View Single Post
Old July 23, 2012, 01:09 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

South Africa's Hashim Amla celebrates reaching his and his country's first Test triple century, against England at The Oval. Photograph: Philip Brown/Reuters
Quote:
Quote:
Hashim Amla is 'overwhelmed' by record-breaking knock for South Africa
Paul Weaver at The Oval
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 22 July 2012 22.08 BST

The biggest cheer from England supporters here yesterday arrived shortly after tea; Bradley Wiggins, it was announced, had won the Tour de France. The only other rousing shout marked Jimmy Anderson beating the outside edge of Hashim Amla's bat. The celebration was soaked in irony and was followed by sarcastic applause.

Only Don Bradman and Brian Lara have scored more runs against England in a single innings than Amla's unbeaten 311 here, making him the first South African to score a Test triple hundred.

Amla claims that he eats like a rabbit but, unfortunately from the perspective of England's bowlers, he does not bat like one. The only surprise is that this devout Muslim is eating at all, for it is Ramadan and in the past not even Test cricket has been allowed to interrupt the vigilance of his religious observance. Here, though, he has put fasting on hold.

"Because I'm travelling away from home I don't have to fast," he said. "So I haven't been fasting. But I will make it up when I get home."

READ MORE
It thrills me think about many more such innings to come InshAllah. He is pretty much unbreakable.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; July 31, 2012 at 11:46 AM..