) still selected him as a selector in the new system?

The incompetence (if that what you think) doesn't stop at Faruk, it stops at the top of the BCB for not firing Faruk and still trying to retain him.

If BCB thinks Chief Selector is not doing his job, you don't change the process and keep the Chief Selector, you fire him and bring a better one. Its like trying to cover the whole village than trying to cover the feet to keep the king's feet clean.

If haturu daa is so good, then just fire Fazruk and make haturu daa the chief selector. Atleast then if we are successful, he will get full gloryl love and if he continue to select Hom, Rony and Juabir ( and they continue to fail), at some point he will need to defend his selections and take responsibilities.

Upto now it looks like if a selection clicks, he get all the glory and if it fails, the selectors gets all the blame.

I am a haturu daa fan, and I am still his fan. But I hate BCB's confusing share of responsibility no clear role and responsibility. And I am afraid the new process is a big confusing committee. And I am telling you, Akram will be more forceful in his decision making and when theings goes wrong, he is not going to take the hit. good or bad... Akram is no Faruk... he will even go to Harina if needed... he will survive of any mess. and god forbid if there is a conflict between Akram and haturu daa, it will be not that an easy ride for haturu daa.
Old June 20, 2016, 02:03 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
So why BCB didn't' fired Faruk then? And why they (BCB) still selected him as a selector in the new system?...
1. not everything he did was bad.
2. Continuity. Too many turnovers holds back a well oiled machine.
3. That wasn't a ground to fire him.
4. BCB put in place a strategy so that these type of things don't occur. Problem solved/addressed for the future. That is why the Coach (Haturi) and Manager (Kujon) and another Board member (Akram) were included in the selection and decision making process.
Old June 20, 2016, 02:14 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
1. not everything he did was bad.
2. Continuity. Too many turnovers holds back a well oiled machine.
3. That wasn't a ground to fire him.
4. BCB put in place a strategy so that these type of things don't occur. Problem solved/addressed for the future. That is why the Coach (Haturi) and Manager (Kujon) and another Board member (Akram) were included in the selection and decision making process.
2. You fix the main problem keep the rest that's called "continuity". What they did is not "Continuity" it changing upside down but still keeping the main known problem.

1 and 3. Either you like Chief Selector's job, or you do not. If you have mixed review, you give him little bit more time. That's called fairness, transparency and leadership. Unfortunately BCB failed to show those.

4. Failed to understand how this hodge podge process address anything in medium to long term. A "Disuster" is written all over this process because of lack of clear cut role and responsibility for each member. Who is ultimately responsible in this new process?

5. Akram and Shujon, they both have bigger ego than Faruk. They are not just going to listen to haturu daa, they will enforce their opinion. And you want me the believe that this new process with Akram and Sujon will work out fine in long run. if that what you believe, that's fine, but sorry, I cannot believe that.

I have just one question to papon, yeh kya kaar diya?