View Single Post
Old April 5, 2011, 09:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangladeshFan
congrats to india! the major contribution was from yuvraj, zaheer, sachin, raina, sehwag, gambhir.

congrats to sachin as well, he truly deserved a world champions medal. even though he didnt do much in final but the crucial semi was won by him, scratchy or not. For me, MOM of the final was gambhir not dhoni. Gambhir really put the lankans on the backfoot.

I have been a supporter of indian team from childhood and started watching them from 1987 WC. My support waned after 2003 WC and I started supporting Bd, my country , after that. I think the darkest period of indian cricket was the 90s, they didnt have a single match winner apart from sachin. Being such a good player, sachin couldnt win india any major trophies simply because there wasnt any other major performers. India was really the "haru party", kept on losing to pakistan/srilanka on crucial occasions. I think the winning mentality of indian team came after the new guns yuvraj and zaheer and finally dhoni joined in. they have the winner finishing mentality which tendulkar lacked even with all his brilliance. i have to say this even when tendu was my fav player for such a long time.

i hope india keep on winning, tendu sure have a few more years to contribute. he can retire when the runs dry up. india have backup for him now.
BangladeshFan,

Respect to you for being a supporter of India team even before i became one!

You are right in that India team of the 90s was the proverbial "Haru Party". Snatching defeat from a certain victory became a trademark. While teams like SL and NZ were improving leaps and bounds, Indian team was a proverbial loser. We had selectors who had no problem having monkeys bat for India as long as the monkeys were from their zone. So useless players like Vikram Rathore, Pankaj Dharmani, Rashid Patel etc. could easily make it to the team while some really talented players like Obaid Kamal (a very talented fast-medium bowler from UP) waited and waited and gave up cricket in disgust.

Tendulkar was tonic for a billion Indians in that he kept the passion going for the game and the team even when India was losing pretty much everything.

The best part of this World-Cup win - India won despite no contribution from Sachin and Sehwag. That can only augur well for the team.

India team is far from perfect or a dominant force. But they have the capability - whether they can go that extra mile will be solely their planning, execution and prerogative.