View Single Post
Old September 19, 2007, 10:46 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

It's not a cartoon of a very good taste especially in a country like Bangladesh. majority people don't bear the same level of sensitiveness like most of the BC members who are educated and conscious.

Everyone should understand the level of passion muslims bear in mind about Prophet (SW) and making fun where there can be slightest correlation with Prophet (SW)'s image will invoke serious repercussions. This type of cartoon should be avoided to maintain religious harmony.

Now I want to see it from two different perspectives .. (this is what I have seen in heated discussions in other forums, definitely there are more extreme views)

1. Cartoonist Guilty

The cartoonist could have conveyed the same message using different wordings where the possibility of hurting muslim sentiment could have easily been avoided.

Firstly there is no such custom or rule that a muslim name should be started with Muhammad and making it a subject of a cartoon isn't a well thought approach.

Secondly the cartoonist wanted to use the name "Muhammad" as from a rational point of view, there was no need to ask what's the boy is carrying? (when a cat should be clearly visible). if it was a covered box and the question was asked that would have been a different proposition.

2. Cartoonist not-guilty
He simply wanted to show some exchange of words that might be common in villages and wanted to make fun out of it.

He was not aware that " the use of name "Muhammad" might hurt muslims feelings.

Now if the second was is true, I have to say the cartoonist is quite a dumb person and should exercise more caution especially in Ramadan month. But definitely he should not be arrested or harassed, he should simply apologize for hurting the muslim feelings.

If the cartoonist had any inner ill-intention (only Allah knows), may Allah give gim hidayah.

Last edited by Miraz; September 19, 2007 at 10:55 AM..