View Single Post
Old October 20, 2006, 12:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Bujhai jai je sha bangaali.. I mean who else but a bengali (advice/brainwash from parents) would go to school when a good business opportunity presents itself.
I don't think you are accurate by making a generalized assumption in this case. Trust me. I know a lit bit about Jawed and his dad. I talked with both of them. At that time he was already millioner from his pay-pal job, opened Youtube and decided to go for Graduate school.

Jawed was never pressured by his parents in terms of his education. Actually his dad mentioned to us (in a party) he always wanted his son to have a normal balanced life, was worried not be too much nerdy type of guy. For example, Jawed decided to join PayPal even before fininshing his degree. He seeked advice from his parents, but at the end, it was his decision. He already proved that he is not that kind of conventional brainwashed bengali type of boy. Then again, his going back to school, and sacrificing stocks was also his own decision, not his parent's. he seeked advice from his parents, but it was jawed who took the final decicion.

When he decided to give up his share and go back to gradualte school, the valuation of that company was already in the 100 Mil level. Ofcourse, he never realized how much he is going to loose, but he knew that he was going loose money in the millions of dollar level. And eventually as per him (in the interview), the money he end up getting makes it irrelevant how much more he could have been making.

The only think I can say is, based on my conversation with him,his dad and his uncle is he may be indirectly pressured by the facts that, both of his parents are PHds and very accomplised by their own fields. He may have felt, he need to do more than just make some money to make his parents proud.

Trust me, Talked with him, his dad and his uncle who lives in Viriginia. They (Jawed's family) are not like your typical Bangladeshi Family.

Last edited by Fazal; October 20, 2006 at 12:21 PM..