Thread: Wimbledon 2008
View Single Post
Old July 9, 2008, 06:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
He's a fit individual but I think he has stamina issues, You could see it in the match,
You must have been seeing things. Federer looked fresh as a daisy in the trophy presentation ceremony.

Quote:
Hitting all those balls got to him in the 5th, Running around from his back hand to hit his forehand he made plenty of errors, shots by his standards he should make 9/10 and he was missing them routinely in the 5th,
It's called nerves, not stamina.

Quote:
I think it was the physical nature of Nadals game that got to him, same thing happened in the AO in 05 vs Safin
Nonsense. Nadal "looks" physical with the muscles and running and that huge arc of a followthrough of his arm as he imparts topspin on the ball, but his shots aren't really that violent. They are usually high percentage shots that go well over the net and then come down well inside the court. Most of the time, they are semi-moonballs that spit off the court because of topspin.

I don't think Federer was overawed or intimidated or ran out of stamina because of the "physicality" of Nadal's shots. He knew perfectly well what he was dealing with.