View Single Post
Old May 16, 2003, 08:58 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Test status

Frankly, it's too late to argue about Test status now. What matters is that a set-up is in place so that the team stops embarrassing itself, and the fans who deserve better.
Appointing Dav Whatmore as coach is a very smart move. If he can't get them playing, no one will. Like he said recently, half your players seem to have a negative attitude about them. He's one man who can change that.
Ashraful, Kapali, Tapash and Mashrafe are all players who can make it big, while Habibul and Manjural also have the ability to test the better sides. What's needed is the discipline and determination. India are on the right track with John Wright, and hopefully, Whatmore can do it with B'desh.
I do feel however that Bangladesh cricket would be better served by playing more A sides first. It's so much easier to make the step up from that level, than it was from a first-class set-up which is still very raw.
A tour of Australia looms, and I fear that's the worst thing that could happen. On current form, they'll massacre any team and a poor result will do morale no good at all. On the other hand, it'll really toughen up some of the youngsters. Once you've played Aus in Aus, the rest is a cakewalk.
What's the general opinion at home about the appointment of Whatmore, and the moves taken by the BCB? I remember meeting Saber Hossain Chowdhury in Dhaka three years ago, and he seemed more bluster than substance.
It may be a long time before Bangladesh actually win a Test match but let's hope they become competitive soon. It doesn't matter if you lose...as long as you don't lose the lesson.

Regards,
Dileep