View Single Post
Old March 4, 2008, 09:32 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: আশরাফুল

Dear Jamie Siddons,

I have a very high respect towards your cricketing ability and the ability to coach our young tigers. However i would like to tell you a little secret about our tigers. If you would lend me your ears;

Cricket coaching or any coaching/training/courses/tests are conducted to make sure that the trainee/coachee/learner is made competent in performing that task. It is done in two basic ways: creative coaching or in another words widening the knowledge or training on achieving practical competence or coaching them in what to do and how to do it. The other method is outcome based coaching or in another words restraining/minimizing errors, restraining wrong moves, coaching/training them on what not to do and how not to do it. If you have to take the creative coaching process to the tigers then they are not worth you time. Creative coaching is done at a very tender age. All you can do at this point is tweaking and twisting a bit here and there, not much. These tigers can play all shots in the book, i for one would not underestimate their ability. They hardly needs anymore TALENT that they already have. Creative coaching is more like showing a kid how to drive a car, how to start the vehicle, change gears, look over their shoulders to check for blind spots, parking the car, teach them on road rules and so on. My point here is these Bangladeshi tigers knows how to drive a car. They no longer belongs to the kids group, they are more likely belongs to the big kid group. They not only knows how to drive a car but also knows how to drive it over 200km/h in a 50 km/h zone, how to break red signals and break road rules and so on; thus making accidents quite often and probably causing injury/death to others or themselves. Thats where the problem lies. It all looks so simple. I have a rare ability. An ability to make things look very simple when they are not, not by any strech of imagination.

So you will have to be a passenger while these big kids are driving, i know you must be scared to death, so you should be. They don't need you tell them how to drive the car, they need you to tell them how to slow down. They don't need you to tell them how to get turbo charged engine, they need you to tell them to stop at the red light. They don't need you to tell them how to pull a ball like idiots, they need you to tell them how to build and innings patiently.

They don't need a friend to tell them what to do, they need strict guidance on what not to do and how not to do it. Dear Jamie, if you came to Bangladesh to become their friends please don't bother, i am sure you can do much better things in life. However if you can be the strict guide that they need you to be; i have three words for you, we need you, badly.