View Single Post
Old June 3, 2016, 12:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Last weekend, I had the opportunity to talk briefly with an old gentleman from Bangladesh, who is a close relative of Papon, our BCB President.

Few things he said pretty much supports our assumptions:

1. Mustafiz is still pure and unspoiled at heart. And Papon loves and worries about him, no surprise there as the whole nation loves him.

2. Its the attitude and lack of hard working (in practice) which is preventing Nasir from coming back. He spend too much time in non-cricket related activities. Papon is seriously thinking about implementing new rules that will protect/prevent young players from non-cricket related distractions.

3. Anamul have similar problem but to a lesser extent, but technique and understanding the games situation is a concern. (Not sure its his own opinion or papon's)

4. Al-Amin was penalized for extended time (unofficially by not selecting him back) for his behavior. He was rude to BCB and senior players. He has some attitude and/or communication problem.

5. Papon loves Sakib's skillset and his contribution, but when Papon first came, he saw "I am bigger than the team" kind of attitude and papon felt something need to be done to address this bad trend in the team. He thinks the penalty followed by pardon sent the clear message as he believes Sakib is a smart man understood the message.

6. The chance of Ashraful coming back in the team is too slim. But Papon support Ashraful playing in the local league for the rest of his career.

7. When Papon first came, he felt that the concept of "team first" was lacking in the national team except for few players. He identified that as one of the problems and tried to rectify that with his follow-up actions.

8. He recognize corruption, politics and incompetence exists in BCB, but he is a realistic and not idealist. He tries his best to rectify some of the issues and move forward step by step, not trying to make wholesale changes.

Please note, there is no way for me to say if these are for fact or his interpretation of facts.