View Single Post
Old March 17, 2011, 01:13 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal
Default "Even if I am not around for the next World Cup..." J Siddons

Tigers to tweak against Proteas

It will be 'horses for courses' for the Tigers in their last World Cup group B game as head coach Jamie Siddons has said that the South Africa team combination will play a role in the Bangladesh team selection.

Bangladesh have won back-to-back games against England and the Netherlands over the past week, but the think-tank used two different line-ups. Shahriar Nafees and Sohrawardi Shuvo came in to replace Rokibul Hasan and Naeem Islam but while the first was due to form, the latter was to make sure the Dutch right-handed batsmen were given the full left-arm spin treatment.

Siddons said yesterday that the only change in the team will come up when they sit to envisage the opposition's batting line-up.

"They (South Africa) have all-round strength. They have a very good fielding team and a very strong batting line-up. In their bowling, they have two great quicks and some excellent young all-rounders. But so are we, we have got a good balanced team," said Siddons during training at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur.

"We'll look at their make-up, try and predict what they pick and pick our spinners according to that. Whether we pick two lefties and two righties or three left-arm spinners yet I'm not sure but definitely two fast bowlers and the batting line-up will stay the same," added the Australian coach, who also confirmed that the team won't change if West Indies end up beating England, thus ensuring Bangladesh's quarterfinal qualification.

He said that he would keep an eye on the game at Chennai, promising to party if it goes his team's way. "Definitely I will keep an eye on it. I have a party to go and I'm sure the players will also watch the game. But we need to stay focused for the next game, that's the most important thing," he said.

"If the West Indies win, we will party tonight and focus on the next day. I don't really care how we go through. Everyone is relying on other results in some way or the other, so why not us?"

Siddons also pointed out that the Tigers are slowly becoming a team that has a number of contributors rather than a one-man show but recognised the role that Tamim Iqbal and skipper Shakib Al Hasan has played in the growth of the team.

"I've been saying for a long time now that it is not about Ash, Shakib or Tamim but about overall contributions. People who suggest that we win games because of Shakib and Tamim are now being proven very wrong.

"Imrul Kayes, (Junaed Siddiqui) Imrose are doing well. Shahriar Nafees comes in and makes runs and Shafiul and Rubel are bowling beautifully. I think (Sohrawardi) Shuvo didn't win the accolades but he probably won the match for us last time with his ten overs.

"There's an all-round performance going on here and everyone needs to acknowledge that. It's not just about one or two players but those two players are very important to our success and competing against big teams," said Siddons, who also mentioned the need for this group of players to be continued regardless of his involvement.

"I think we are two or three years early for this World Cup. Maybe in the next World Cup, these guys will be at their peak, which will be exciting.

"I have stuck with them for three years but in the past, new coach meant a new team. Even if I am not around for the next World Cup, the new coach needs to understand that this group will be fantastic in three-four years time," he explained.He also suggested that the Proteas should be worried that the two most important players in his line-up are yet to fire. "Tamim's failing at times and Shakib's not firing but our batting is fine. South Africa may beware that these two are about to fire," he said.

"He (Tamim) got three scores and he got two ducks, these sorts of things happen. He's an opening batter, a lot of the opening batsmen are getting out early. If he does well in the next game, I would say he had a pretty good first round," said Siddons, clearly urging his gun batsman to go for it against Graeme Smith's men.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=178157