View Single Post
Old August 24, 2012, 07:41 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir
Default World T20 WC - One to Watch thread

Good article from cricinfo (thanks to Isam bro)

Quote:

A wicket off his first ball, and 13 sixes in a T20
Plenty of record-holders in part two of our series on players who we expect will grab your attention in next month's World Twenty20

Elias Sunny can give Bangladesh vital breakthroughs with the ball and bat © Barry Chambers

Elias Sunny
Bangladesh
Having made impressive Test and T20 debuts in his first year of international cricket, Sunny ventures onto the biggest stage of his career. He will be looking for wickets, which will secure his future and ensure that his early success wasn't just a one-off. He didn't go to a sports institute or scorch his way through age-group cricket, learning the game instead at a neighbourhood academy, where he played age-group cricket, and then slogging his way through Dhaka's club scene before finding himself a place in the Dhaka Division first-class team in 2003-04. He has also played for Chittagong, opening the batting at times, but his primary trade has been left-arm spin.

Sunny was on the fringes for a long time, despite good performances, but the national call-up finally came in 2011, after yet another haul of wickets and runs in all competitions, including a back-to-the-wall 87 not out in a one-day final. On Test debut, he took a six-for against West Indies.

What's he about?
Sunny possesses control - as anyone who has plenty of first-class wickets does - but his ability to turn the ball with his round-arm action is his real strength. He is also slow through the air on most occasions but has shown versatility by quickening up the pace when needed. Bangladesh captain Mushfiqur Rahim has slowly begun to rely on him as a spinner. However, Sunny will be under pressure to improve his batting skills.

What the team needs
Coach Richard Pybus said Bangladesh won't pick three spinners for the sake of it, but the fact remains that they still rely heavily on their slow left-armers. While Shakib Al Hasan provides balance with his skilful control and Abdur Razzak is the attacking option, there is space for Sunny to be the surprise package by turning the odd ball and providing a key breakthrough.

Big day out
5 for 13 v Ireland, first T20I, Belfast, 2012
Though he played unofficial T20s for Bangladesh during the Zimbabwe tri-series in June, Sunny's official debut in the format came against Ireland the following month. He began with a double-wicket maiden, following up with a wicket in each of his next three overs to become the first bowler to take a five-for on T20I debut.

Trivia and stats
Sunny is the only cricketer to win Man-of-the-Match awards on debut in two formats - Test and T20.

Quotable
"I have noticed a huge difference between the domestic cricket that we play in Bangladesh and international cricket. Fundamentally for me, it is with the number of bad balls that I could bowl in an over. You can't bowl a single bad ball in international cricket; it will get punished."

For rest of the article...
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...ry/578996.html