View Single Post
Old September 4, 2012, 07:04 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
I can see where you're coming from re: you and I not being present, but at the end of the day, rewarding mediocre output has always been a problem for us. It was an U19 tournament, so he was playing against players roughly at the same stage of development as him. If he did get unlucky, he would have had average stats, but he has pretty horrible stats. Yes, numbers are not the be-all and end-all, but they don't lie so blatantly either. If he was really one of the top two performers in the team, it would have reflected in the stats, however slightly.

The coach and captains words are what you make of it - read Anamul's interview and you'll see how happy he is to have secured 7th (not 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th, but 7th) position - again, signs of a tendency to applaud mediocrity. And Sarwar Imran isn't the brightest coach out there, as he has proven during the tournament. Not claiming to know more than them - just can't trust people who are so easily satisfied. If this was Shakib talking, I'd definitely get excited.

Oh and there's no point comparing the Bangladeshi pay scale to the western world. Yes, we would ideally like to get to a point where our sportsmen get rewarded at a scale comparable to the top teams in the world, but the reality is that two lakhs is still quite a bit of money in Bangladesh, especially for someone who ended up 13th on the overall bowler's list (further down if you consider economy/#games played:wickets ratios). If he gets it then why doesn't Liton Das?
The criteria was simply for whoever scored the most runs and grabbed the most wickets. Taskin was clearly not our "best" bowler but he ended up with the most scalps. In this I don't think they were giving a reward to them for finishing 1st and 13th in the Cup, but rather being first on the team.

In terms of expectations this team probably exceeded them, without playing beyond their abilities. The middle order was non-existant the entire time and they stil managed to finish 7th. Most of us didn't even expect them to get out of the Plate stage.

We can cry out for the Cup before every tournament starts, but the reality is that we're not that good at any level or any format and it will probably be 15 or more years before we enter any tournament as one of the favorites.

If it makes you feel better, I'm sure the pay-out for winning the cup would have been more than 2 lakhs! In that sense they got a modest reward for a modest performance.

#OneTeam1Dream