View Single Post
Old May 10, 2007, 05:59 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful
Default Pakistan keen on coach Whatmore

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cric...an/6641775.stm
Pakistan keen on coach Whatmore

Whatmore has plenty of experience with Sri Lanka and Bangladesh
Pakistan have confirmed their interest in recruiting Australian Dav Whatmore to replace the late Bob Woolmer as coach of the national team.
Whatmore will leave his current post with Bangladesh at the end of their current home series against India.

And Pakistan diretor of cricket operations Zakir Khan confirmed: "We are interested in hiring him.

"The thing is we have to see if he is ready to accept any final offer we make to him."

Whatmore has extensive international coaching experience, having had two spells in charge of Sri Lanka, during which he guided them to victory at the 1996 World Cup, before taking charge of Bangladesh four years ago.

606: DEBATE
Dav Whatmore is a great coach with a proven track record

FT

He recently expressed an interest in becoming India's next coach following the recent resignation of Greg Chappell, but would also be attracted by the challenge of reviving Pakistan's fortunes following their first round exit from the recent World Cup.

"I can't afford to stay unemployed for too long," he said last week.

The 53-year-old indicated, however, that he was unlikely to submit a formal application for any post, adding: "I have not been lobbying. I don't go promoting myself."

Pakistan will play a three-match limited over series against Sri Lanka later this month, with team manager Talat Ali doubling up as acting coach.

But they want a full-time replacement for Woolmer, who was murdered at the team hotel in Jamaica during the World Cup, in place by the beginning of July.

The job has already attracted interest from a number of foreign coaches.

"We have got applications from England, West Indies and Australia," said Khan.

Yor thoughts...

(Mods
Please Delete or Merge if there is a thread similar to this...Or move to International if you feel it is appropriate..)