View Single Post
Old July 7, 2006, 09:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Klose backing for Zidane
Striker Klose and team-mate Michael Ballack have both been named on the shortlist of ten for the prestigious award, which honours the most valuable player of the Word Cup. But Klose feels that Zidane, after a slow start, has had a huge effect on the tournament.

The veteran Frenchman has rolled back the years to inspire Les Bleus to the final, providing a fitting swansong to a glittering career that will end, win or lose, on Sunday.

"If I was to name a non-German player then I would definitely settle for Zidane," he told Sky Sports News.

"He is a great player, a strategist, and he puts the ball right into the forwards' feet, so he is a great player.

"Don't forget that in the first few games he had a hell of a time, he only shone in the past two games."

Klose also revealed that he was looking forward to witnessing one more magical performance from Zidane against Italy on Sunday.

"I would love Zidane to have a great game in the final and then pay his farewell to the international stage," he hoped.

Thierry Henry, Patrick Vieira, Andrea Pirlo, Gianluigi Buffon, Gianluca Zambrotta, Fabio Cannavaro and Maniche are the others in the running for the Golden Ball.

Source: SkySports