View Single Post
Old June 10, 2007, 08:52 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Ash, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Kana-Baba: thank you for sharing that account with us. however, please note that "war crimes" include pretty much all extra-judicial killings, irrespective of however "justifiable" that cause may be. there is no statute of limitation on war crimes, and it is advisable that you do not implicate your greatly admirable father in such an act. i suggest that you edit those parts out. bongobondhu's infamous (in my view, correct) pardon covered all those who supported pakistan, not those who committed war crimes. there may yet be a war crimes tribunal in bangladesh under the guidelines of the ICJ, and all war crimes will be scrutinized by that body when that happens. i for one, strongly support the idea of a south africa-style "truth and reconciliation commission" that can grant people conditional immunity in exchange for the truth. we need the truth to write our authentic history and move forward. from one child deeply effected by the war to another, a big hug. i feel you my brother...

by the way three of my chachas and one phuphu, fought in chittagong. my ghazi chacha remembers the boalkhali area well.
Dear Sohel Bhai,

I think I can understand what you are trying to say. I too hate extrajudicial killing. But things were not the same in the battle field during 1971. While I would not attempt to justify any unethical act, but here are few surrounding facts that might provide a bit more insight:

* Even though Pakistani soldiers officially surrendered on 16th December, 1971, parts of Bangladeshi soil were still occupied. Small pockets of resistance from Rajakar, Al Badar, Al Shams, and Biharis were visible till the end of January – the war was pretty much on.

* The Rajakar killing incident I mentioned here took place immediately after our independence, probably with a week of independence – we were pretty much unofficially in the war then.

* Last but not least, it took place long before Bangabandhu’s Perdon and at that moment there was no literal order from interim Bangladesh Government to freedom fighters to handover the arms.

While my fathers (and his cousins and friends) attempt to go war was certainly a heroic work, unfortunately taking revenge on to the Rajakar can not be termed in the same way. I know it would have been ideal for my father and his groups to get out of the jail on 16th December, 1971 and go back to his village, capture the Rajakar and feed him good foods, take good care of him until he was handed over to the appropriate authority. But the reality was quite different….

War is not only about greatness and heroism; it is also occupied with lots ordinary acts and scar. I can certainly delete last portion of my post but will be considered as an attempt to tamper the truth. Therefore I have decided not to do so. I strongly believe If we want to know about our past we have to admit it fully.

sincerely -
Rajeeb Shahriar Roney (Kana-Baba)