View Single Post
Old March 11, 2013, 01:50 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket
Default The significance of Mushfiq's double century

Congrats Mushfiq.
You have done yourself, the fans and the country proud.

Could not be more happier that it came from none other than the captain himself. This is called leading from the front and will certainly inspire the rest of the team members to follow suit.

But the most important aspect of this double ton will be its lasting legacy and his consolidation of respect and authority within the team dynamics.

When he was handed the leadership role on the merry go round phase, it was his turn to sail the broken ship to a safe shore.He was a good, honest hard working man who is loved by all, part due to his no-jhamela approach and part due to his cute boyish good looks. But there's always this question of respect and authority within the his own team members, one very important factor which could either make or break any team, unity.

Lets face it, he wasnt the most flamboyant Tamim of the Khan family, nor talented Mr Ashraful, Shakib the Superman, neither the Pagla Mash. In other words, he was never the best batsman, bowler, fielder or allrounder of the team. He was this bits and pieces cricketer who would score 30-40 runs, keep decent and chatter a lot. As time passed, he became this pocket dynamite who could, sometimes, punch a few over his weight.

But it takes more than that to earn your peer's respect and keep the heavyweights in check and under control. With this record breaking, history making innings, he has just ensured that. Under his leadership, the team has reached new heights and he has gone where no Bangladeshi have been before.

Now when he tells Tamim to go play a big knock, he wouldnt have to hear "what would you know of big knocks mate ? How many you have ? I atleast have a blistering 150 something. You know who my uncle is ? You wanna see my fingers ? ". Shakib can't tell him "Don't tell me what to do, you know who am I ? Ash can't tell him, "You know what, If I sing, the whole world dances with me, its just that I have a soar throat every other day".

Don't get me wrong folks. I'm not accusing any of these players of any misdoing, I'm just giving examples of how it is tough for him or anyone in his position to tell the heavyweights what to do. Now he can command authority and demand respect from his team members and keep everyone under his wings, just as a true leader would do.

Without being the best or the most fancied, he has achieved feat which will only inspire the "best"s in the team to challenge themselves and follow their leader's footsteps. His unifying ability was already evident with the team's performance over the past year, but now it just seals his position as the true leader of this team.

I believe this innings will not be just a double century but will have a far more positive impact on Bangladesh cricket team for years to come.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]