facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 28, 2007, 10:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Default Sri Lanka Team line-up?

I think its adamant that we should try to find out if BD is playing a full=strength lankan team. In their last series SL failed in their series against Pakistan, without Vaas, Murali and Sangakarra who had country cricket commitments at the time.

Will there be key players missing from the SL side in the upcoming series?

Last edited by Nafi; May 28, 2007 at 02:23 PM..

Old May 28, 2007, 10:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Vaas joined Middlesex to play in the early part of the English season before he returns to Sri Lanka mid-June to play in the home series against Bangladesh.
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/srila...ry/295846.html
Old May 28, 2007, 12:36 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Naf
I think its adamant that we should try to find out if BD is playing a full=strength lankan team. In their last series SL failed poorly in their series against Pakistan, without Vaas, Murali and Sangakarra who had country cricket commitments at the time.

Will there be key players missing from the SL side in the upcoming series?
did you watch the last match???
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 29, 2007, 01:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Even though our chances of success would greatly increase if Vaas, Murali and Sangakarra missed the series, it would still be a good thing if they play because our players can gain valuable experience playing against such high quality opponents on foreign soil.

And like Dr_Naf mentioned already, Vaas is confirmed to play in the series.
Old May 29, 2007, 02:43 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

If Murali didnt play it would significantly increase our chances of winning. Sangakarra is also an awesome player but at least our youngsters would learn from playing against them.
Old May 29, 2007, 12:55 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

their line up would be same as the wc line up..
Old May 29, 2007, 04:09 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

A "C" team SL lineup can finish us inside 4 days. Just watch the practice match. Players are not yet ready to stay on the crease for a session or two. Unless Habibul Bashar changes his approach of leaving the rising balls from hooking or pulling how can we expect Ash, Shahriar not to copy their leader? Nafis Iqbal koi?
Old May 31, 2007, 02:40 PM
Cricket Sage

Looks like Bashar and Gullu will not be in ODI. Also looks like Tushar will take Bashar's spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newAgeBD
The selectors are set to drop Habibul Bashar and Javed Omar from the Bangladesh one-day squad when they pick the players for the ensuing Sri Lanka tour.
The selection committee, which will see the debut of former national captain Akram Khan, is expected to announce two separate squads for the Test and one-day series on June 4.
and
Quote:
However, the selectors felt he has not done enough in recent times to deserve a place. ‘It rather created a stumbling block for Tushar Imran, who is not getting enough chances despite being in form,’ said a selector asking not be named.

For javed, he will only be included if SN is dropped out. Otherwise they may select anothe new opener along with Tamim and SN. Most likely again Mehrab Jr.

Plus NI may not get his chance in SL series yet.
Quote:
Asked whether they will consider bringing back Nafees Iqbal, the elder brother of Tamim Iqbal, who showed some signs of form in the latter part of the Dhaka Premier Cricket League, the selector replied in the negative.
‘Nafees still needs to show more commitment and consistency in order to be considered.’

However as per newageBD, both Bashar and Gullu will retain their position in TEST team.
Old May 31, 2007, 02:55 PM
First Class Cricketer

I want Reza in for the ODI's.
Old May 31, 2007, 03:33 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Looks like Bashar and Gullu will not be in ODI. Also looks like Tushar will take Bashar's spot.
Music to my ears!
Old May 31, 2007, 03:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Also to go by the article, one gets the impression that they are thinking about Rajin as well for the one day opening slot. Not ideal if you ask me, but will take it anyday over JO opening in ODI's. SN is really out of sorts and throwing him to the fire against Malinga & Vass might cause permamnet damage. So, maybe, it is time to 'rest' him from the one day squad. Test series is before the one day right? Hmm..If he plays the test series and gets back in touch, maybe he reclaim the one day spot. In any case, resting him entirely for the series is not a bad option for his sake. He will sort himself out eventually.
Old May 31, 2007, 03:38 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I support Rajin's inclusion as opener, at least for ODIs. SN is terribly out of form, low in confidence, and JO is a one-day nightmare.
Old May 31, 2007, 03:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Test series before the ODI is going to complicate matters a bit. That means free pass for JO, HB, Pilot and no chance for the likes of Rahim, Aftab, Tushar etc. By playing well in the ODIs, if it were played before the tests, some of them might have claimed a spot for the test team. But, since the test series is before the ODI, I see not much scope for any chaage in the team that got thrashed by India. Maybe, only an opener will come in place of SN ( if he is rested ). Mehrab and JO opening ? followed by HB, Ash, Rajin, Sakib? This line up will get thrashed by SL. You need a few counter punching players as well to cope with very good bowling like SL. Positive thing being that the series is a three test series. So, I hope they also keep Aftab and Tushar in the test squad. We might need them from second test on..
Old June 1, 2007, 05:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
Also to go by the article, one gets the impression that they are thinking about Rajin as well for the one day opening slot. Not ideal if you ask me, but will take it anyday over JO opening in ODI's. SN is really out of sorts and throwing him to the fire against Malinga & Vass might cause permamnet damage. So, maybe, it is time to 'rest' him from the one day squad. Test series is before the one day right? Hmm..If he plays the test series and gets back in touch, maybe he reclaim the one day spot. In any case, resting him entirely for the series is not a bad option for his sake. He will sort himself out eventually.
yep. he should be rested, i think for the whole tour. i'd give junaid siddique a go for the ODIs, and bring nafees iqbal back for the tests to open with tamim (4-day average of 40 BTW). i'd also play nafees iqbal at number 3 for the ODIs instead of rajin and bring alok back into the fold after excellent performances in the national league... anyway we'll see what happens on the 4th when they announce the team. Kabir posted an excellent thread on a similar topic: -

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=21661
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; June 1, 2007 at 05:40 AM..
Old June 1, 2007, 09:56 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Muttiah Muralitharan, Chaminda Vaas, and Kumar Sangakkara, currently playing county cricket in England, will be available for selection for the home Test series against Bangladesh.
Ashantha de Mel, Sri Lanka Cricket's chairman of selectors, said the selectors wanted to look at every angle before they decided on the squad. The availability of the three senior players, de Mel said, meant that Sri Lanka would have a well-balanced squad for the series. Murali, playing for Lancashire, Vaas for Middlesex, and Sangakkara for Warwickshire, will miss the Afro-Asia Cup, hosted by India in early June, due to their county commitments.
Meanwhile,the venue for the first Test in Colombo, starting June 25, has been moved from R Premadasa Stadium to the Sinhalese Sports Club Ground. The second Test will be played at the P Saravanamuttu Stadium in Colombo from July 3 to 7 and the third at Kandy's Asgiriya Stadium from July 11 to 15.
2 tests in Colombo
SSC - Happy hunting ground for Murali and Vaas
PSS - Small ground, short boundaries, batting pitch

1 test in Kandy
ASK - Grassy and bouncy, Pace haven

Scared?
Old June 1, 2007, 11:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Scared? No. Worried? Yes. I am more worried about our own batting and bowling inconsistencies than Srilanka's batting or bowling. If we can perform upto our potential, we can give them a hard time but it will be interesting to see how it turns out this time under a new captain.