View Single Post
Old March 23, 2011, 07:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

A status update on a Facebook page

Quote:
Just two days before the black night of March 25 and we have thousands of Bangladeshis waving the same flag under which the genocide began. Sad.
My edited comments on that page:

That cricket team carries their flag, unlike a club team from there, and therefore also represents that country politically, fact!

Sadly, Pakistan, as a nation, has yet to officially acknowledge and apologize for its crimes against humanity and the Bangladeshi people, and has yet to offer reparation to the surviving victims of those crimes, the way Germany compensates Israel for example. In fact, Pakistan has gone out of its way misguiding the world about the truth, and deliberately failed to fulfill its obligation under the Simla Agreement by refusing to try the alleged war criminals in its custody.

It was not "just the military" but also the popularly elected PPP and all of the Islamist parties that actively carried out genocide, mass rape, mass torture and brigandage in the name of Islamic and national unity. VERY FEW Pakistanis protested the atrocities and MOST were upset by the fact that they lost the war. FACTS! READ! KNOW YOUR HISTORY!!!

All decent Pakistani individuals need to inform themselves of the brutal legacy of their government's crimes in 1971 and before that, and then actively spread the truth. Hopefully such knowledge and resultant public pressure will eventually result in the acknowledgment, apology and reparations necessary to begin the long overdue expiation . Pakistan also needs to actively assist the Bangladeshi government in the International Crimes Tribunal underway here, rather than trying to subvert the process, while holding its own trials with regards to the accused in its territory.

Until that happens, unlikely in my lifetime, there are 4 things I'll NEVER do: 1) believe in religious supremacy, 2) hit a woman or a child, 3) vote Republican and BNP, and 4) support Pakistan, so help me GOD.

If it does happen in my lifetime, I may consider dropping #4.

To quote Rezaul Bari from that Facebook page:

Quote:
the notion that "I don't think sports should be intertwined with history, religion or politics rather should be viewed on it's own merit" is untenable at the end of the day. Take the case of a Pakistan vs Bangladesh match. Who among us will view the match on it's own merit?
Untenable indeed within our historical context. We're not carrying superficial baggage due to some pointless little war centuries ago, and to imply that it isn't anything more than that, and we ought to just move on and enjoy the game is either stupid or cruel or possibly both.

This half-baked attitude reminds me of the fallacy in another cliché with regards to stoic objectivity, rather than human passion balanced with fairness in journalism. Anyway, the discussion is about a flag and what it means to us, not the cricket or how great some of the Pakistani cricketers are to cricket fans everywhere. I loved watching Zahir Abbas, Javed Miandad, Wasim and Waqar as I love watching Gul and Misbah now.

Again we ought to wonder just how many Holocaust survivors would have waved the unchanged German, in other words the Nazi flag, within 40 years of their liberation from death camps, in a country where the atrocities took place, just 2 days before the date commemorating the beginning of the atrocities?

I don't know what's worse, the heedlessness of the Bangladeshi urban petit-bourgeoisie, or the Bangladeshi war criminals and their misguided children still getting a hard-on for Pakistan and their brand of Islamism/Totalitarianism. SHAME!

From a Bangla blog. Can't read Bangla? maybe you should learn.

Quote:
কতোটা ঈমানী জোর থাকলে সাচ্চা মুসলমান হওয়া যায়, পাকিস্তানীরাই তার সেরা নিদর্শন। যে আল্লার নামে আধা মুসলিম-পুরা হিন্দু বাঙালি মেয়েদের ধর্ষণ করে করে পয়দা করতে পারে নি এক প্রজন্ম সাচ্চা মুসলিম, সেই আল্লার নামে এখনো তারা মাজেদের সাথে ফিক্সিং করে, ক্রিকেটের মাঠে খেলোৎসর্গ করে।

সাধে কি বলি, বাঙ্পাকিরা পাকিস্তানে হিজরত করুন
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; March 24, 2011 at 01:54 AM..