View Single Post
Old August 19, 2009, 11:44 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
@Shubho, excellent post but disagree with a few points, especially with regards to Rubel ...

He has aggression, pace, swing, slower balls and quality reverse yorkers simply not seen before in Bangladesh. He needs to be guided and managed properly so that he follows a script he can pull off consistently because he likes it. Rarely used in the Caribbean, he found himself in two minds and often bowled without the type of assertiveness emblematic of what I'm talking about.

The pressure Enam can create, even without getting wickets himself, results in wickets for others. In time he'll get his due share of wickets.

Roqib Will persist until someone better and more consistent is ready to take his place. Look at his aggregate grade here and it's no surprise that he's at the top. Maybe Mushfiq, Imrul, Shahriar Nafis (the only ICLer we need besides Dhiman behind the stumps), or Nafis Iqbal at #s 3 and/or 4. I think he needs at least 2-3 years of solid A Team cricket to learn to sight quality bowling better, rotate the strike with greater ease in the process, and eventually add some decent strokes he can play well. International cricket isn't the right place to overcome your basic limitations, IMO.
Agree there. I am very hopeful of Rubel. He has the raw ingredients to be a good fast bowler, as you have indicated, but nurturing him carefully is the key challenge. He is able to reverse the ball because he has pace, something that can't be taught. Either you have it or you don't. I would mostly play him in the test team now, keeping him fresh, and he can also experiment in that version without the constant worries of economy in the shorter version. Once, he fixes his radar to a consistent acceptable level, he will given more and more opportunity in the shorter version. His ability to york the batsmen with the old ball can be huge in death overs. We have no one who can do that.