View Single Post
Old November 18, 2020, 08:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganesh
What else should Sakib do? Take asylum in India or run away to Europe? What has happened in unfortunate. Dimwits don't understand individual liberty and are throwing death threats.
This is a tough one. For the first time I actually side with Roey on a quasi-religious matter. I think social media is the biggest problem here. It is amplifying small extreme voices and then it becomes news that you can't ignore.

this is something very innocuous, diplomatic and something shakib should be proud to be part of. Instead it became about Muslim sensitivities due to some nutcase getting a platform and going viral.

This gesture makes him a far better Muslim/human to lead by example what good human should be. While trying to appease one religion, he under no circumstances hurt sentiments of another. The threat and subsequent online reactions perhaps played in his head and he thought he needed to apologize to get rid of this. I am sure he doesn't want to be part of this conversation. While it is true, the ideal thing to do would be to stand your ground, but he can not change the mindset and behaviors of others who are brought up in a poisonous environment.

Anyways, i think his video was premature. he should have ignored it and let the thing die on its own. He doesn't have to address everything. I think he made it worse. Amplified fear probably played part... the nutcase might be a nuisance .. but he got viral and that is where shakib probably felt threatened..