View Single Post
Old March 6, 2011, 04:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
I can safely say that the bolded part of the accusation put forward by Sajeeb Wajed is not entirely baseless. I say this because I remember way back before Yunus won the nobel prize, During mid-late 90's I had a private tutor who I remember telling me once that the collection officers would sometimes come and remove the tins used in constructing the house and take it with them in case the lender is unable to pay back the money. He is a witness to two such incidents. And he dispised some of these Grameen bank tactics.
I am sure there is some truth to this. But, you cannot make judgement on an institution that serves 9 million borrowers based this. Just analyze the allegation regarding Sufia Begum, it was completely misreported. I know people who has met Nurannahar (sufia begum's daughter), thinking that she is the daughter of the first Grameen borrower. Now, the video evidence reveals that the people have been mislead for this whole period. Things are often, not what they appear to be...

For your case, are you absolutely sure that these people borrowed money from Grameen Bank. Did he see it on his on his own eye, or just read media reports. As far as I know, the official policy of Grameen does not encourage such behavior, but i think some branches can engage in such activities without the knowledge of central management.

Then, there are other microcredit institutions that play with rules loosely. Grameen seems to be the best behaved microcredit lender. This sector definitely needs careful regulation, I don't dispute that for a bit.