View Single Post
Old January 24, 2004, 02:02 PM
Retired BC Admin

Default Mahmud walks off as a man

The born fighter has decided to call it quits yesterday. He may be small in stature, but the lion-hearted Khaled Mahmud chose the right moment to sign off from international cricket after seeing the highs and lows of Bangladesh cricket.
"I think it is the right time to say goodbye to international cricket. It is not that I've just been dropped from the Test squad, but to avoid any further embarrassment," said the 32-year-old to The Daily Star Sport on Saturday in the evening.

Mahmud, who led the Tigers in three series since being named captain on April 24 in 2003, lost his place in the Test team when the selectors announced a 16-member tour party for Zimbabwe.

Mahmud, who attended his last training session at the Bangabandhu National Stadium in the morning, took only an hour to make the biggest decision of his cricketing career after a meeting with Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president Ali Asghar at his Gulshan office.

Although he did not wish to elaborate about his meeting with the BCB boss, however, Mahmud told this correspondent that it had certainly helped him to take the painful decision.

"I've tendered my resignation and hopefully the Board will accept it," said Mahmud adding that he has submitted the letter at around 4pm.

"I have been feeling the pinch of non-belonging during the training for the last few days. I was not getting enough chances to bat in the nets and also I noticed that the bowlers were acting funny whenever it was my turn," said Mahmud who made his international debut in 1998 against India.

"This is not the way to behave with a captain who should always command the respect of his teammates. And if this trend continues Bangladesh will never get a good captain in the future," said the hero of Bangladesh's last one-day victory against Pakistan in the 1999 World Cup in England.

"I admit that I have shortcomings and I'm average too. But can anybody tell me how many consistent performers are there in the team right now? I have failed in the home series, but it is unfair to judge one when everybody should share the blame. Another thing they seemed to have forgotten is that how the same set of players performed well in both Australia and Pakistan," remarked Mahmud, who has played 12 Tests since making his debut against Zimbabwe in November 2001 at the Bangabandhu National Stadium.

"I love the game very much and I always treasured self-respect above everything throughout my career," said the often outspoken Mahmud, who turned down the offer of taking over the captaincy from Aminul Islam during the 1999 World Cup.

Known for his great team spirit, Mahmud picked up the pieces of the disastrous 2003 World Cup campaign and mould it into a disciplined and fighting team on the ground. His leadership quality was never questioned despite nine Test and 15 one-day defeats during his reign.

The father of two sons, Mahmud's decision was wholeheartedly supported by his life partner Romana.

"We may suffer financially but I always wanted him to live with dignity and pride and that's why we have always stood by him," she said.

Asked to choose his finest moment Mahmud had this to say: "The greatest moments in my career came when I walked to toss with my idol Steve Waugh in Australia and the triumph over Pakistan."

Mahmud's parting shot also exemplifies the character of a true leader as he walked out of Bangladesh cricket like a man defying all sorts of temptations in a midnight meeting with the Board officials.

Source: Daily Star